Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to overhaul
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
Time to overhaul the 7.7 liter six. Just about ready to come out. biggrin.gif
r_towle
About time you started the swap.

I must admit that is a unique donor vehicle, but we all make do with what we find.
Chris H.
Yeah there might be some clearance problems. Nothing too serious.
Krieger
Ouch! That's gonna hurt some.
brant
You going suby
Cap'n Krusty
There used to be a guy in Orange County that had 2 autocross cars powered by aircraft engines. One called "Hell", the other called Li'l Hell".

The Cap'n
horizontally-opposed
I don't get it. Why not run it 'til it dies? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

poke.gif
BK911
That's cool. Would love to see more pics as things progress.
76-914
2000 TBO on that engine or less? Go buy a big ol box of Kleenex for yourself and a large jar of Vaseline for the A&P. happy11.gif There are a couple of A&P/AI here. Maybe one of them would sign you off if you did the rebuild. idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
Even with the vast sophisticated array of tools and equipment in my hangar, I wouldn't want to take on the overhaul of this engine. lol-2.gif TBO is 1700. It has 1664 on a factory re-man. (that was done in 1968). dry.gif I'll be taking it up to Victor Aircraft in Palo Alto. I have to build an "A" frame and chain hoist to get the engine off the airplane first. welder.gif laugh.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 22 2014, 11:55 PM) *

I don't get it. Why not run it 'til it dies? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

poke.gif

Exactly! It's gotta have a better glide ratio than a 914... blink.gif
race914
Hey Elliot, I'm not too far away so I may be able to come up and help out if you need some extra hands.... Greg
Cap'n Krusty
Palo Alto? Why so far? There's an FAA Certified aircraft engine repair facility right here in Santa Maria.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
If you do come up this way, shoot me a PM! We can grab lunch or just BS. I'll even show you a 914 that doesn't exist, if you like!! biggrin.gif

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 23 2014, 11:16 AM) *

Palo Alto? Why so far? There's an FAA Certified aircraft engine repair facility right here in Santa Maria.

The Cap'n

Because these guys are in Palo Alto. biggrin.gif http://www.victor-aviation.com/
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 23 2014, 10:16 AM) *

Hey Elliot, I'm not too far away so I may be able to come up and help out if you need some extra hands.... Greg

Thanks for the offer Greg but I'm all set. I have an A&P/IA mechanic helping. All the work is done. I'll finish welding an "A" frame tomorrow so we can hoist the engine off the plane and on to my pickup.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2014, 05:23 PM) *

If you do come up this way, shoot me a PM! We can grab lunch or just BS. I'll even show you a 914 that doesn't exist, if you like!! biggrin.gif

--DD

Thanks Dave. I might do that. biggrin.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Thanks for the offer Greg but I'm all set. I have an A&P/IA mechanic helping. All the work is done. I'll finish welding an "A" frame tomorrow so we can hoist the engine off the plane and on to my pickup.

Is that cool by the FAA? I have a buddy with a Piper Apache, and he tells me he isn't allowed to do much more than change the oil and air up the tires. I suppose that he could probably pull the engine and take it somewhere for a rebuild, but I doubt that he could put it back in without the proper cred.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2014, 07:04 PM) *

The Cap'n

Because these guys are in Palo Alto. biggrin.gif http://www.victor-aviation.com/

I looked at the website this morning. Nice, maybe a bit tacky in places, and he sure toots his own horn. The guy down here has been in business since 1945, not since 1978. However, I do firmly believe you should spend your kids inheritance anywhere you want.

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 23 2014, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2014, 06:07 PM) *

Is that cool by the FAA? I have a buddy with a Piper Apache, and he tells me he isn't allowed to do much more than change the oil and air up the tires. I suppose that he could probably pull the engine and take it somewhere for a rebuild, but I doubt that he could put it back in without the proper cred.

That's exactly right. There is very little you can do to the airplane on your own. I will be installing the engine with the help, expertise and final log book sign off by an A&P mechanic who also has "inspection authorization".
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 23 2014, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 23 2014, 07:04 PM) *

The Cap'n

I looked at the website this morning. Nice, maybe a bit tacky in places, and he sure toots his own horn. The guy down here has been in business since 1945, not since 1978. However, I do firmly believe you should spend your kids inheritance anywhere you want.

The Cap'n

"He sure toots his own horn". Remind you of anyone? lol-2.gif poke.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.