Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT But Porsche: Anyone have a link to a type IV conversion in a 912?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Looking for a link on this site or another site you may know of for a type IV conversion in a 912. Long story but the 912 we have has a bullet through the valve cover. The head stopped it... screwy.gif

No I don't want a Subaru.
mepstein
Rick - lots of threads on 912registry

912bbs.org
rick 918-S
Got a bullet in the head. This is the truest barn find car ever.

Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
Get a new valve cover?
rick 918-S
Nay, It's coming out. Type IV is going in.
r_towle
Nice....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 25 2014, 11:04 PM) *

Nice....

How big of a drunken red neck would you have to be to lay on the ground and shoot a hole through the valve cover into the head. screwy.gif

Looks weld-able though. welder.gif
mepstein
912 engine parts sell for good money these days
Porschef
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 26 2014, 12:07 AM) *

Nice....

How big of a drunken red neck would you have to be to lay on the ground and shoot a hole through the valve cover into the head. screwy.gif

Prolly his first time tryin to adjust the valves... ar15.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 26 2014, 07:01 AM) *

Nice....

agree.gif Stranded one time too many lol-2.gif
RRietman
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 26 2014, 05:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 26 2014, 07:01 AM) *

Nice....

agree.gif Stranded one time too many lol-2.gif

I put 2.0l in my 68 912 about 20 years ago. that car is still running around town and has been absolutely bulletproof. the motor mount and engine tin is just some plain fabrication. use a 914 flywheel/911 clutch and it bolts right up. there are some gearing changes that will make it work better, but I never did them and it drove just fine.
Randy
aircooledtechguy
C'mon Rick. . . Everyone know that a type-4 can't look correct or at home in a Porsche 912 or a 356. . . It's a futile attempt at best. . . Everyone with brains knows that the only solution is to spend 2-3X as much to get a lesser 616 motor. . . It CAN'T BE DONE. . . rolleyes.gif bs.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's one I did a couple years ago for a local guy with a '68 912. I recycled the fan shroud, oil filler and a few other goodies (un-molested) which gave it a "factory skunk-works" feel with factory reliability This car will smoke a 911 of the same era and his 401K is still in tact. . . shades.gif

Like I said, it can't be done. . . poke.gif

MMW
Not really any help to the OP but here is one in a later 356. Looks right at home.
McMark
I have templates for the 912E motor mount bar and chassis mounts as well as the fiberglass outer tins to work with the DTM system. Technically I don't make them anymore, but I will for you.

I've also done a stock cooling 914 engine in a 912 wheni was younger. Worked fine
rick 918-S
I knew you guys would come through. Thanks for the photos. Rich Towle suggested a type I fan setup as an upright option. For now were just going to do a top end rebuild on a 2.0 I had sitting under the bench and leave it stock cam and cooling with a set of 40 webers. With the way these early 912's are rising we may want to put the stock engine back in some day. The less we take off the engine the more likely we will protect the value down the road.

Mark, I tried to call you but your VM stated you were out til August. Call me when you get a chance. I'm interested in the mount and patterns.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 26 2014, 03:12 PM) *

C'mon Rick. . . Everyone know that a type-4 can't look correct or at home in a Porsche 912 or a 356. . . It's a futile attempt at best. . . Everyone with brains knows that the only solution is to spend 2-3X as much to get a lesser 616 motor. . . It CAN'T BE DONE. . . rolleyes.gif bs.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's one I did a couple years ago for a local guy with a '68 912. I recycled the fan shroud, oil filler and a few other goodies (un-molested) which gave it a "factory skunk-works" feel with factory reliability This car will smoke a 911 of the same era and his 401K is still in tact. . . shades.gif

Like I said, it can't be done. . . poke.gif

That looks very stock with the oil canister and throttle linkage. Very nice.
Mikey914
With the price of 912's going up Hold on to the original motor, it may be worth more to the new owner if you ever sell.
I snapped a crank on a 66 I had, built a Type 2 monster for much less than rebuilding the original. It was 20 years ago, but I got $1500 as it sat. Hindsight wish I had held onto it.
euro911
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 28 2014, 12:56 PM) *
I have templates for the 912E motor mount bar and chassis mounts as well as the fiberglass outer tins to work with the DTM system. Technically I don't make them anymore, but I will for you.

I've also done a stock cooling 914 engine in a 912 when i was younger. Worked fine
Hey, let me know what those components would cost too, Mark idea.gif

I've been debating sticking a refreshed '69 2L '6' into my '67, or a 2L T4 that's just sitting here. I hate buying 9 qts of oil for the '6' every 3k miles dry.gif

Sharp looking conversion, Nate thumb3d.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.