Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hawk at Road America
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
vintage914racer
I just returned from the Hawk at Road America, the Midwest's largest vintage race weekend. The weather was beautiful, my car ran flawlessly, I got a personal best lap time and topped it all off with a 1st in class.

I have a lot of in-car footage that I will post in the coming days. In the meantime, enjoy this lap from my Thursday test session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Phln5sgb4?rel=0
Jetsetsurfshop
Awesome piratenanner.gif
More please
popcorn[1].gif
brant
super nice
we though about it, but didn't....
looks amazing though

what displacement are you at?
cool video
brant
ThePaintedMan
That looks like a blast! Very clean lines and patient. I loved the three-wide down the front stretch.

Nothing better than watching a 914 eat up 911s! chowtime.gif
vintage914racer
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 21 2014, 06:46 PM) *

super nice
we though about it, but didn't....
looks amazing though

what displacement are you at?
cool video
brant

It's a great event, although there is a lot of fierce competition. Weather was 75ish and sunny the entire weekend. Group 8 has turned into a dumping ground for newer production stuff, though. There was a 2 year old Mustang, a 2004 Mustang Cobra R, a gaggle of 944s, 911sc's and many more newer cars. Still a huge amount of vintage 914s, 911s and other cool cars though. The Fall Festival at Road America is a fun event that is quite a bit more low key.
vintage914racer
Here are a couple more pics. The latter is from the race car concourse. I have a video of the trip in for that that I'll try to post soon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Seabird
Super cool! Cant wait to see more video.

RA looks like a real nice track too!

Miguel
brant
great looking car

which motor do you have in it?

brant
vintage914racer
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 22 2014, 06:29 AM) *

great looking car

brant

2.5 liter short stroke 6
gms
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 21 2014, 10:38 PM) *

It's a great event, although there is a lot of fierce competition. Weather was 75ish and sunny the entire weekend. Group 8 has turned into a dumping ground for newer production stuff, though. There was a 2 year old Mustang, a 2004 Mustang Cobra R, a gaggle of 944s, 911sc's and many more newer cars. Still a huge amount of vintage 914s, 911s and other cool cars though. The Fall Festival at Road America is a fun event that is quite a bit more low key.

I will not race there until Jack is removed from his technical director position, he is clueless about 914s and probably most other cars. In 2010 he tried to put me in a NASCARs and Prototypes group with my 140hp 2.2L, I refused and he said I was running exhibition. He told me I need to take pride in my car and paint over it’s original IMSA paint job.
brant
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Jul 22 2014, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 22 2014, 06:29 AM) *

great looking car

brant

2.5 liter short stroke 6

So cool.
naro914
I've been wanting to run the Hawk, but I've always been concerned that my car would not be qualified to run in vintage racing.
The CEO of Hawk (actually of parent company Carlisle, but he's the one that approves the sponsorship of the event) is a friend of mine and keeps telling me to just sign up, they'll find a class/group for me.

Here's a video they put together. The guy in the red #22 RSA is another friend of mine (neighbor of the CEO) that I PCA race with...I was his DE instructor that signed him off to go solo way back when....
Dave (CEO) was driving the Hawk GTR that just won it's class at Pikes Peak with that wild wing/splitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeOiVrRTKJ8
naro914
Well, we'll see what class they want to put me in.
I had emailed the competition director Carl Jensen on Dave's recommendation. He said that Jack Woerle will be calling me...why do I suspect I will be in Group 10 - which is where the current WC and IMSA cars are?
brant
Bob.
You should build a vintage car
914's are old. They are vintage.
naro914
the last thing I need is another race car...
naro914
ok, talked to Jack yesterday.
I have to have a fuel cell and lower or remove my wing. neither will be easy or cheap to do, so I may just be out....sad.gif

Actually, it's the fuel cell thats the issue. With the new oil tank, oil cooler configuration and cool suit up front, there's no room for a fuel cell. and while I could use the Patrick one, it's only 10 gallons, not nearly enough for the PCA enduros. I would have to run it dry, then put 10 gallons in and hope I make it. Last enduro I did, we filled it, I came in after 60 minutes, put 5 gallons in...and ran out on the cool down lap after the checkered. Meaning I use at 20+ gallons in 90 minutes...

<sigh>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.