Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 transmissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
I have a 75 914 and the transmission won't stay in 1st gear and is sometimes hard to shift into 2nd. If i replace the tranny with another one, is there a certian year I should buy? Can you convert the earlier year 914 or a 911 901 trans to fit the later 914's?
skline
Check your clutch adjustment, unless its grinding really bad going into 1st and second, I would check your clutch first. As for the transmission, you would be able to bolt any 73 up trans into the car with no modifications to anything.
lapuwali
You want what's called the side-shifter transmission. They're all the same. However, they're all old and unless you find one you know has been recently rebuilt, it's not likely to be any better than the one you took out.
jr91472
IPB Image

Fix your own, otherwise you'll just be fixing someone else's problems. At least you know the history of your current tranny.

i speak from experience IPB Image
14Maschine
I have a 75. She shifts into 1st while moving. You have to go realy slow through the gate when going down into 2nd. The 914 transmission is the 901. Side shifter is better then tail shifter. The 911 tranny is a 915 isnt it?
lapuwali
Early 911s (up to '72) used the 901, which is very similar to the 914 gearbox, except for the end of the case and the shifter mechanism. The 915 was used on '72-on 911s until well into the '80s.
Joe Bob
All 914 transmissions are the same except for the 914/6 model....different gearing. Tail shifters can be converted to side shifters if you have the external parts to swap out from another side shifter........
Justinp71
Is it easy to rebuild the side shifter 901 trans? I have an extra that is torn apart they look like typical manual transmission, just all gears. Any tips on rebuilding them or getting one rebuilt would be gladly appreciated.
SirAndy
QUOTE (14Maschine @ Jan 22 2005, 11:54 AM)
The 914 transmission is the 901.

nope. the 901 is actually a 911 transmission. all 914 transmissions start with a 914 part number.
however, they are very similar to the 911 901s, hence the common mistake to name our trannies 901 ....

in any case, you can modify your tailshifter to sideshifter. the internals are the same. if you have a donor sideshifter, you can swap the parts needed to convert.

i agree with the other guys here, unless you buy a known to be freshly rebuild sideshifter, you'll never know if what you're getting is any better than what you have.

have yours rebuild and be done with it!
IPB Image Andy
wrpspddrvr
Are there websites that sell the parts to convert from tail to side shift? How difficult is it to do?

Cole IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Jan 22 2005, 09:35 PM)
Are there websites that sell the parts to convert from tail to side shift? How difficult is it to do?

well, you need more than just the tranny.
new shift-linkage and new shifter as well ...

i got all my stuff from a porsche dismantler ...

try:

EASY
European Auto Salvage Yard
Porsche Parts and Accessories
4060 Harlan Street
Emeryville, CA 94608
tel.: 510 653-3279

or

High Performance House
Porsche Parts and Accessories, complete Service and Repairs, Race preparation
2431 Spring Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
tel.: 650 364-6234

IPB Image Andy
wrpspddrvr
Hmm. Good deal. Thanks.

Quid pro quo, eh Andy?
IPB Image

Cole IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Jan 22 2005, 09:48 PM)
Quid pro quo, eh Andy?

ayupp ...

IPB Image Andy
Dr Evil
Search red-beard here and in the resources section on this site. He has the parts, and experience and coule either do it for you, or sell you what you need for a good price.
HTH
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2005, 10:00 PM)
Search red-beard here and in the resources section on this site. He has the parts, and experience and coule either do it for you, or sell you what you need for a good price.
HTH

Sweet. Thanks!

Cole IPB Image
balthazar
The side-shifter swap isn't that hard. I just finished with mine 24hrs ago. I did most of the disassembly and assembly. My friends Dad did the critical parts, namely the "shim", which goes between the "bell" and the intermediate plate. This stack of what looks like very thin gaskets is what sets the pinion in the differential. You have to be super careful with these as they are calibrated for that specific intermediate plate and case. Otherwise, just pay very close attention to detail (after reading redbeards article, and anything else you can find of course!). Not only do you have a lot of small parts to deal with, you have to remember the order they were installed in. Those suckers will fall out on you, and get all mixed up you if are not careful! Ask me how I know... IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.