Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone make floors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
While crawling under the Banana to get some stuff I dropped I took a good look around. I dont know how I never saw the 2 1/2 foot by 3 1/2 foot chunk of 16 ga pop riveted in as a floor on the Pass side. I think it may just be a parts car after all IPB Image
skline
Its still worth saving. Floors are easy to repair. You give up too easy. Invest in a welder and put a new floor in. While you are in there, put in one on both sides to match and weld in some reinforcments.
GWN7
Floors here. $115 for the front and same for the rear.
spare time toys
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 22 2005, 02:16 PM)
Its still worth saving. Floors are easy to repair. You give up too easy. Invest in a welder and put a new floor in. While you are in there, put in one on both sides to match and weld in some reinforcments.

Hey now I aint given up yet. Just checking all options on this. I need to learn to slow down and do that or Ill end up with a 928 and ......OH YEA see what Im saying.
spare time toys
here is the drivers side
spare time toys
And THIS is the pass. side it could have been an atempt at a belly pan tp aid airodynamics IPB Image
ws91420
The PO on mine had a solid sheet welded on the bottom of mine. I'm afraid to even think what would happen if I removed that fix IPB Image
jd74914
And THIS is the pass. side it could have been an atempt at a belly pan tp aid airodynamics wacko.gif

no its definately a skid plate IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image

Well, to be a brutally honest kind of guy--I just glassed in the drivers seat floor--I just do not have the time or $$$ to replace it....at least I know what is there and now it is stronger for my fat ass... IPB Image
jd74914
Well, to be a brutally honest kind of guy--I just glassed in the drivers seat floor--I just do not have the time or $$$ to replace it....at least I know what is there and now it is stronger for my fat ass... lol2.gif

You better hide, you're a disgrace to the 914 community. Fiberglass IPB Image

J/K IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
I just ordered another set of the left and right pan sets. I've used both. I like Restoration Design stuff alot, but the L & R pans are better and already have the seat mounts attached. PM me for more info. I'll try and get some pics today for you.
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 22 2005, 12:44 PM)
I just do not have the time or $$$ to replace it....

with access to the right tools, it's a 30 minute job to do it right.
if you don't want to fork out the $$$ for a new floor from RD, get a used one from the junk yard or a fellow club member.
if that is still too expensive for you, get a sheet of metal, cut out the rust, and weld that in instead. IPB Image
it will still be much better than a fiberglass-patch. IPB Image

your teener should be worth the time & money to you. i know mine is.
IPB Image Andy
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 22 2005, 01:16 PM)
with access to the right tools, it's a 30 minute job to do it right

...and your girlfriend Jenna Jamison helps IPB Image

You couldn't even get them cut out in 30 minutes, let alone welded back in. In just one floorpan half there's gotta be over 150 spotwelds.

C'mon Andy, you are going to have to layoff the IPB Image a little IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 22 2005, 02:09 PM)
C'mon Andy, you are going to have to layoff the IPB Image a little IPB Image

i quit smoking (cigarettes) when i was 14. never smoked a single joint in my life ...

but besides that, i was talking about the actual metal work. that excludes taking the seats and carpet out and stuff like that.
yes, if you drill out spot-welds, it'll take longer, if you just cut around the edges and overlap (or butt-weld) the whole thing doesn't take much time at all.

plus, i bet he didn't do his FG patch in less than an hour either ...
IPB Image Andy
RD Evans
Hey Perry, I'm planning this repair this spring. How about posting some pictures of how the "pros" do it?
jwalters
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 22 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 22 2005, 02:09 PM)
C'mon Andy, you are going to have to layoff the  :toke: a little IPB Image

i quit smoking (cigarettes) when i was 14. never smoked a single joint in my life ...

but besides that, i was talking about the actual metal work. that excludes taking the seats and carpet out and stuff like that.
yes, if you drill out spot-welds, it'll take longer, if you just cut around the edges and overlap (or butt-weld) the whole thing doesn't take much time at all.

plus, i bet he didn't do his FG patch in less than an hour either ...
IPB Image Andy

IPB Image actually is took 18 min from start to finish......fiberglass is too easy to manipulate--and comes in soo many styles that one trilayer on each side of the pan is all you need--mixed the resin in 30 sec--then applied--then went to go get a beer and let it cure--then I was done

