Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 turbo motor in a 914? Anyone done one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Not sure if this has been done. Just wondering transmission wise what will bolt up? I know any motor can be converted with enough work. Just not familiar with the 944 motor's & what problems I'd run into. I haven't seen it done so that makes me think there must be something that makes it unpractical. This would be for my old v8 car. SO obviously water cooled is no problem for me. Plus it would be a Porsche drivetrain right evilgrin.gif
colingreene
you would need an adapter plate and you will likely have to cut the firewall to make it work.
KELTY360
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but isn't the 944 engine roughly half of a 928 engine? If that's the case, Rick's Alien build might add illumination. Feel free to flame unmercifully if I'm horribly misinformed. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
You'll spend more in converting the car and the adapter than you would putting the 6 that was meant for the car. Any "savings" by using a 944 motor would wash away quickly....just my opinion though.
3d914
If you do consider it seariously, look at the later vari-cam 3.0L engines. I remember playing with the idea back when I had a 924S (same 4 cyl as early 944). IIRC its the rear firewall that would need some mods - not the front. It could still be enclosed though, giving you a functional trunk.

Some may squak at the foolishness of such conversions - but I think it just goes to further prove the incredible versatility of the 914. Just my $.02

Keep us posted if you get serious.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 25 2014, 11:51 AM) *

You'll spend more in converting the car and the adapter than you would putting the 6 that was meant for the car. Any "savings" by using a 944 motor would wash away quickly....just my opinion though.

But his being in Corvallis, a water cooled engine’s heater and defroster are a welcome advantage…
race914
I know of one. It was a track car, and I think in Texas? Hopefully someone else has the details...
doorknobcollector
JRust,

My .02 from messing with 944s more than 914s, and trying to shoehorn an LS1 into a 944:

Just because an LS motor will fit in a 914, and it will fit in a 944, does not make a 944 motor fit well in a 914... The overhead cam is obviously taller, which would require cutting the rear trunk floor to clear the cylinder head/cam tower. The length of the engine should fit, but there would be almost no room to remove the timing cover to do belts/water pumps, which must be done every 30-40k (so you would have to drop engine every time or cut a huge hole in firewall). The clutch and trans adapter is doable, I think Kennedy makes one because some crazy guy put 944 motors in dune buggys. The fuel pump and lines shouldn't be a huge obstacle, but 944s can be finicky with fuel pressure. The water pump hose will also require some creative plumbing (it is a 944 only part, big where it connects to pump, small at radiator). Also the exhaust plumbing might have to get creative as well. With the engine tilt angle, I am also not sure if you would need to relocate the battery (probably would want to due to heat). All said you will have 140-150 hp, and an extra 100ish pounds, not exactly supercar status, but the torque curve of the 2.5 is not too shabby (and I doubt it would break a 901)...

So my vote is do it if you want to be different, but as a practical combo goes, too much work for the money...

Oh, the kicked out 944 oil pan would probably require shifter mods too,

Post pics if you do it please!
Nate

Edit: I just saw the turbo part of the post... That changes things, all above still applies, but more plumbing and heat. Intercooler location/mounting is the next thing that comes to mind. All said, that would be a fast car, but even more weight than an N/A conversion, and then you have to worry a lot about the drivetrain exploding depending on driving style. My new vote is put valve covers that say Porsche on an LS1 and call it a day
tomrev
Other than the thrill of the challenge, why this swap? A lot of work and invention for a pretty mild result. But I guess the chance to break new ground can be intoxicating!
Madswede
Jamie, I'd go with what my fellow New Mexican said in the previous post - it's probably just not much bang for the bucks, or the huge time/effort ... but then that's never stopped a 914 owner before. sawzall-smiley.gif screwy.gif

I'd also echo the sentiment of getting a 968 Variocam 3.0L motor if you're going to be seriously considering that sort of swap. No turbo/intercooler mess to deal with, and only a bit less power with quite a nice range of torque - probably in the danger range for 1st on a 901 transmission though. Stock they are ~240 hp engines and much better torque than any 944 engine and even better or the same as the 951s, going off the ones I've driven.

I once asked Joe O'Brien (Series9) about the feasibility of putting my 968 motor in my 914 and his response was: "Anything can be done, if you've got the time and money." Sums it up nicely, I think. rolleyes.gif

Those motors are out there - but from experience, the balance shaft seals, cam seals, Variocam bits, and belt maintenance are such common and annoying (and for belts, expensive if not downright fatal to the engine!) failure/problem points that putting it into a 914 seems like being a glutton for punishment, given the lack of room to work on them.

