Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner introduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
karmann
I've been a member of the forum for a while now and thought it was time for a proper introduction. I've just purchased my first 914 from Oregon, this is where it gets interesting, I'm in the UK so the car is been shipped over the pond. It was collected last week and moved to Oakland in California ready to be loaded in a container then on it's way to the UK. To say I'm excited is an understantent! I've been actively looking for quite some time after selling a very nice Karmann Ghia and a 67 US spec cal look bug, both of these cars where in stunning condition and the Ghia was in my possession for some 16 years. You guys seem like a great bunch and the forum is a wealth of knowledge. Anyway here's a few pics of my old cars and my new Alaska blue 73.

67 US spec cal looker 2276cc 48IDF motor with all the cal look goodness!
IPB Image

71 Karmann Ghia very sad to see this go
IPB Image

73 Alaska blue beauty
IPB Image
ThePaintedMan
Very beautiful on all accounts! welcome.png
Java2570
welcome.png

Those are some nice looking cars!! You've come to the right place!
JawjaPorsche
Wow! You are definitely air-cool!

welcome.png
PanelBilly
How long before you get your car? Did they include the jack stands with it? See,, we're not only informative, but fun loving too..

And Welcome
karmann
Thanks for the comments guys, the shipping company have said allow about 8 weeks all in. Don't think this car will need jack stands anytime soon but I'm sure it will do at some point as I want to fully detail the underside.
76-914
welcome.png And a name change might be in order, as well. biggrin.gif Beautiful Ghia. Did you back date those bumpers? I've got a '68 and the bumpers look to be the same. You've progressed thru the ranks well enough. A natural progression. VW Bug, VW Karmann Ghia, VW Porsche. This illness can progress to stage 4 where transplants and experimental surgeries are performed on these cars. Kent beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Whats the paint code on that blue 914...it does not look like Alaska Blue Metallic, or maybe its just the lighting?
Drums66
....WELCOME....
flag.gif bye1.gif (some cool rides)
Cuda911
Great looking car.... congrats!!!! A 2.0? Any add'l pix available?
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png driving.gif
karmann
The colour code is 96b and is definitely Alaska blue, that pic has a filter on it. I'm going to mis the straight line acceleration of the bug, that beast was 170bhp and would see most things off at the lights, don't get me wrong it topped out at about 110mph on private roads of course, it had zero cornering capabilities as well but was a real blast to drive. The Karmann Ghia was the change over model so originally had the wrap around turn signals but I replaced them for bullets instead. It always had the towel rail bumpers but it's a European spec one so they are a little different than the US ones, it was a rare semi auto and just a very smart cruising car and was just as clean underneath as it was on top. The 914 is a 1.7, I know it's not going to be fast but I'm looking forward to having a toy car that will go round bends and we have a lot of them here in the UK. I used to have a Ginetta G32 car that was a very similar design to the 914, mid engine rear wheel drive and I loved how that drove.
karmann
Here are a few more shots of my car

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
karmann
Well the 914 landed at my home on Monday, I've spent the last few evenings just plating about and doing some detailing on the car. I need to replace the fuel lines and hose clips so what size hose and how much will I need to get?

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
karmann
IPB Image
SirAndy
Very niiiice! smilie_pokal.gif
ipadstott
That looks to be in very nice condition, you are gonna love it!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
johnhora
Welcome karmann....nice looking cars....I think your going to have a great time with your new 914....super color!
wndsnd
Got to love it!

John
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

Cool. Say hello to the Queen for us!
krazykonrad
welcome.png
karmann
Thanks guys, I can't wait to get some seat time, but have a few jobs to do before I can get it road legal.
PotterPorsche
I came from vws and still have them. my brother brought me over. built by karmann I'm in!!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
PotterPorsche
914 are addicting!!!!
abnrdo
welcome.png

I see you already have an addiction, you will fit in great here!
Hank914
welcome.png

Yes, say hi to the Queen Mum. If she ever comes state side, we might get her in the Limo if it's done. Better a 914Limo than some Brit Limo with Lucas and all that (I'm a former TR6er).

Love your car, send up some more pics when you have a chance.

piratenanner.gif
karmann
Changed all the fuel lines in the engine bay and took a few pics of the car. I also have removed the tie rods and I'm replacing with Lemforder turbo tie rod kit. I took a nice pic before the surgery commenced.

IPB Image
sb914
welcome.png nice looking cars.especially the Blue oneClick to view attachment aktion035.gif
tumamilhem
That is a damn good-looking car! I LOVE blue on a 914! Especially the medium-darker rich color blues (like Alaska). Don't see enough blues and if you do it's usually a lighter one like Olympic (not crazy about with the black contrast). Your other two VWs are very nice. I've always wanted a Ghia and a nice 60's Type 1. Congrats! I hope and think you'll love your 914 even better!
karmann
Thanks for the nice comments. I've fitted the turbo tie rods tonight and this means I'm getting closer to making the car UK road legal. I can't wait for a bit of seat time before our weather changes. biggrin.gif
green914
nice cars smilie_pokal.gif welcome.png
SixerJ
Welcome to the UK chapter of 914World! I think it's only you, me and a bloke in Northern Ireland...... lol-2.gif

Really nice car & it's mobile! Since the sale of my -4 back in the summer I'm having driving withdrawal symptoms and it will be a long time until my -6 is back on the road sad.gif

welcome.png
karmann
Got all the relavant documents to be able to use the car, took it for a 30 mile ride to familiarise myself with it, shifting from 1st to 2nd took a bit of getting used to. Really pleased with it tho and it's great fun to drive. It's a little quicker than I thought it maybe so I'm also pleased about that.

IPB Image
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.