Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dog Leg Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
928S4

Saw this on Craigslist and didn't know any other models had this shift pattern. Also never heard it called "dog leg". So how many other models used this shift pattern?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 19 2014, 07:29 AM) *

928S4

Saw this on Craigslist and didn't know any other models had this shift pattern. Also never heard it called "dog leg". So how many other models used this shift pattern?

All 914's and early 911's had a dog leg first. Most 928's were automatics and I never owned one so I can't speak to that car.

You might be the small minority the never heard the term "dog leg".
hedfurst
I once heard this referred to as an old 'road-racing' pattern-from an old timer. Idea was that 1st and reverse were only used from a standstill.
jfort
agree. i always heard this referred to as a racing pattern.

QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jul 19 2014, 07:28 AM) *

I once heard this referred to as an old 'road-racing' pattern-from an old timer. Idea was that 1st and reverse were only used from a standstill.

SirAndy
QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 19 2014, 08:44 AM) *
i always heard this referred to as a racing pattern.

agree.gif

I was told that it was to prevent racers from accidentally ripping out of first when starting from a standstill back in the days before they were doing rolling starts.
smile.gif
michael7810
Wish my 944 had the dog leg pattern. I get confused after driving the 914
einic
Doesnt all old Porsches have that?
Even my 1986 Vanagon has that gear pattern. I find it very useful: in thight spaces shifting from reverse to first os just back and forth. And when in traffic: I use first only to get rolling, otherwise i use the other four gears.
As in my 914.
I think older europeen trucks use the same shift patterns.
Now tiptronic and similar systems take over.
GeorgeRud
It does sometimes get confusing as my 914-6 has the 'dogleg' pattern and my conversion car has a 915 trans. That's what makes it fun, though in the relatively flatlands of the Midwest, you can just about start in any fear if you want!
driving.gif
rgalla9146
All early 911s, 912s, 914s(- till '76) had the "dog leg" pattern until 1972
( advent of the 915 trans) except 4 speed cars.
I've heard it was called a racing pattern because 1st was used only once.....from the standing start. From then on only 2nd through 5th were used and those were in the easy to use H pattern.
Vanagon with "dog leg pattern" ? must be a Syncro.
jcd914
In 1979 the 924 went from 4-spd Audi trans to a 5-spd Porsche trans that had the "Racing Pattern". In 1980 the non-turbo 924s got an Audi 5-spd with the standard shift pattern.

All the 928 5-spd trans had the "Racing Pattern".

Jim
einic
All 5 speed Vanagons in Europe have dogleg patterns. Mine is a 112 hp 2wheel drive. Useless when snowing. Have to put weight in the rear to get traction.
einic
All 5 speed Vanagons in Europe have dogleg patterns. Mine is a 112 hp 2wheel drive. Useless when snowing. Have to put weight in the rear to get traction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.