Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actor James Garner dies at 86
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Se some pictures of James Garner with a 914 captured in the TV series the Rockford Files. From Kevin Clarke's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/kevinclarke914/med...3121&type=1

Vysoc
He did a fantastic job in the movie "GRAND PRIX" a must see for all racing fans!!!
And they said that he could hold his own as a driver!!!

James Garner...RIP!!!

I used to love doing the Rockford backward donuts in the snow in my 71 Bug in Iowa parking lots!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
rhodyguy
back in the day on the R.F., his in reverse 1/2 spin to going forward was all the rage. often times with not much success. 2 porsche quotes from the show.

"what do you think i am? some secretary in a mid engine porsche?"

jim's cute attorney as he takes off in her 914, "i hope he doesn't speed shift it into 2nd gear". sure enough, he barrels out of a parking lot with a fast push to 2nd with out nary a grind.

apparently he was a very accomplished semi pro on the track.
KELTY360
Apparently he cut his driving teeth up on Mulholland Dr. in the hills of LA. He is mentioned early in a great thread on the bird board about the road racing that used to take place at night up there.

Mulholland Tales

Click to view attachment

RIP

pcar916
He was also a scratch golfer... very coordinated dude.

And I'm old enough to remember his tv show called Maverick.
URY914
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Great guy and actor. I always enjoyed watching his flicks.
aircooledtechguy
A real class-act both on and off the screen/track. RIP. . . flag.gif
Chris H.
Didn't his secretary on the show drive the 914 confused24.gif ?

RIP Jim Rockford!
dlkawashima
It was his lawyer, Beth Davenport, that drove first a yellow one, then the '74 (which looks to be Phoenix Red) on the show.
rhodyguy
beth davenport!! i thought i was delving into obscurity with the quotes and pull the name out of your memory bank. HIGH 5!!!
MartyYeoman
Enjoy!
brant
those look like 3 different cars?

side stripes on one, not the others
74 style wheels on one, and what looks like maybe hubcaps on another?
black painted 74 rear bumper with tits on one, chrome bumper on the early car

brant
Chris H.
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 21 2014, 11:37 AM) *

It was his lawyer, Beth Davenport, that drove first a yellow one, then the '74 (which looks to be Phoenix Red) on the show.

I stand corrected! If she was a lawyer she could afford 3! biggrin.gif Or maybe she did 1 year leases...
Cuda911
Years ago, my aunt an uncle were at a BBQ in Sherman Oaks, CA. Somehow, a spark from the grill had lit a lounge chair on fire and everyone was running around trying to get the hose connected to put it out.

There was a knock on the front door, and some guy said "I was driving down the street and saw smoke, and stopped to see if you needed any help."

It was James Garner.
sbsix
My favorite actor of all time. Loved him in everything because he seemed so unaffected by fame & fortune. Rockford Files was great; I loved Noah Berry Jr, who played Rocky his dad, I was madly in love with the actress that played Beth Davenport and Garner's character was perfect....plus Angel, his sometime sidekick.

Back in the day, I used to hit the bar at Paradise Cove in Malibu where they filmed the scenes at his trailer, just in case he might be around. Sure will miss him.
rhodyguy
rita moreno. she played the hooker with a heart. one of the first women i took notice of growing in that special adolescent way. hot latina chic in west side story.
ablesnead
I agree with his racing philosophy...quote I have no interest in straightaway speed, but in taking a thirty mile an hour corner at 29.9999.
infraredcalvin
RIP
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jul 21 2014, 03:31 PM) *

Enjoy!

Ha! I'm in the process of drawing the first pic!
Chris H.
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 21 2014, 03:28 PM) *

My favorite actor of all time. Loved him in everything because he seemed so unaffected by fame & fortune. Rockford Files was great; I loved Noah Berry Jr, who played Rocky his dad, I was madly in love with the actress that played Beth Davenport and Garner's character was perfect....plus Angel, his sometime sidekick.

Back in the day, I used to hit the bar at Paradise Cove in Malibu where they filmed the scenes at his trailer, just in case he might be around. Sure will miss him.

Awesome memories.... Yeah he was one of the last of the old school "bad ass gentleman" types. Newman and Garner were always my favorites. Unassuming, nice car guys making a living doing movies. And they sorta liked 914's! Newman was a big engine conversion guy. I want that Volvo!

