Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sfreeman615
I am doing the 5 lug conversion and need to remove the old rear wheel bearings. I've heard this can be an extremely tough project. Can anyone recommend the best tool or process to press these out?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Jul 28 2014, 04:49 PM) *

I am doing the 5 lug conversion and need to remove the old rear wheel bearings. I've heard this can be an extremely tough project. Can anyone recommend the best tool or process to press these out?

See if you can rent for free a bearing puller set from you local auto parts store.
I bought a HF set on sake for $ 45.
Did you get the hub removed?
76-914
I've beat them out with a 3lb sledge, pulled them with 1/2 threaded rod and used a press. #1 is the press, hands down. The press requires that you remove the trailing arms where as the other 2 do not.
Sfreeman615
Yes the control arms are off the car and the hubs are off as well.
JawjaPorsche
If your control arms are off here is the best way to remove and install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfC1NiXamA

Rear hub install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDZv0j85Ybc
913B
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=Interesting find&st=20

starts on thread #32.

it was simple and cheap.

76-914
IIRC, I used a 1.25" x 3/4" black steel reducer with a 3/4" nipple screwed into one end to make the piece that goes between the bearing and press.
malcolm2
Sounds like you are making progress Steve. Keep plugging away.

Clark
Cap'n Krusty
An installation tips. Apply pressure ONLY to the outer race when installing the bearing into the control arm. Install the bearing cover once the bearing is seated. Apply pressure ONLY to the inner race when installing the hub. That means you need to support the inner race as you press in the hub. Be sure the hub is filly seated in the bearing before installing the stub axle.

The Cap'n
74914LE
I made a tool using a piece of 3/4" pipe with reducers at each end. The end that goes against the bearing is something like a 2" to 3/4" reducer.
It fit perfectly in the opening on the back side of the trailing arm. I put a pug on that end, and it helped center it in the bearing hole, so that when it was struck by the 2lb. hammer, it stayed in place. All it took was
a couple of taps, and out it came. To install, I have always used a piece of large threaded stock, with large washers and nuts attached, to pull the bearing into place by turning the nuts. Always works great for me. Good Luck!
JamesM
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 28 2014, 05:55 PM) *

If your control arms are off here is the best way to remove and install.

agree.gif
Which is why if I ever need to do mine, I am just going to drive over and let Eric do them piratenanner.gif

I really need to buy a press one of these days!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.