Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare Find 936JR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Beach914
Found this on CL late Sunday and just picked it up in Oceanside. A Porsche 936JR

Needs complete restoration but I think I've got some considering how little I paid for it.

I will start a resto thread if you all are interested.

I am trying to acquire any information, photos, etc. that I can get to make sure it is done as correct as possible.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
is that a pedal car?
effutuo101
sweet.
carr914
A Friend of mine has one - extremely rare. I don't know if I still have pictures of his. I will be by his shop on Saturday
Rotary'14
Cool!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0fmYJbDP0

Beach914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 29 2014, 11:07 AM) *

is that a pedal car?

No its gas powered. Has a 13.5 hp Briggs & Stratton. Drive through a two speed transmission and differential.

I'll take more pics this afternoon after I get it out of the van and on to some pallets.
Beach914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 29 2014, 11:23 AM) *

A Friend of mine has one - extremely rare. I don't know if I still have pictures of his. I will be by his shop on Saturday

Thanks T.C. any info and pubs on the car will be appreciated.

David
Beach914
Click to view attachment

Took this late last night when I was buying it. Couldn't get a picture of the chassis in front which has broken front welds.
Beach914
The PO has had it for 20 years and when he purchased it in the 90's he said that it had been in storage in a warehouse in San Marcos, Ca. He said it was white and had some blue stripes so I'm thinking it had the Martini & Rossi team paint scheme on it. Now it has Rhino liner......sucks.....
wes
Wow these I believe are quite collectable probably more $$ than your average 914. I think you are right about the paint scheme. beer.gif
carr914
Here's one For Sale - my friend's has the same Jules livery

https://www.stuttcars.com/collectible/20/
Beach914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 29 2014, 01:39 PM) *

Here's one For Sale - my friend's has the same Jules livery

https://www.stuttcars.com/collectible/20/

Yeah. Someone in Europe has one for sale for 18,000 euros. Really crazy huh?

I think these are newer than mine so I'd like to see some pictures of an early one. They seem like they have a few more details than mine has on it.

I just ordered a 2002 back issue of Excellence which had an article in it about them. So we'll wait and see.
Beach914
I have no intention of keeping it and would definitely use any money gained to get my 72 project off the ground. I need a six, chassis stiffening, and the flares put on.
JmuRiz
Very cool!
Someone down the street when I was growing up had the Quaker state Indycar version!
sixnotfour
A Buddy had one and sold it to Gunnar racing....Nice Find
Chris H.
That's cool man. 13.5 hp is a LOT for a kart-sized vehicle made in 1981. It's probably pretty fast. My 5hp go-kart was quite a handful when I removed the RPM governor back in the day.
speed metal army
Oh crap! A KTM 450 would be pretty fun in there..!!
KELTY360
Great find! Unless you really want to do a restoration, you'll make more money if you just flip it in 'as found' condition.
pete000
NICE SCORE !!!

Wayne at Pelican Parts has a mint one...
Beach914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 29 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Great find! Unless you really want to do a restoration, you'll make more money if you just flip it in 'as found' condition.

Thanks for bringing it up and I thought about just flipping it but I'd really like to do it. Actually have my wife's backing on it !!!
I'll be talking to some local custom body shops in the next week or two to see if I can find the right guy to do the body and paint. The body seems pretty solid with a few chips and cracks but nothing major. Graphics and decals would be fun to chase.......

The chassis seems pretty simple and will be easy to repair. I have four Welders in my shop and just bought a miller pulse mig system. They make great tools for me so this should be piece of cake for them.

I'm going to think about for the next few days and not rush to any decision.

Beach914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 29 2014, 07:24 PM) *

That's cool man. 13.5 hp is a LOT for a kart-sized vehicle made in 1981. It's probably pretty fast. My 5hp go-kart was quite a handful when I removed the RPM governor back in the day.

Yeah I've got to think about that motor in there. I'm thinking it originally had a 5 hp B&S motor.

I can easily sell the bigger one and get a 5 horse.
carr914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 29 2014, 11:54 PM) *

I agree. The ones that go for Big Bucks are Originals in beautiful condition. Yours will never be original again
bandjoey
Cool car! Dr Evil has a tail shift conversion kit available. biggrin.gif
Beach914
I think this is what I want it to look like.
Click to view attachment
EdArango
Yep....Must be a Porsche...I see a little bit of rust. lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 30 2014, 12:03 PM) *

I think this is what I want it to look like.
Click to view attachment

agree.gif
Beach914
QUOTE(EdArango @ Jul 30 2014, 11:21 AM) *

Yep....Must be a Porsche...I see a little bit of rust. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Yeah, the hell hole seems to be missing...... I wish my 914 chassis were going to be this easy to restore.
ripper911
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 30 2014, 12:17 AM) *

Yeah I've got to think about that motor in there. I'm thinking it originally had a 5 hp B&S motor.

We had a 25hp go cart when I was growing up, now that was fun! It got stolen...
Beach914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 30 2014, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 30 2014, 12:17 AM) *

We had a 25hp go cart when I was growing up, now that was fun! It got stolen...

That's insane. I was looking at the chassis picture I took and the size of the 13.5 motor thinking it was too big. Without any info on the transmission I'm kinda worried about it taking the increased power and torque.
Beach914
Almost got it stripped. Just need to remove the differential and the I can begin the repair welding. Car took a hit to the left front and entire front end fell off at some butt welded square tubing. I'm going to cut all of it off, square it up and reattach it.

