Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch pedal friction point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have been driving my car for over a year now and just a week or so ago I finally put the carpet and the pedal board in.

The clutch friction point was always low, but now I am wondering if the carpet and the board are stopping the pedal. Better stated, "Is my friction point too low?" I had to remove the clutch stop on the pedal board.

So where should the friction point on the clutch pedal be? Sounds like a good survey question.

As a follow up... how do I adjust it? I have the 1/2" of play at the top.

Thanks,

Clark
yeahmag
About halfway up. Pull the pedal towards you to measure the free play at top. There is a "helper spring" of sorts that will take up the slack.
malcolm2
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 29 2014, 05:11 PM) *

About halfway up. Pull the pedal towards you to measure the free play at top. There is a "helper spring" of sorts that will take up the slack.

shooting for 1/2", correct? that is what I have, 1/2". I will do some tinkering with that and try to get a good measurement. I have 4400 miles on the clutch cable now, maybe I have some extra adjusting to do.

The play is towards the driver, correct?

Cause with no cable on the pedal it falls to the floor.
yeahmag
That's just about right. You don't need to be super anal about it though.
malcolm2
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 29 2014, 06:20 PM) *

That's just about right. You don't need to be super anal about it though.

I have seen way more anal discussions on this forum and would not consider this concern to be anal at all. blink.gif

The clutch engages the engine at the very bottom. I had to remove a plate that was standard equipment. If I don't get that clutch ALL THE WAY DOWN, the tranny grinds some now that carpet is in the car. That tells me that the carpet and board may be keeping the clutch pedal from going all the way down and fully dis-engaging. That just does not seem correct.

I figured with all these people with similar cars on this site that someone is driving and knows where in the clutch pedal range of motion that the engine engages and begins to move the car.

But thanks replying.
bandjoey
On my phone so I didn't look. Find a thread from Dr Evil. In his signature there was a PDF with about 40 pages on the transmission. It answers this and all other questions.

Try that. I'm sure others will pop in too.

yeahmag
I'd start to suspect the clutch tube pulling away from the chassis at that point.
tomrev

I 2nd the clutch tube; can look good at the firewall, no rust, etc., and still have pulled free up in the tunnel, absorbing some of the motion that needs to go to the clutch fork, to fully disengage the plate. Pull the tunnel carpet, pop off any little inspection plate you see on forward tunnel, and watch the bowden tube for motion as the pedal is pushed to floor.
malcolm2
I will certainly double check the tube. But as I mentioned this car has 4400 miles on a complete rebuild that included a tube repair. It might be, but I would not expect that to be re-broken.... and dammit, I just put the carpet and B-Quiet down too.
tomrev
Out of curiosity, before your tube repair, was it broke at the firewall, or pulled loose up in the tunnel?
malcolm2
QUOTE(tomrev @ Jul 30 2014, 02:33 PM) *

Out of curiosity, before your tube repair, was it broke at the firewall, or pulled loose up in the tunnel?

A PO had made a repair at the firewall, but the rust of both the inner and outer lower firewall required me to repair again. PO also did a tunnel repair. It is not to 914 world spec, i am sure. He used a U-bolt to hold it to the floor.

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.