Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breakerless Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RenoRoger
A couple of years ago, I bought a 1976 912E which came with a Pertronix unit in the distributor. I noticed that after about an hour on the road, the car would hiccup once or twice at 65 mph and then smooth out again. Several thousand miles later the problem got worse. At first I blamed the fuel injection. When the car became almost undriveable, I removed the Pertronix and installed ignition points. Problem solved.

What has your experience been?
Cap'n Krusty
As a shop owner, I quickly learned that Pertronix failure rate was pretty high compared to both Compufire and Crane Allison. I tossed a lot of them over the years, and wouldn't sell 'em because I didn't want to cover the costs of replacement and/or repairs due to their failure. Others WILL disagree, but most of those doing so haven't had 40+ years of busy shop experience to back up their statements. Compufire units cost a lot more, but they're made by a company that has a pretty serious investment in the Harley aftermarket. If their ignition modules hold up in a Harley, they'll be fine in a smooth running T4 engine.

The Cap'n
worn
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Jul 28 2014, 08:32 AM) *

A couple of years ago, I bought a 1976 912E which came with a Pertronix unit in the distributor. I noticed that after about an hour on the road, the car would hiccup once or twice at 65 mph and then smooth out again. Several thousand miles later the problem got worse. At first I blamed the fuel injection. When the car became almost undriveable, I removed the Pertronix and installed ignition points. Problem solved.

I have one that hiccups at times - I kinda think. It is mounted on a spare distributor in the trunk. On the engine is a Crane optical unit. I didn't like the flimsiness of it, so I machined an aluminum light chopper on the lathe to match the plastic one and made an aluminum mount for the optical LED and photodiode block. That replaces most of the bent steel bracketing. Works great.

On my TR6 and MGB the pertronix has been flawless. But I keep points in the trunk. The electronic route is really more sensible than points if it is made right. Not exactly a big science project for the company to switch a field. I had an MSD mounted for awhile, but it failed intermittently. I may go back to that though so I can adjust the advance with a knob.
BritCarJim
interesting how different suppliers get a different rep in different communities. the BritCar community swears by pertronix and use 'em like crazy. me included. i've got 4 MG autos and 3 have pertronix...the fourth is in a million pieces (for now). i have no experience with pertronix in a teener but it should be just as good. give me time and i'll let you know...i have one set back for my teener...
RenoRoger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 28 2014, 10:07 AM) *

As a shop owner, I quickly learned that Pertronix failure rate was pretty high compared to both Compufire and Crane Allison. I tossed a lot of them over the years, and wouldn't sell 'em because I didn't want to cover the costs of replacement and/or repairs due to their failure. Others WILL disagree, but most of those doing so haven't had 40+ years of busy shop experience to back up their statements. Compufire units cost a lot more, but they're made by a company that has a pretty serious investment in the Harley aftermarket. If their ignition modules hold up in a Harley, they'll be fine in a smooth running T4 engine.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n. I value your input. I have had more negative experience with breakerless ignitions in VW Beetles. Two no name units similar to Pertronix sooner or later failed for me, one after only 200 miles. Yet, I had a 1974 Dodge pickup for 30 years that came with electronic ignition from the factory. No problem ever.

I'll stick with ignition points for the time being.

RenoRoger
DRPHIL914
I've been running the unit i have(hotspark)- i think is same as compufire - for 5 years now, the mechanic in my shop here locally just said the same thing as the Capt'n, he also has 40+ years working these motors and said they have never failed him in the 356's and 914's he has ran them in. --
76-914
4 + years with Pertronix, no issues and I carry a spare set of points. FWIW, I would carry a spare set of points if I were running points, too.
CMONNETT
I've been running a Pertronix for close to 20 yrs now and have never had an issue. The first 13 yrs the car was being daily driven. I think I got my $50 worth.
914werke
Ugh~!!
worn
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Jul 28 2014, 08:32 AM) *

Just a thought: I suspect the dizzy in my 914 is about 100+ degrees F hotter than the one in my TR6. With pertronix the whole package is inside the distributor cap. They may not have adjusted to that aspect of our cars. I agree - in the LBC world, pertronix is just the thing old trout.
dknechtly
Been running for a few years np. I too keep a set of points in the car (as I would anyway). I actually found it to even out the spark. The timing mark didn't jiggle like with points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.