Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift knob crush ring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyeflight
My shift knob is loose, the old crush ring is not holding it tight. '74 2.0 LE
Does anyone know the proper method? I just got a new crush ring from Pelican.
Thanks!
bdstone914
QUOTE(eyeflight @ Jul 23 2014, 09:06 AM) *

My shift knob is loose, the old crush ring is not holding it tight. '74 2.0 LE
Does anyone know the proper method? I just got a new crush ring from Pelican.
Thanks!

Remove the old one, put the new one in the shift knob, push it on the shift rod. confused24.gif
914Sixer
I like to put the crush ring on the top of the shifter, then set the shift knob on top of it. Give it a hit with the palm of your and and it will seat it.
jmalone
The crush ring can be frustrating to install as the interference fit can be very tight. If you examine your crush ring you will see that one end of the cylinder is slightly rounded, this is the side that should face up towards the knob.

You will also see that the metal corrugation of the ring is wound in one direction. When you are installing the knob you will find that it is easiest to push the knob on in with a twisting motion, make sure that you are twisting in the same direction as the spiral. IE. "When looking at down at the top if the crush ring is circling the shifter in a clockwise direction, then install with a clockwise twist".

When installing the knob leave an eighth of an inch of the crush ring above the end of the shift lever. I then lock a small pair of vise grips on to the shift lever at the base of the crush ring to keep it from sliding down as the knob is installed.

Once the knob has started to fit onto the crush ring/shift lever you can take off the vise grips and push the knob the remaining way onto the lever.

(I also have written a 25page pamphlet on how to put on your pants one leg at a time.) drooley.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 23 2014, 01:07 PM) *

I like to put the crush ring on the top of the shifter, then set the shift knob on top of it. Give it a hit with the palm of your and and it will seat it.

agree.gif
VaccaRabite
I like to start with the ring 3/4 of the way in the knob, the last 1/4 sticking out. Get it started on the shaft and tap it a few times with a rubber mallet.

Zach
matt5596
Twice around the shaft with electrical tape will do the trick in a pinch.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Though I prefer a little white bond paper or felt.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.