Rockford Files is the first "grown up show" I watched. When we heard that "phone ringing" intro coming out of the TV room we RAN IN THERE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOqQ_roJ_Y

Turn up the speakers and get ready for the nostalgia to smack you in the face...(if you're old enough). A little extended opener a fan assembled.

Godspeed James.
pete000
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 21 2014, 12:58 PM) *

those look like 3 different cars?

side stripes on one, not the others
74 style wheels on one, and what looks like maybe hubcaps on another?
black painted 74 rear bumper with tits on one, chrome bumper on the early car

brant

It probably took three 914s to do the one episode !

I can hear the director now "What ! another one died ? quick, some one find me another orange 914 !" av-943.gif

RIP my friend I loved watching the Rockford file as a kid ! Always great cars and chase scenes! smilie_pokal.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 21 2014, 08:19 AM) *

back in the day on the R.F., his in reverse 1/2 spin to going forward was all the rage. often times with not much success. 2 porsche quotes from the show.

"what do you think i am? some secretary in a mid engine porsche?"

jim's cute attorney as he takes off in her 914, "i hope he doesn't speed shift it into 2nd gear". sure enough, he barrels out of a parking lot with a fast push to 2nd with out nary a grind.

apparently he was a very accomplished semi pro on the track.

He formed and owned the A.I.R. racing team for a couple of years in the later 60s- yeah, he could probably drive too! driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 21 2014, 08:40 AM) *

Another famous 914 guy Richie Ginther did all of the fancy footwork in the cockpit of the Gran Prix racer...piloted by James G.
Film editing cut the scenes between James behind the wheel and Richie's fancy footwork (filmed at Riverside Raceway) driving.gif The "F1" cars were rebodied formula vee VW powered racers, with correct v8 soundtrack dubbed in, complete with faux V8s ( props) seen in the bodywork. Real F1 racers were no doubt used in the movie, James probably in the real one in pit scenes and orbiting the racetrack here and there.
Great stuff...no green screens back then biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Another poor dumb uneducated okie who made it in the big-time. First class gentleman! Born Jim Baumgarner.
arkitect
I loved his Rockford files series. They look a little dated now but still enjoy them.

His part in the Great Escape is really good, along with Steve McQueen.

Dave
Drums66
....I dug the "western" he made called Sledge!GREAT story about Greed.
flag.gif bye1.gif (may he reach the golden gate's)
914xr75
Remembering James Garner on the 7th anniversary of his passing. I'll probably watch a Rockford Files episode tonight to celebrate him.
KELTY360
Loved his Maverick character because he was such a fallible hero. He’d get beat up, snookered, lassooed…but end up slyly winning in the end. He could always pull off that ‘innocent gambler’s’ persona.
76-914
Korean War Vet too. Dang it. Another good one gone. sad.gif
SKL1
Yeah, just watched "Grand Prix" the other night again. His closing scene at Monza is one for the ages...
StarBear
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 19 2021, 11:43 PM) *

Loved his Maverick character because he was such a fallible hero. He’d get beat up, snookered, lassooed…but end up slyly winning in the end. He could always pull off that ‘innocent gambler’s’ persona.

agree.gif Bret and Bart Maverick.
bludden
as a kid watching Rockford I have to say I loved that Firebird
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bludden @ Jul 20 2021, 10:31 AM) *

as a kid watching Rockford I have to say I loved that Firebird

agree.gif

My first car was a 69 Firebird, partially because Jim Rockford drove a Firebird.

Clay
914xr75
Click to view attachment

I didn't want any more collector cars, but four years ago one popped up in Orange County California for $2,900. Couldn't pass it up.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 19 2021, 09:05 PM) *

Yeah, just watched "Grand Prix" the other night again. His closing scene at Monza is one for the ages...

I saw Grand Prix at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome; what a terrific racing movie.
MM1
After 7 years of runnin' on the "Big Track" with the Greatest, I bet yer givin' em a run . . .it was so like you to stop to see if you could help put out a fire . . . Gentlemen like you sure are missed, Jim.
pfreiburger
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Jul 19 2021, 09:41 PM) *

Remembering James Garner on the 7th anniversary of his passing. I'll probably watch a Rockford Files episode tonight to celebrate him.

Thank you for posting this - it seems like just yesterday that Jim passed away. I have the complete Rockford Files set and they are just as much fun to watch today as when they were made. James Gardner left us something truly special.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.