Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost lost the lid. Has this happened to anyone else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
First this is Not. A Knock on the product. I like how it works and I knew up front it's new technology. Just want to know is it just mine or is there a pattern.

Flying down the road at 70 mph and suddenly the motor noise level picked up a notch. The car ran great. Just louder??? Pulled off at the next exit and saw the Engine Lid kicked out on one side ready to pop off the car.

The plastic hold down broke. So. Asking is it just this one or have others broken into? Still considering ordering another so let me know.
JRust
That pic alone makes me think that plastic isn't going on my lid. The idea is good but maybe getting some machined out of Billet confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
I had a set of those. After a close look, decided not to use them. I think they were made on a 3D printer.
02loftsmoor
Bill where did you buy them?
michael7810
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 29 2014, 10:03 AM) *

I had a set of those. After a close look, decided not to use them. I think they were made on a 3D printer.

Same here. Bought them on a group buy here.
bandjoey
They're on our vendor thread. They are 3d printed. The idea is super. Flip the lever and pop off the lid. Just not while driving.
Drums66
.....Large margin for "error" idea.gif
bye1.gif
jsaum
I do plastic injection molding for a living and the 3D printed parts are good for some applications but I wouldn't use them where they have a constant load. It looks like the part that broke is a dowel pin that pivots. Plastic has compression and tensile strength properties and once those limits are exceeded it breaks. Most of the printers use a basic ABS material that is 60% strength of normal molded parts. You could try a metal dowel pin but I think the next weak point will fail.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 29 2014, 08:58 AM) *

First this is Not. A Knock on the product. I like how it works and I knew up front it's new technology. Just want to know is it just mine or is there a pattern.

Flying down the road at 70 mph and suddenly the motor noise level picked up a notch. The car ran great. Just louder??? Pulled off at the next exit and saw the Engine Lid kicked out on one side ready to pop off the car.

The plastic hold down broke. So. Asking is it just this one or have others broken into? Still considering ordering another so let me know.

That was the first generation. Just contact Love3D and he will snd you the next generation pin for free!
Love-3d
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 29 2014, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 29 2014, 08:58 AM) *

That was the first generation. Just contact Love3D and he will snd you the next generation pin for free!

The way to tell if you have the first generation is to hold the pin up to a light with the flat side facing you... If you can see a honeycomb internal internal stucture, you likely have one of first sets. If you send your address to sales@love-3d.net and indicate that you had a failure & remind me of the color, I'll send you a new set of pins at no cost.

The new pins were tested and should not be torqued to more than 60 inch pounds. This should provide a firm closure without failing
ldsgeek
I work on 3D printers and that doesn't even look like the ABS that the Dimension printers use. It looks more like the materials that are used in the MakerBot series, which are much weaker and have a lower heat tolerance. There are FDM materials (fused deposition modeling) which are strong enough for that task (polycarb, nylon, Ultem), but the printers that use those materials start at about $90K and go up to almost half a million. In my opinion, that pin is far to small for FDM, with the hole in the middle taking about 1/2 the diameter.
rmital
I bought these levers a while ago.
Doing much more work on my project car these days, would love to install them to make it easier to remove the engine lid.
since this thread was started, has there been any more failures??
not sure what generation I have, don't see anything when holding the pin up to the light. just solid material.
siverson
I'm confused... where does that part go?

-Steve
rhodyguy
I don't quite understand the difficulty in removing the cover. Simply slotting the hinge allows the lid to pull away after backing the 2 retaining bolts off a couple of turns. Re-installing is a simple one person task also.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 1 2015, 07:12 AM) *

I'm confused... where does that part go?

-Steve

You know... on the car.

Actually, agree.gif confused24.gif
PanelBilly
Mine broke too. I just used the original bolt and nut.
r_towle
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 1 2015, 09:13 AM) *

I don't quite understand the difficulty in removing the cover. Simply slotting the hinge allows the lid to pull away after backing the 2 retaining bolts off a couple of turns. Re-installing is a simple one person task also.

Yup.
Elliot Cannon
A solution in search of a problem. (With all due respect). smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.