Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder install tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
Hey guys. I can't get the metal lines that go into the grommets on top of my new master cylinder to quit leaking. Initially I installed the master cylinder and then the the lines to the reservoir last. Next I loosened the bolts that mount the master to the car (with all the threaded metal lines still attached) and I felt like I got the lines pulled a lot more securely in the grommets. Didn't leak for days before I bled it and then a few days after bleeding it it started leaking again. I'm pulling my hair out. Any "tips"?
Mblizzard
Ok a couple of obvious questions. Did you use new rubber grommets for the lines? Did you make sure the washers were installed?

I have fought this battle a few times and as extreme as it sounds, I have had success removing the gas tank and taking the reservoir off its mounts and lowering the lines so they can be placed in the master cylinder while it is resting on the ground. Even the it requires a great deal of cussing. But you get a lot more control and cad apply more force to insert the lines.
TeenerTech
I agree pulling the lines down to install them is the best way.
be sure to bench bleed the master cyl really well or your brake pedal will be soft for quite a while.
I use an air chisel with the pointed bit that i modified to fit into the master and bounce it on the piston till no more bubbles come out seems to make the bleeding process go faster!!!
914bub
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. The master did have new grommets but they seemed shallower than the originals so I actually got it to stop leaking by installing one of the taller original grommets in the forward most circuit. The reason I said I loosened the master cylinder is because with it bolted in, trying to pull the lines deeper into the grommets the rear one hits the body. Once I loosened it and pulled the rear down a little further when I bolted the master back in the rear line cleared the body fine.
I'm ready to install hose clamps and call it done but I know that isn't the right way to go. Does anybody sell new grommets that are not after market?
Thanks,Bub
914bub
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. The master did have new grommets but they seemed shallower than the originals so I actually got it to stop leaking by installing one of the taller original grommets in the forward most circuit. The reason I said I loosened the master cylinder is because with it bolted in, trying to pull the lines deeper into the grommets the rear one hits the body. Once I loosened it and pulled the rear down a little further when I bolted the master back in the rear line cleared the body fine.
I'm ready to install hose clamps and call it done but I know that isn't the right way to go. Does anybody sell new grommets that are not after market?
Thanks,Bub
DRPHIL914
mine leaked and i realized that i did not put the new small washers in- they are placed in before pushing the gromet and line back in. if you dont have them in, it will not fit as tight and leak. - - is the M.C. a nrew OEM replacement porsche part? are you sure you are not leeking from one of the hard lines?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.