Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my wheels, original or repro?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
baldprisonguard
IPB Image how do i figure out which of my sets of wheels are orig and which are repro. i have tow sets off a 2.0 all silver but two variations and two sets with black background finish one looke too new and perfect to be orig and the other looke as if its been around since74
skline
The numbers on the back will tell you. The aftermarket ones wont have the numbers on them. The aftermarket one are also thicker and heavier.
GWN7
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 21 2005, 11:00 PM)
The numbers on the back will tell you. The aftermarket ones wont have the numbers on them. The aftermarket one are also thicker and heavier.

As Scott said, the numbers on the inside of the wheels should be 901 361 016 90 or 901 361 012 04 if they are real.

And Welcome to the club IPB Image
seanery
and there should be a stamp of a fox head on the inside of a real fuch.
spare time toys
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 22 2005, 08:51 AM)
and there should be a stamp of a fox head on the inside of a real fuch.

You dont have a photo of the fox head do you? That may heal him know what to look for.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 22 2005, 06:13 AM)
You dont have a photo of the fox head do you?

This is what it looks like (bottom center) on a 5 lug 911 Fuchs wheel.
seanery
here's another pic, from a 951 wheel
Chris H.
QUOTE (baldprisonguard @ Jan 22 2005, 12:38 AM)
IPB Image how do i figure out which of my sets of wheels are orig and which are repro. i have tow sets off a 2.0 all silver but two variations and two sets with black background finish one looke too new and perfect to be orig and the other looke as if its been around since74

Definitely look for the fox and the number on the back. There is a good chance they are all original Fuchs, and someone just painted the backgrounds black on one set. Not only did a lot of owners do it, but some dealers did it way back when so they looked more like the 5 lugs. The repros sometimes have polished paddles and deeper recesses for lug bolts as well.
kafermeister
... 2.0 Repros have an additional step where the lug bolts go also. I'm not sure if they can even use the standard length (long) 914 alloy wheel lug bolts. Real 2.0 wheels don't have the step, just the seating surfice for the lug itself machined into the face of the wheel.

Rick
Trekkor
Maybe I'm just slow, but does "Fuchs" mean "fox" in German? IPB Image

KT
seanery
ding ding ding we have a winner! IPB Image
baldprisonguard
thank you all for the info , im peeling the sets that are on my cars off to check now!
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 22 2005, 08:05 AM)
Maybe I'm just slow, but does "Fuchs" mean "fox" in German? IPB Image

ayupp, it sure does ... btw. the S at the end is not silent, it is actually pronounced ...

IPB Image Andy
swood
For my 914th post I'll share the back of my 4 lug fuchs. I just happened to be double checking to see if mine were legit or not.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.