Just my $0.0234596 worth, adjusted for inflation and the actual worth of my knowledge.
iamchappy
I dont understand why only a few of us have used the 930 turbo engine as an option, they fit in so nice without all the plumbing associated with water cooling and adapters and wiring harnesses. Fitting the turbo and an intercooler is really not that tough..

My experience with the 944 engine i never would consider using it in a 914.
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 25 2014, 01:49 PM) *

Maybe I'm oversimplifying but isn't the 944 engine roughly half of a 928 engine? If that's the case, Rick's Alien build might add illumination. Feel free to flame unmercifully if I'm horribly misinformed. biggrin.gif

agree.gif The 944 engine is EXACTLY HALF of the V8 used in the 928. Rick's firewall is movedforwards IIRC.

944t:

Click to view attachment

928:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's one big mutha...either one of them.
JRust
Okay this was why I posted. I came across the 944 turbo & could have picked it up. So posted this morning real quick to get some input. Half way through the day I had decided I was out of it when I posted. I think I decided about an hour after posting there was no way I am going to do it. I still appreciate the input as I would have come to the same conclusion after reading your guys input. Sometimes it's just fun to think through a project. I'm much better at thinking about them & starting them. Than actually finishing them dry.gif

Instead of getting the 944T I bought another 914 tonight. Piece of crap 75 with a 1.8.
funk
just from a green horn learning from all the 914 was all set up around the aircooled boxer and all the serious handling from the boxer dynamics would be lost.
Andyrew
I think the biggest challenge will be the clutch assembly.

A 944 engine would be great because it says "Porsche" on it. Apart from that, the Audi 1.8T is a better engine to use all together. The Audi engine can be found in pasats and A4's in every junkyard, Find a manual FWD and you can even use the trani setup. They are bulletproof strong with some drop in rods, can make twice the power of the 2.5L on half the budget and are reliable as can be with normal maintenance.
Chris H.
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 25 2014, 09:10 PM) *

I'm much better at thinking about them & starting them. Than actually finishing them dry.gif

Instead of getting the 944T I bought another 914 tonight. Piece of crap 75 with a 1.8.

Me too...much better at dreaming them up than finishing them. In my mind I've done 1000 swaps. It would be a cool swap if it was just a bit shorter. 3 inches or so.

A '75 1.8???? Ewwww! (I have one myself before anyone gets cranky)... I'm sure the condition is the crap part.
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 25 2014, 08:44 AM) *

Not sure if this has been done. Just wondering transmission wise what will bolt up? I know any motor can be converted with enough work. Just not familiar with the 944 motor's & what problems I'd run into. I haven't seen it done so that makes me think there must be something that makes it unpractical. This would be for my old v8 car. SO obviously water cooled is no problem for me. Plus it would be a Porsche drivetrain right evilgrin.gif

put your ls1 in it better than any porsche engine

jerry
r_towle
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 25 2014, 10:10 PM) *

Okay this was why I posted. I came across the 944 turbo & could have picked it up. So posted this morning real quick to get some input. Half way through the day I had decided I was out of it when I posted. I think I decided about an hour after posting there was no way I am going to do it. I still appreciate the input as I would have come to the same conclusion after reading your guys input. Sometimes it's just fun to think through a project. I'm much better at thinking about them & starting them. Than actually finishing them dry.gif

I thought you promised to stop buying shit box cars....
JRust
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 26 2014, 03:46 PM) *

I thought you promised to stop buying shit box cars....

I did just turned out to be to good a deal to pass up. I don't plan to keep the car long. Some of the extra parts I got will get good use evilgrin.gif .
veekry9
Some time ago I considered the tranverse installation of a 944 engine into the 914,
Creating the economical 4cyl conversion that it could be.An all Porsche turbo installation may have some attributes suitable for the mid layout.
I've searched this site for the conversion list to no avail as I'm sure I haven't come across anyone doing the swap.Transverse for the 6 Gear trans from gm.
Click to view attachment
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/Prod3.htm
On a similar note,here's a fellow with an interesting conversion into an interesting
car.
Click to view attachment
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=9648
Has anyone here done this conversion?
An Audi 8 into 914.
Andyrew
At this point Audi's v8 engines are found quite often in local junk yards. You can even find a running and driving A6 v8 or A8 for a couple grand. Connecting them to a 6 speed trani wouldnt be that bad but 99% of them are awd, so converting to FWD would require welding the center diff and just installing them that long or using a boxster trani. The entire assembly would be very long and require quite a bit of fab.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
I have finally got hold of an ABZ from Germany and have balanced a 6 speed 01X gearbox onto it for giggles

Hilly's installed this tx into his Lotus,2wd.
The sucessfull fab and engineering skills displayed may give some of you impetus to
carry on regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.