Differential unit is proving fun to remove also.

Through my post on the FerrariChat site I am in contact with a gentlemen that has an Uncle in Poland that may have been involved in the building of these vehicles. Waiting to hear back from him.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
How about this:

http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=CA0813-161604

Beach914
If you get a chance to see the chassis it is very different from mine. It's much more complicated in its construction.
Just wondering why someone would go to all that trouble to make just one 936/77 body. The 936 Junior is a 936/81 I believe.
Beach914
Brought the body home and am stripping it in the backyard with a heat gun and putty knife. Rhino liner sucks. I have about three pounds in the trash can so far. Uncovering lots of cracks, and flawed areas that will need to be repaired. Plan is to take it to a local shop that does custom paint jobs on boats. Saving a lot of money by doing the crap work of stripping the old coating. Have about 7-8 hours into so far. Chassis going to weld shop this week.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=467
764]
Beach914
Done with the major stripping. Don't ever want to see Rhino Liner again........

I have a serious collector here in Los Angeles interested in purchasing the vehicle when it's done. Incentive to get my butt in gear and keep it moving.

Sleepin
Looks so much better!
Beach914
Black was hiding a lot of the body details. Plus it was such a poor job, bondo on the rear, etc. it will give me the chance to strengthen some weak areas in the body.
FourBlades

Cool project! beerchug.gif

Can an adult drive these?

It would be bad ass to show up at the local kart track with one well set up.

John
Beach914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 29 2014, 04:58 AM) *

Cool project! beerchug.gif

Can an adult drive these?

It would be bad ass to show up at the local kart track with one well set up.

John

If you are a man in a 10 yr old's body. No it would be a tight fit, awkward angle for the knees down under the cowling to the pedals. We'll see though, haven't actually had the body mounted on the chassis properly yet due to the frame being damaged.

It would be fun to get some pictures of it once its done, on a cart track going through some corners.

David
Beach914
Been busy with work and haven't made as much progress as I would like but I have finally finished removing the Rhino Liner from the outside and inside of the body.

I would estimate about 5-7 lbs in my trash can. I'm glad it's over after about 18 hours of scrapping.

Next up is to do some reinforcement under the body because of some observed flexing, and some crack repair. Also the rear tailights were made into oval holes with bondo for replacement lights. I'll find something to fit the original slots and remove the bondo. Also need to carefully sand the body down to remove the remaining rhino residue.

As elaborate as the molding and construction of this body is I am amazed that I cannot find information regarding its manufacture. Hopefully someone will see this and recognize it someday.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Beach914
Another Porsche on jack stands while I remove final traces of frickin Rhino Liner.
Beach914
Thinking about re-glassing the entire rear section after this patch is bonded in. Then re-cut the rear vents and brakelight openings.
Progress has been slow but picking up momentum again with nice weather.
Looking for more authentic wheels and tires that will fill the wheel wells. The clunky knobby tire in the picture won't do.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
beerchug.gif Nice work!

Were you able to determine what the original paint scheme was?

popcorn[1].gif
Beach914
Thanks. Not really, no evidence or remnants of any decals or striping. Body was white at one time.

I'm going to stay with the plan to do the White Martini Racing paint scheme and all of the decals. Wayne at Pelican suggested that I consider doing it in a Black base with the Martini Stripes. That's cool too but it raced in white as far as I know.

I have an old friend at HPI Racing (R/C Cars) that does all of the graphics for their bodies. He said he would help me with all of the logos, etc to make sure they are to scale with the vehicle.

Hope to get the body off to a paint shop in June. SoCal Andy said his buddy would probably be very interested in doing it for me.

Chassis is getting re-welded at this time and will be ready for powder coat next week. Ill post pictures soon.
Beach914
Great pics of the 936JR. I've seen one up close also. Nice machine and definitely fabricated different than mine. The company in Poland that fabricated the JR's did not make the one I have. Seeing it gave me and idea of the finish quality which was okay (it is a toy). Some of the fiberglass was wavy and rippled in areas, and some gelcoat cracks in various corners. As sturdy as the body is it will be hard to prevent future cracking. I'll get it best I can.

Tires and wheels were nice but the tires are too narrow. I'm going to go for some wide slicks and fabricate the finned BBS's to complete the look. Wheels are proving to be a challenge to find in the four lug pattern that I have. May have to have blanks made and have the pattern drilled.

Beach914
Pics of some of the items I have been collecting. It's part of the fun of doing this.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
eric9144
popcorn[1].gif
Really cool! If you don't mind sharing, where'd the decals come from?
Beach914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 29 2015, 07:52 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
Really cool! If you don't mind sharing, where'd the decals come from?

A bunch of sites on eBay and just googling. They came from all over New Zealand, Australia, England and the U.S. . A few were motorcycle sites.
I may still have some of the envelopes with addresses if you need more specifics.

May not use most of them if the scale is not right. I'll have my friend help me make some.
Beach914
Need some help. Does anyone that saw this at Rennsport Reunion know who the owner might be. I saw this in Magnus walkers Facebook and it's the only other kart like mine I have been able to find. Thx.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.