Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transporting a 2nd set of wheels to AX.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john77
I was reading about ski/bike racks for 914s over on the bird site and it got me thinking, could you put a rack on the targa top and a rack on the rear trunk and safely transport a second set of wheels? I'm thinking either two on the rear, one on the roof and one in the front trunk, or even one on the rear, one on the passenger seat, if it will fit.

I can't be the first person to think of this, has anyone tried something like it, and did it end in tears?

I drive my car to and from events, and it's pretty much become my daily, so permanent slicks are out of the question.
Woody
Two in the passenger seat, one in each trunk. Used to do it all the time. beerchug.gif
john77
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 24 2014, 06:33 PM) *

Two in the passenger seat, one in each trunk. Used to do it all the time. beerchug.gif

Ahhh, duh, never thought about the back trunk, just imagined it would be too shallow. And then skis on the roof rack? They're so spacious these 914s...
Woody
I would put my 225 A6s in each trunk and my 275s in the passenger seat. That's fairly wide as Hoosiers run large.
mskala
I recently decided to do this to keep extra heat cycles and mileage off
the race tires and to survive if there's a heavy rain on the drive home.

You can use the tire hold-down thingy from the front trunk in the threaded
hole in the back trunk for the same purpose. In the front you don't really
need it as the tire is not going to be bouncing around. I got a 4-pack of
2-foot foam tiles from harbor freight and did some trimming to keep the
floor of the rear trunk in better shape. The tire doesn't really sit well due
to the floor bump but is better with the foam. Hoosier 205 A6 on 7.5"
wheel fits in there.
Chris Pincetich
With 205/50/15 Hoosiers, I fit 3 in the passenger space and one in the rear trunk. Use some old towels to protect seats/carpet and catch some of the rocks that fall off. I would put one in the passenger footwell, then two on the seat. Once I removed the passenger seat and drove w three in a stack where the seat was. It works beerchug.gif
ww914
With 205 Hoosier AXs, one in the front trunk and 3 in the rear. The lid closes just enough to be able to see over it through the rear view mirror. Of course, you have to tie everything down. No problemo. idea.gif
bulitt
Get a track trailer.

IPB Image
naro914
^^ bulitt, I LOVE that !
Nice car too!!

Can you show details of the hitch?

We do a lot of multi event weekends that we end up needing to tow the car just for the AX tires (can't put them in the passengers seat...Nadine would disapprove!) i've thought about the roof rack idea, but Like the little trailer better.
GaroldShaffer
I have a AX trailer setup also.

Woody
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 31 2014, 08:40 PM) *

nice setup beerchug.gif
naro914
QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 1 2014, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 31 2014, 08:40 PM) *

nice setup beerchug.gif

agreed. I mentioned it to my wife and showed her the pictures and she loves the idea! We go to a lot of multievent weekends (councours, rally, tours, autocross) that we end up having to trailer the car just to bring the AX tires. PITA honestly. this would be a much better option...
SirAndy
3 on the passenger seat and one in the trunk ...

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

naro914
wife wouldn't like that option Andy... sad.gif
ClayPerrine
Take an old, beat up targa top, and put a piece of plate steel in the inside and outside. Then put a pair of all thread rods up through the top, high enough so you can bolt a pair of wheels to each rod. Put one on right side up, add a nut, then put the other on upside down and add a nut.

When you get to the event, lift the top off and set it on the ground. Replace with your regular top you brought in the rear trunk.

biggrin.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 04:05 PM) *

^^ bulitt, I LOVE that !
Nice car too!!

Can you show details of the hitch?

We do a lot of multi event weekends that we end up needing to tow the car just for the AX tires (can't put them in the passengers seat...Nadine would disapprove!) i've thought about the roof rack idea, but Like the little trailer better.

That's TC's car and trailer, I just shamelessly posted it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 24 2014, 06:33 PM) *

agree.gif
mskala
And for $20 you can get a pair of tire totes to keep your
passenger seat clean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.