And what is this about taking the time to do it right?? IPB Image Man, this is MY party and I can cry if I want to-- IPB Image

Time--yea thats a good one--time... IPB Image I sure don't got enough of that IPB Image

You all do know that a # of fiberglass is stronger than a # of steel??? IPB Image

JD--are those flares on your car??? Can't tell--
DJsRepS
Boy I sure could use some of SirAndys point of view on rust repair. My car would be alot further along! Ive got bottom tunnel repairs and passenger side floor and near the cluster pedals and pas side windshield post and some around the head lights and front trunk seal. Ive done both sides of motor bay and all 100% under the drivers seat inc the cross brace. I had to work in a friends open carport. And I had to gas torch all of it. I felt lucky not to have burned the car up doing all that welding near the Tunnel. I used steel rod on stress areas and ran brass all the way around..... anyway my point to all this is I am not looking foward to all the rest so it is hard to get in the mood to do it. Sure would help to have a nice shop equiped with nice tools.
jwalters
IPB Image hear ya man--I got most tools needed, but no shop--doing everything in my front yard--when I can--I work 70-90 hours a week and it is all I can do to make one small accomplishment--and it is getting very daunting---a couple of times already I had to talk myself into not crushing the thing---chugg-chuggin away...........

Too bad you are so far from myself--I could use another teener dude around to wrench and talk shop and drink beer....there are a couple of teener guys down here, and I put out invites--but no takers...strange.... IPB Image
iiibdsiil
I forgot about ya when I came down for x-mas break from Tampa... Sorry. It was the day before I was going to leave, and I went "oh shit!"

But we can get together sometime. And if you wanna drive up to Boynton Beach, I have a warehouse you can use. And, if you need to leave the car there you can. 12,000 sq feet! Not all of it is mine, my mom's fiance owns it, but I have a pretty good chunk that we have allocated as mine. Definitely enough room for another car. I have lotsa hand tools too, just not much fabricating equipment.
jwalters
QUOTE (iiibdsiil @ Jan 23 2005, 11:20 AM)
I forgot about ya when I came down for x-mas break from Tampa... Sorry. It was the day before I was going to leave, and I went "oh shit!"

But we can get together sometime. And if you wanna drive up to Boynton Beach, I have a warehouse you can use. And, if you need to leave the car there you can. 12,000 sq feet! Not all of it is mine, my mom's fiance owns it, but I have a pretty good chunk that we have allocated as mine. Definitely enough room for another car. I have lotsa hand tools too, just not much fabricating equipment.

IPB Image You know dude, that sounds like a great place to get all the SoFl teeners together and park our cars in a circle around us and drink beer and party IPB Image Can we light a fire inside???? IPB Image hehe--that could be the new SoFl clubhouse--a place to mingle and something for everyone!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

hehe J/K-- Soounds like a plan one day=I should have my car back together in about 1.5 months from now---spring time!!!!!
jwalters
IPB Image oooops! I just realized I totally hijacked this thread---sorry toys....got carried away. hijack over J IPB Image
iiibdsiil
That actually sounds like a good idea with having all the SFL 914's together.

We will get together sometime.
DJsRepS
I live in Sarasota how far away is Boynton Beach?
iiibdsiil
It is just south of West Palm. I can do Tampa to Boca Raton, which is just north of Fort Lauderdale lie 15 min, in 3 hours flat. Hold on, which coast is Sarasota on?
DJsRepS
Were on the east coast inbetween Ft Myres and Tampa
iiibdsiil
Ah okay. So, for a time reference, it is 3 hours for me driving, which many consider ummm... Asshole. I cruise at 90-95 when possible.

But Boynton is just south of West Palm Beach, and probably 35 minutes or so regular people driving from Fort Lauderdale.

When I moved my tool box from BB to Tampa, it took me a little under 4 hours, I took Alligator alley and 75 north or whatever that route is. I remember traffic not being super great though because of the hurricanes.

Too far for ya? Don't be a wussy. If we get something together, I will pick ya up and bring you back with me, I even have a spare bed at moms house down in Boca Raton.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.