Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area "Crucible"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
If you are aware of the Crucible in Oakland, and you have been wanting to take an "Intro to MIG Welding" class.... this is an opportunity.

They are offering a Saturday/Sunday two-day class.... 10am - 6pm each day.

Single rate is $415

but..... two-person sign ups are $665 for two people. They call it the "fun together" package, but DON'T get any ideas wink.gif

Vailable dates are:

Oct 18 & 19
Nov 15 & 16
Nov 22 & 23

I am going to do it either by myself or with another. I would rather save some $

I am flexible on the date.

Planning to buy a welding set up eventually, so this is a great intro..... I have taken one class (general metal work), and it was a blast. A class spcifically about MIG welding for two long days will pay off.

I live in the North bay, Easy commute to Oakland........ and we can end the days with BEER & BURGERS!

Post a comment or message me...... cheers!

Robert (707) 888-1857
lonewolfe
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jul 28 2014, 08:18 PM) *

If you are aware of the Crucible in Oakland, and you have been wanting to take an "Intro to MIG Welding" class.... this is an opportunity.

They are offering a Saturday/Sunday two-day class.... 10am - 6pm each day.

Single rate is $415

but..... two-person sign ups are $665 for two people. They call it the "fun together" package, but DON'T get any ideas wink.gif

Vailable dates are:

Oct 18 & 19
Nov 15 & 16
Nov 22 & 23

I am going to do it either by myself or with another. I would rather save some $

I am flexible on the date.

Planning to buy a welding set up eventually, so this is a great intro..... I have taken one class (general metal work), and it was a blast. A class spcifically about MIG welding for two long days will pay off.

I live in the North bay, Easy commute to Oakland........ and we can end the days with BEER & BURGERS!

Post a comment or message me...... cheers!

Robert (707) 888-1857

I might be in for this. I've been wanting to take a mig welding class.
76-914
That's a little steep but what isn't in that part of the world. One little suggestion; buy your welder (hopefully a Miller) before you begin classes. You will get the basics in class but not the experience. Also, you don't want to buy a welder 6 months later only to forget most of what you'd learned!
Dave_Darling
They have fundraising events there a couple of times per year. Fun times--they usually have all sorts of neat devices running that do cool stuff with fire. Also glass-blowing, other fabrication, and such. My wife still raves about the "Fire Opera" (where they took a traditional opera and added lots of fire to it!) she went to years back.

--DD
BuddyV
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 29 2014, 07:12 AM) *

That's a little steep but what isn't in that part of the world. One little suggestion; buy your welder (hopefully a Miller) before you begin classes. You will get the basics in class but not the experience. Also, you don't want to buy a welder 6 months later only to forget most of what you'd learned!

..... A few years ago I decided to start taking the welding classes at my local Junior College. Each semester I miss the registration - DOH!!

.... The Crucible is not the cheapest route to an intro to welding, but it is a one-weekend way to get a good start if you are short on time (like I am). And I have attended one all-day class at the Crucible - a father's day present from the wife. I had a blast! It was a "sampler" class, so we were able to experience about two hours of a few differnt things. HUGE fun for a guy that sells office furniture 60 hours a week biggrin.gif

I like your advice about buying my welder before the class. I'm sure I will learn a lot that I will want to continue practicing ASAP.

Cheers!..... and here's to finally learning something the right way. drunk.gif
BuddyV
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2014, 07:31 AM) *

They have fundraising events there a couple of times per year. Fun times--they usually have all sorts of neat devices running that do cool stuff with fire. Also glass-blowing, other fabrication, and such. My wife still raves about the "Fire Opera" (where they took a traditional opera and added lots of fire to it!) she went to years back.

--DD

.... my wife reminded me of their yearly "night" open house that we attended a few years back. Fire, explosions, smoke and more fire!

..... unique place!
Cap'n Krusty
Once you've seen the fundamentals, most of learning welding is practice and critique. You're not gonna get much of either in the time allotted. Community colleges offer cheap classes and LOTS of practice time, with teachers who monitor your work and help you through the tough parts.

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
I took a community college welding class. Brazing, oxy-acetylene welding, stick welding and ONE day of MIG. welder.gif biggrin.gif
SirAndy
The Crucible is walking distance from my house!

So if anyone wants to come over for a beer or three after a hard days work of welding classes ...
beerchug.gif
BuddyV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 29 2014, 10:12 AM) *

The Crucible is walking distance from my house!

So if anyone wants to come over for a beer or three after a hard days work of welding classes ...
beerchug.gif

Andy - it's a deal. I will let you know the dates I select. You still in the lofts??

ps - I bought a set of wheels from you years ago. Still running strong!
BuddyV
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 29 2014, 09:47 AM) *

Once you've seen the fundamentals, most of learning welding is practice and critique. You're not gonna get much of either in the time allotted. Community colleges offer cheap classes and LOTS of practice time, with teachers who monitor your work and help you through the tough parts.

The Cap'n

Cap'n...... you're bumming me out. I know, I know.... there are better, less expensive ways. But it's been YEARS that I cannot (for some reason or another) make it to the local (cheaper) comminuty classes, etc....... so the Crucible, although pricey, is a solid start to a lifetime of sub-standard welds lol-2.gif

.... and now Andy is offering beer! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jul 29 2014, 03:23 PM) *
Andy - it's a deal. I will let you know the dates I select. You still in the lofts??

ps - I bought a set of wheels from you years ago. Still running strong!

No, i moved to a little Victorian close to the West-O bart station. Sent me a PM when you have your schedule.

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jul 29 2014, 03:25 PM) *

The Cap'n

Cap'n...... you're bumming me out. I know, I know.... there are better, less expensive ways. But it's been YEARS that I cannot (for some reason or another) make it to the local (cheaper) comminuty classes, etc....... so the Crucible, although pricey, is a solid start to a lifetime of sub-standard welds lol-2.gif

Overpriced class, free beer, what else can you possibly want? Oh, right, you need me to come up there and rag on your welds. I forgot. Might happen, you never know ..................

The Cap'n
BuddyV
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 29 2014, 03:43 PM) *

The Cap'n

Overpriced class, free beer, what else can you possibly want? Oh, right, you need me to come up there and rag on your welds. I forgot. Might happen, you never know ..................

The Cap'n

Ha! .... welder.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jul 29 2014, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 29 2014, 03:43 PM) *

The Cap'n

The Cap'n

Ha! .... welder.gif

Are you an expert welder by now? smile.gif

welder.gif
Amphicar770
McPherson College in KS offers some great, week long programs. One of the more popular is sheet metal restoration with Ed Barr. Covers all types of welding and more with lots of hands on. I've taken several of their courses, all excellent. They have fun events in the evening. Visiting private collections, driving a Model T, etc.

http://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/institute/
mb911
Wow I should just do a class at my house for a weekend.. Been teaching welding college level for the last 17 years..

Who's in? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.