Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Clunk" sound when I turn my stearing wheel slightly in either direction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
Only got to drive the car a couple of times before it got tore down but now it's coming along and I need to address this. Wheel has about a 1" slop in both directions and the clunk is coming from down around the gas pedal. Granted there a rack down there and some u-joint type of connections. Anyone have this before and what did you do.

Believe it or not the car actually drove ok with this movement but I'm not making this car nice to have this kind situation.

Dave
Downerman
[quote name='Downerman' date='Jul 19 2014, 06:05 PM' post='2063530']
Only got to drive the car a couple of times before it got tore down but now it's coming along and I need to address this. Wheel has about a 1" slop in both directions and the clunk is coming from down around the gas pedal. Granted there a rack down there and some u-joint type of connections. Anyone have this before and what did you do.

Believe it or not the car actually drove ok with this movement but I'm not making this car nice to have this kind situation.

Dave

Edit: oh yeah.... 1973. Renegade. 911 suspension. Look like Bilsteins on the front and KYB with 200 Lb coil overs on the rear.

warrenoliver
QUOTE(Downerman @ Jul 19 2014, 08:05 PM) *

Dave

Dave,

I had this once after having an alignment done. Turns out the left front wheel lug nuts were on only hand tight! chair.gif
Krieger
Get under the car and recheck the steering rack bolts. Maybe all the bolts in the steering linkage..
jmill
Coupler may be toast. Its under tank, in front and to the right of gas pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.