Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I have been chasing a hard acceleration miss in my 2056 and think it may be that the points plate is binding sometimes. I can move it with my finger but I have a bad miss that starts at 3500 on up. I noticed today that it is not everytime and if I back out of it and apply the accelerator slower it tends to go away.

So I was wondering if there is a good tutorial or documentation of cleaning/rebuilding a distributor? How far does it get taken a part? anything I need to watch for?
bdstone914
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 26 2014, 02:17 PM) *

I have been chasing a hard acceleration miss in my 2056 and think it may be that the points plate is binding sometimes. I can move it with my finger but I have a bad miss that starts at 3500 on up. I noticed today that it is not everytime and if I back out of it and apply the accelerator slower it tends to go away.

So I was wondering if there is a good tutorial or documentation of cleaning/rebuilding a distributor? How far does it get taken a part? anything I need to watch for?

Check the vacuum advance and retard with a vacuum tester.
You can take them apart from the top down but I find it easier to drive out the pin from the drive at the bottom and pull them all apart. Pull out the points plate and then the shaft and counter weight assembly. Sounds like a spring on a counter weight may be missing or broken. Not sure were you can get correct springs. I rebuilt some 356 distributors and got the parts from Stoddard.
jmargush
Great, thanks

what is the recommended lube for the advanced plates?
Also this is a L -jet Dizzy is it still assembled pretty much like the 2.0 in the attached link minus the trigger points?
bdstone914
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 26 2014, 06:47 PM) *

Great, thanks

Also this is a L -jet Dizzy is it still assembled pretty much like the 2.0 in the attached link minus the trigger points?

Pelican sells a non flammable dizzy grease. They all go together about the sane. Take some pictures before you take it apart to remember the orientation of the parts. There are different lenght screws t hat must go in the right spots.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 26 2014, 06:47 PM) *

Great, thanks

Pelican sells a non flammable dizzy grease. They all go together about the sane. Take some pictures before you take it apart to remember the orientation of the parts. There are different lenght screws t hat must go in the right spots.
jmargush
I can't seem to get the points plate out of the dizzy.
there are two crimped indents on the outside of the body do these hold the points plate in? if so is there a way to get it out over them?
dlee6204
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jul 28 2014, 07:49 PM) *

I can't seem to get the points plate out of the dizzy.
there are two crimped indents on the outside of the body do these hold the points plate in? if so is there a way to get it out over them?

You rotate the plate until the indents are in an "opening" of the plate. Then it should just lift out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.