Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Horn placement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I just got my horn working... sounds like crap, probably 40 years old. And I just realized that the car came with 2, dual tone horns. I am curious, does one go in the right grill and one in the left, or do you try to stuff them in one side. I was lucky enough to win a New Out of Box set from Ebay that will be here next week for me to install.

My car is a 75, but I have back dated the bumpers and added fog lights, so I have the grills.

I vaguely remember some screwy wiring up front, a connection that did not have a mate, so I guess that is for the 2nd horn?

Am I guessing right on installation and wiring?

Clark
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jul 25 2014, 12:13 PM) *

I just got my horn working... sounds like crap, probably 40 years old. And I just realized that the car came with 2, dual tone horns. I am curious, does one go in the right grill and one in the left, or do you try to stuff them in one side. I was lucky enough to win a New Out of Box set from Ebay that will be here next week for me to install.

My car is a 75, but I have back dated the bumpers and added fog lights, so I have the grills.

I vaguely remember some screwy wiring up front, a connection that did not have a mate, so I guess that is for the 2nd horn?

Am I guessing right on installation and wiring?

Clark

On the 75 they actually mount on the bottom one on each side just behind the bumper. There are brackets they screw into welded in the location... I don't remember how the wiring looked...
1970 Neun vierzehn
Clark,
I can only address early 914 horn placement, as the pics show my '70/4.
Note that one horn design is on one side, another design is on the other. The first photos will show placement/location prior to restoration. the last two photos show correct installation after re-assembly. Note that the horns are somewhat visible behind the foglight grilles, their differences are apparent.
lonewolfe
Looks like you have a very nice car there. I like the Cibie headlights! Or are those Marchals? I think Cibie!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Right you are, lonewolfe beerchug.gif Cibie they is!

Paul
Larmo63
Those are really nice photos of the yellow car. They almost look like showroom shots!!
toolguy
full view. . horns come apart and can be repaired. . often the contacts inside just need cleaning, and the tone of the horn can be adjusted by the set screw. .
malcolm2
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 25 2014, 08:23 PM) *

full view. . horns come apart and can be repaired. . often the contacts inside just need cleaning, and the tone of the horn can be adjusted by the set screw. .

When I take my old one off, I'll check it out and see if it can be repaired. Maybe someone out there has the other, lower Hz one and I can pay it forward.

But as I mentioned, I only have the one. My eBay purchase was $8 shipped for two new, rarely used ones.... I hope that is what I get. and I had some eBay bucks. So this is a cheap experiment. Thanks for the input and pictures.

Clark

malcolm2
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 25 2014, 07:49 PM) *

Right you are, lonewolfe beerchug.gif Cibie they is!

Paul

Love that color of yellow. Great job on the resto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.