Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Hose Disconnected from Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
munkmunk
The vacuum hose that goes from my distributor (in my '74 2.0) to the throttle body, is missing. Is it required? What's the purpose of this hose? Must adjust the timing somehow? If I replace the hose, what impact will it have on how my engine is running?

Steve
McMark
That engine should have a vacuum retard line. It should affect idle only. Install it. It connects to the vacuum port that points toward the distributor body, not the one that points away.
Mike D.
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 21 2005, 11:58 PM)
That engine should have a vacuum retard line. It should affect idle only. Install it. It connects to the vacuum port that points toward the distributor body, not the one that points away.

IPB Image And for '74 there shouldn't be a port on the throttle body for a hose. (like '73) if you have one it would be sucking air and you'd have a high idle.
-Mike D.
DJsRepS
Put a hand vac pump to see if the part is good. Mine leaked on this test and had to be replaced.
munkmunk
Hmm...so if a '74 doesn't have a vacuum port on the throttle body to connect to the distributor, do I just leave it the way it is? If the port is there, I'll reconnect it.

Would this cause my idle to move up and down when is the engine first started and is warming up?

Steve
Bleyseng
No, that is lean hunt caused by a vacuum leaks in the hoses or worn out injector seals.

Geoff
munkmunk
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jan 22 2005, 09:13 AM)
No, that is lean hunt caused by a vacuum leaks in the hoses or worn out injector seals.

Geoff

Thanks. So which vacuum hoses are the usual culprits for "lean hunting"? Just replace all the vacuum hoses connected to the throttle body and other fuel injection parts? MPS, etc..?

Steve
McMark
For peace of mind, replace all hoses. For peace of mind plus bonus points, replace all the hoses with real metric lines (not SAE).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.