Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing my 914 back to her former glory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
My poor '74 has been sitting for what must be close to four years now. I started to worry when I started using it for extra storage. Spent the last few weekends cleaning my garage and the 914.

It's sitting without a motor, but I have freshly rebuilt 40 IDFs ready to go with port-matched 1.7 with larger (almost 2.0) valves. Just ordered AA 96 x 66 P&C's and a mild cam. Woo! Working on the motor with my good friend and machinist Soren Andersen here in Santa Rosa. I've always liked the short-stroke motors and 1911's have always been a ton of fun.

Also ordered Chris's SS center-tunnel fuel line and rotary fuel pump kit which shipped today. Pulled the tank and need to due just a little surface rust repair.

Should R&R the brakes. Have a 911 front end and rear hubs with SC aluminum front calipers. Should really send all that stuff over to Eric, but I'm not ready to make the swap. $$ is limited, so one step at a time.

My SSI heat exchangers were damaged from a parking-lot-like accident, so I need to have them repaired. Have a huge Triad dual muffler exhaust setup that must weigh almost forty pounds. Might try to sell that before I get the car up and running.

Lots of other BS stuff from painting the bumpers, to having some body work done by Mark at OC. Perhaps an Engman kit and new carpet too.

Here were were at Thunderhill, and then how it sits now (though I've cleaned the passenger compartment out).

Wish me luck!
shoguneagle
Glad to see you are back in business again. Best wishes and enjoy the 914 rides.

Steve
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! beerchug.gif
orthobiz
Keep posting progress. The "sorting out" threads always have twists and turns and interest me.

Paul
ConeDodger
first.gif
RoadGlue
AA P&C's arrived. Rings coming soon.

Went to order the Web Cam 86a and guess what? It's back ordered from Web Cam until late Sept. We were on track to get the bottom end put together within a month.

Options? Different cam that's going to be zippy and fun on my little 1911 w/ dual 40's? Really wanted that cam.

Seems it's made to order, and I didn't see it in stock anywhere. Just posted a WTB in the forums here and perhaps I should do the same elsewhere. I needs to be NIB, never installed, etc.

Boo.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 1 2014, 12:09 AM) *

AA P&C's arrived. Rings coming soon.

Went to order the Web Cam 86a and guess what? It's back ordered from Web Cam until late Sept. We were on track to get the bottom end put together within a month.

Options? Different cam that's going to be zippy and fun on my little 1911 w/ dual 40's? Really wanted that cam.

Seems it's made to order, and I didn't see it in stock anywhere. Just posted a WTB in the forums here and perhaps I should do the same elsewhere. I needs to be NIB, never installed, etc.

Boo.

this looks like the 86a ?,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raby-Aircooled-Tec...116&vxp=mtr

more choices?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...ts&_sacat=0

compare the specs?

Bill D.

Krieger
Good to see you back! What about Elgin?
RoadGlue
Elgin has REALLY scaled back his operation.

My machinist and I conversed and think the extra exhaust lift is a-ok in this application. I went ahead and bought the eBay RAT Type 4 Camshaft 9600.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raby-Aircooled-Tec...116&vxp=mtr

We're not spending a ton of cash on this build. Having fun, and my machinist has been doing this longer than I've been alive. We realize we could get much more anal about the build, but that's not what this is. I'll likely have just under 1K in this when I'm done. smile.gif
RoadGlue
I should mention that I had a number of the important parts already on the shelf, rebuilt and ready to go too.
greenie
Hi Randy,

That was a fast car (& driver driving.gif ) at the Santa Rosa Ramble!

You have some momentum going, keep at it, it will be better then ever!
ThePaintedMan
Never have seen your car before Randy. Looks like it's gonna be a hoot with the new motor. Can't wait to see some more pics (and maybe video) when it's up and running. Good luck buddy.
RoadGlue
Hey!

That was the run where we went up the coast, then came back inland on that crazy long road (Skaggs) and then ended up at the base of the damn for the group photo, right?

Yeah, I was hauling that day. Grown up a bit, slowed down a tad on the street. Feel like I was pushing my luck for years.

That too was a 1911, and it was quick! That had 1.7 heads, opened up close to 2.0 valve sizes, webers, port matched intakes... that's it though. Nothing special. As long as you kept it wound up it ran like gang busters. I remember someone asking me what size six I had in the car after that drive. haha... just keep the right foot mashed. That car's really balanced too. Sits on yellow konis with a big sway bar. Just a hoot.

Thanks for the memories!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 1 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Never have seen your car before Randy. Looks like it's gonna be a hoot with the new motor. Can't wait to see some more pics (and maybe video) when it's up and running. Good luck buddy.

Oh really!? Yeah, that's my babe. It's weird only having one 914 in the stable, but it's way easier to devote my attention to one project.

Thanks again for your help with the carbs. They look great and I know they'll run even better. I'll post photos of them all setup soon.

Hope you're doing great George,

Randy
RoadGlue
Just got my SS fuel line and rotary fuel pump (for front mounting) from Racer Chris. Feeling good!
RoadGlue
I haven't been able to locate the ignition key though. It has to be hiding somewhere. The car's been sitting for years, so I hope it hasn't wandered off too far.
greenie
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 1 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Hey!

That was the run where we went up the coast, then came back inland on that crazy long road (Skaggs) and then ended up at the base of the damn for the group photo, right?

Yeah, I was hauling that day. Grown up a bit, slowed down a tad on the street. Feel like I was pushing my luck for years.

That too was a 1911, and it was quick! That had 1.7 heads, opened up close to 2.0 valve sizes, webers, port matched intakes... that's it though. Nothing special. As long as you kept it wound up it ran like gang busters. I remember someone asking me what size six I had in the car after that drive. haha... just keep the right foot mashed. That car's really balanced too. Sits on yellow konis with a big sway bar. Just a hoot.

Thanks for the memories!

Yep that was one fantastic run you planned for us, I haven't done anything like it since, the open empty twisty road nothing but teeners, pure 914 joy! driving.gif
Krieger
That was a bitchen' drive! One of my favorites ever. It was me you and the 6 cylinder out front a ways...
RoadGlue
Ok! Update time.

Got the RAT 9600 cam and Parkerized Lifters from LN Engineering. The cam is a tweaked WebCam 86a which I had my eye on for a long while. I'm happy, my machinist is happy, we'll make it work.

Heads are 1.8 (woo!) with 2.0 valves which we'll be putting together shortly.

Here's a pic of the trunk of my 318ti this morning:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelrandy/14...tream/lightbox/

Rods are already rebuilt by him. We need to go over the case again, change out the galley plugs with the threaded type, etc.

Trying to decide if I should keep the stock style pump or go big. I've always gone big in the past and have had him open up the passages to the pump (on his recommendation).
RoadGlue
Also need to start thinking about the clutch. Sticking with a stock weight flywheel. Should I just go with a six-spring Sachs clutch, or go with something different? I've always had good luck with the nicer Sachs setups. Of course I'll get new pilot and throw-out bearings, bushings for the arm, etc. smile.gif
RoadGlue
Quick update. Brought all motor bits to my machinist yesterday. Looks like I have just about everything I need... just a lot of cleaning and painting to do with tin, etc.

My GT Replica engine lid from Sergio showed up yesterday. I know that adds at least 10 HP. :-)

Took off the top yesterday and realized that I don't have sun visors. Huh? Maybe they're stashed with the ignition key! Anyone making visors?

Here's a shot of the GT Lid:
Click to view attachment

Also bought the Weber rain hats from 914Rubber.com too.

Should I be concerned about water getting on anything else, like the dizzy?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.