Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder recommendation Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore9one4
I am looking for a welder recommendation..Prefere one that runs off 110 if that is possible.. Will be welding sheetmetal. I could run a 220 off an extension from my dryer(I researched a "how to" on that already) I don't care if its a Harbor Freight model as long as it lasts long enough to finish this project. I would like to stay in the $300 range... Thanks
914dave
Bob
I would recommend the Millermatic 140. It runs off of 110V. I took a body shop class a few years backand they had those at the school. The Millers have a soft start technology that makes it easier to weld thin gage metal. It was much more forgiving than my old L Tec. I've seen them for around $700 online. I was lucky that the girlfriend could get them at wholesale where she works. Good Luck
Dave
jmill
Going to be tough to find a new one your happy with at that price. Look at Craigslist for used deals. If you do decide to buy a new one I'd stick with an off brand like Century (Lincoln) or Hobart (Miller). Parts are easier to come by and some of them are shared with the higher priced name brand. 220V models worth buying may be out of your price range.

Look for one with the most adjustments on heat and feed and the option to go with gas.

I have a 220V Hobart Handler 187. I'm very happy with it but it was much more than $300 when new.
Steve
I also love my millermatic 140.
914itis
I have a miller magic 140 I picked up on Craigslist for $450
nomore9one4
Thanks Guys! Great info...I may have scored a Lincoln 170 or 180 I believe..220volt beerchug.gif Now I need to order an extension for power welder.gif
injunmort
i have a century (Lincoln) 180 that came with cart and gas connections for $350.00 delivered. i have been very happy and it plugs into the wall.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 26 2014, 01:15 PM) *

i have a century (Lincoln) 180 that came with cart and gas connections for $350.00 delivered. i have been very happy and it plugs into the wall.

Good news! I actually got mine for free on loan from my brothers..Turns out his "used once"and with all the fixins is just collecting dust in his garage and I can use it as long as I need...Hes probably not getting it back! biggrin.gif

draganc
If the welder doesn't have shielding gas, do yourself a big favor and upgrade it asap.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(draganc @ Jul 26 2014, 04:48 PM) *

If the welder doesn't have shielding gas, do yourself a big favor and upgrade it asap.

It does...Thank you for the heads up!
rnellums
I bought an eastwood mig for 300 shipped. It welds really nicely to be honest!
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 26 2014, 08:50 PM) *

I bought an eastwood mig for 300 shipped. It welds really nicely to be honest!

agree.gif I have the 220v model, easy to use out of the box.
TargaToy
The Millermatic 140 is what I use and it's great. aktion035.gif
nomore9one4
Eastwoods Welders are on sale right now if anyones interested! welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.