Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Don't you hate it when PO's take things off the car!!!
When I bought my car (I never really sat in a 914 before let alone work on one) I thought it was pretty much complete. Boy was I wrong. It was missing alot that I didn't know even exsisted. Most of the engine tin was gone but I found that out when I got an old seized-up 1.7 out of a field and saw what I was missing.
Today I was sitting on the throne, going through my Haynes manual and noticed two pieces of engine tin that go on the bottom of the engine.
Air Guide Plates
Item numbers 6 + 8 for a '72 1.7. This would explain why I take so long to get the engine up to temperature.
Does anyone have a couple they would like to sell?
Tx
Rhodes71/914
Hah I am looking for the same ones. Seem the 1.7 that came in the car was missing both and th 2.0 that I bought only had one side which I can't use because I am putting my 1.7 HEs on the 2.0.

Wander why these are missing so often?

BTW thanks of the AA link, I don't usually check them but it answered some questions for me.
Allan
This is becoming quite a trend. Started thinking about all of this and I to am missing both of those pieces. I wonder if that was why my speedo cable was melted. Anyone up for a group buy?
tracks914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 22 2005, 06:08 PM)
I wonder if that was why my speedo cable was melted.

Me too! IPB Image
But I get mine first...... IPB Image
Dr Evil
They are usually left out by a lazy wrench because they accedently forgot to put them on before installing the pushrod tubes. I have forgotten them in the past, but I want back and finished the job right. If I find any in my shack I'll gladly give them away. PM me so I don't forget, and don't rush me as I get side tracked often..... IPB Image

Oh, the piece is necessary to generate the required voticies in the down flowing air to keep it flowing through/over the cylinders (or so sayith the proffecy)
Rhodes71/914
The tin that I was refering to are the ones that go over the push rod tubes, they attach to the block and the HEs. From Doug's reference to the AA site I think those are what he is talking about.

Sean
nebreitling
while it's safe to say that those air guides are there for a reason (and should probably be kept), keep in mind that many of us have been running headers (thus not using these pieces) without any significant head temp problems.
SirAndy
yupp, most of the cars are without them these days. reminds me, i need a set as well ... IPB Image

so, if you happen to come across a hidden stash of those warm air guides, please let me know!
IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 22 2005, 10:31 PM)
keep in mind that many of us have been running headers (thus not using these pieces) without any significant head temp problems.

hum, i don't see why you could run the warm air guides with headers ... IPB Image

enlighten me, oh wise one ...
IPB Image Andy
Rhodes71/914
hum, i don't see why you could run the warm air guides with headers ...

Maybe just for the simple reason that they attach to the HEs IPB Image

Reference pic so Mike can send me the right ones when he finds them IPB Image # 6 & 8
nebreitling
"wise one....." lmao -- sorry, didn't mean to come off as pretentious.

unless i'm thinking of a different pieces, the air guides attach in part to the heat exhangers. my euro race header interferes with their placement. yeah, i could probably rig something up, but then again, i've never seen a 914 with headers AND these "warm air guides". so i left them off -- i've probably got the set around from my '75 if any wants them (free) -- might take a couple days before i have the time to dig through my stuff and find 'em. i THINK they'll only bolt up to late model HE's, but probably easy enough to modify.

btw, andy -- did you check your email?

IPB Image IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jan 22 2005, 10:41 PM)
Maybe just for the simple reason that they attach to the HEs IPB Image

i'm baffled ...

i was under the impression they mount to the case/heads ...
but then again, i never had any, so i'm just going on my foggy memory ...
IPB Image Andy
SLITS
In that image, there are two that are not shown which go directly under the midpoint of the cylinders and attach to the case (2 cheeseheads) and head (1 cheesehead). Heads will not come of engine without removal.

#6 & 8 are well below the others and attach to the case and HEs.
Joe Ricard
Ok you guys SLITS and ANDY are thinking of a different part. not having those parts installed will over heat a motor very quickly.

Warm Air Guides go under the engine. Drivers side has a bend in it for the shift rod. Also has an attachment point on the back of the thermostate. Passenger side is flat. each is mounted to the lower part of the case oil sump. and also to the HE's. I have a drivers side and ended up making a passenger side out of aluminum. Does it help anything???? Don't know don't have any scientific measuring devices.
Joe Ricard
In RICKSO71 post there pictures of each
tracks914
In any case, I don't have parts numbers 6 & 8. (and my car takes forever for the cold start valve to close so they can only help in warming up the engine)
For those of you that don't use them, I would like to buy a set.
Tx
davep
Doug, I have a set that I can sell. These parts are one of the most rust prone on the car. Does that say something about why they are missing so often?
tracks914
Thanks Dave, I'll PM you with details.
skline
Well, just to throw my $20.00 in, check your year and engine size as they were different for a lot of the cars. The late model ones are different that the early and the 1.7/1.8 are different from the 2.0 liter. I went through this when I built my 2270 and had to go looking for them. They are also different from side to side. I like the idea of making my own from aluminum as Joe said. I will do that on mine next time if they are missing.
Rhodes71/914
I like the idea of making my own from aluminum as Joe said. I will do that on mine next time if they are missing.

I think this is the route I am going to go. With the combo of 2L engine and 1.7 HEs I would have to modify anyway. Shouldn't be to difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.