Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Did some searches and some reading but wanted clarification and such.

I have a 75 2.0 that I am putting into a 71 car. I will be using the 1.7 heat exchangers from the engine that I pulled out of the car. I am also converting to a side shifter.

It is my understanding that the 75/76 bottom tin is different because of the HEs. My 1.7 was missing both bottom tin peices and I only have one side from the 2.0 which won't work anyway because I am changing HEs.

So I need bottom tin from any sideshift pre 75 motor right?

Does any parts place carry these or do I need to find used?

Sean
scotty914
only the driver side is different has a groove to clear the shift rod. so yes you need the drivers side bottom tin from a side shifter
MarkV
I think you are describing the "air guides". They are not as essential as the rest of the engine tin. My car came without them. I bought new replacements at AA. It's been a while, I don't know if they still sell them.
double-a
i've got a 75 1.8 that i'm in the process of converting to 73/74 2.0 liter exhaust. i was told that no new engine tin was needed.

~a
-JR-
I just yanked out all my engine tin that I have in the shop (engine is out and appart now) for my 75 1.8L car.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in the tim at first glance. Infact all the tin on the under side of the car is well up into the workings of the motor. I'll check my parts catalog too and see if I can't spot any differences on the underbelly tin. I'll reply when I've looked it over.

I don't have a pic of the underside of my car before I took it appart, but if memory serves me correctly, there should be no problems.

My 75 is still a side shift and was upgraded to a 2.1L at some point in the past.
-JR-
Ok, looking at PET it seems that the engine tin is different between engine sizes and not years.

So certain tin pieces came on a 1.7 and not a 2.0 or 1.8. As a general rule of thumb, most of the 1.8 and 2.0L tin parts are the same but the bulk of the 1.7L tin parts are just for the 1.7L cars.

Mind you, if you can massage the 1.7L tin to fit onto your 2.0L car then I don't see why it shouldn't work. Maybe you might have some small extra air gaps here or there that you should watch out for though.

I looked into the side shifter trans' as well. Acording to Porsche you could get a side shifter all the way back to 1970, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. They've just slacked on what diagrams are in what years I think. I seem to recall a little birdy saying that 74 was the change over year. Some were tail and some were side shift. So I guess if you wanted to have no question in your mind about what you are putting on, is to find a 74-1/2 car with a 2.0L engine that you can rape the engine tin off.

As per sourcing parts, I'm not too sure. I doubt Porsche still sells 914 engine tin and if they still do I'd imagine it's because they want some CRAZY money for them.

That's my 2c

-JR-
sixnotfour
does this help ?
sixnotfour
another
Rhodes71/914
What year is that last diagram from?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.