Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracked Fuch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryg
Am having 4 spoke fuchs polished and discovered a crack. Am sending it out to see if it can be safely repaired. Thoughts?Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(larryg @ Jul 30 2014, 10:00 AM) *
Thoughts?

No idea on the crack, but the singular of Fuchs is still Fuchs since it is the name of the company.
biggrin.gif
JRust
I have a spare but am not sure where the fuchs it is blink.gif
rjames
Probably, but given they can be had for ~ $100, I'd look for another.
Krieger

agree.gif
carr914
Can it be fixed - yes

Would I drive on it - no
mepstein
Cheaper to buy a new one
larryg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2014, 10:16 AM) *

Thoughts?

No idea on the crack, but the singular of Fuchs is still Fuchs since it is the name of the company.
biggrin.gif

Noted, but I will take credit for getting it correct in the text....well except for a slight capitalization infraction.
larryg
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2014, 01:30 PM) *

Interesting, the wheel on eBay appears to have the same crack!
stugray
I have one bolted to my garage wall that I use as an extension cord reel.

I would suggest you use that one for the same purpose and get a new one.
gms
I own a wheel repair shop and I would not repair that wheel.
It would cost the same amount to buy a replacement.
mepstein
Tighten the bolts by hand, not an impact wrench
Chris H.
Check with Garold Shaffer...he had some Fuchs singles a while back. Otherwise Brad Mayeur...
Porschef
That one's pretty much Fuched. Or Fuchsed as it were...
rhodyguy
it would make an attractive hose/cord reel.
bdstone914
QUOTE(larryg @ Jul 30 2014, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 30 2014, 01:30 PM) *

Interesting, the wheel on eBay appears to have the same crack!

No wonder George is only asking $150 for it.
rhodyguy
all in @$182. kinda spendy for a hose reel.
rgalla9146
It's probably been bent and straightened already.
Which caused the crack.
You can fix the crack.
But there's stress.....it'll be back.
Rand
Some of the replies are entertaining. But just buy another one. It's not a question at all, it's a no brainer. Don't Fuchs with it.

Hose reel is perfect for that one. Air, water, electric, who knew this Fuchs was so versatile.
Katmanken
Buy a new one. Forged wheels have a specific grain structure from the high impact forging process. Welding it will melt the metal and, at a minimum, change the forged grain structure into something weaker.

Not sure if the Fuchs are preciptation hardened to get the strength up (T4, T6) but if they are, applying heat will knock them down to T0 - which is dead soft and easily bent.
ClayPerrine
I have two that have cracked.

I think it is a function of them being 40 years old, and in our case, extra stress from lots of AX events.

Here is what we did with the nicely polished one that cracked:

Click to view attachment

It now resides in our 914 themed den.

Click to view attachment

The light is made with an early 911 air filter for a shade. The beer glass is from the PCA Parade in 2004 in Fort Worth, and the coasters are miniature brake rotors in a caliper for a holder.
Larmo63
In German, "fuchs" means "fox"......
steuspeed
Hose reel or end table. Your choice.
carr914
This just points out for people to check your wheels regularly. A Forge Wheel should be the strongest wheel out there - much stronger than Cast Wheels and much Stronger than the aftermarket (for the most part) wheels.

As much as I think they are the best looking wheel for a 914-6, I would never put a set of the Mahle Gas-Burners on a car. They were the Lightest Wheel ever put on a Porsche due to their Magnesium construction. However Mag gets brittle as it gets older (one of the "new" problems of older 911 Engines), developes cracks & break
naro914
Good thing you found it now or this could have happened... Found while at speed...on a racetrack....a friend was driving Huey and thought a tire was going down!

YES, check your wheels!!

Click to view attachment

carr914
DANG!
naro914
Yep...cracked all the way through, but the center area won't come out.

Clay, that table and all the other items you have there are awesome!

larryg - don't mess with it. Buy a new one, not worth the consequences.
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 31 2014, 07:25 AM) *

This just points out for people to check your wheels regularly. A Forge Wheel should be the strongest wheel out there - much stronger than Cast Wheels and much Stronger than the aftermarket (for the most part) wheels.

As much as I think they are the best looking wheel for a 914-6, I would never put a set of the Mahle Gas-Burners on a car. They were the Lightest Wheel ever put on a Porsche due to their Magnesium construction. However Mag gets brittle as it gets older (one of the "new" problems of older 911 Engines), developes cracks & break

Does it get brittle with age or use(work harden, heat, ect) I didn't realize age would change a metal's structure.
carr914
It may get Brittle from One or Both. My Engine Builder will no longer build Motors on Mag cases after pieces of cases have cracked during Torque Down or while running. Racers don't want to hear that their $50k Fresh Motor is Toast because The Case Cracked or Broke. In Wheels, why take the chance with your life!
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 05:09 AM) *

Good thing you found it now or this could have happened... Found while at speed...on a racetrack....a friend was driving Huey and thought a tire was going down!

YES, check your wheels!!

Click to view attachment

Wow, lucky you. Is this a factory wheel?
naro914
QUOTE(396 @ Jul 31 2014, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 05:09 AM) *

YES, check your wheels!!

Wow, lucky you. Is this a factory wheel?

Actually very good point. No it was not...so another word of warning, DO NOT use wheels made in China for track use.

If you think about it, the stress that gets put on the wheels is enourmous, so age, weather, 'spirited' driving/autocross/track, temperature changes, etc. all contribute to wear down our wheels, just like any other metal or item on our 40+ year old cars.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2014, 11:18 PM) *

I think it is a function of them being 40 years old, and in our case, extra stress from lots of AX events.

The light is made with an early 911 air filter for a shade. The beer glass is from the PCA Parade in 2004 in Fort Worth, and the coasters are miniature brake rotors in a caliper for a holder.

Clay, your table rocks. aktion035.gif Could you give some details of how you made it? If one of my wheels should happen to have a crack in it...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Jul 31 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Clay, your table rocks. aktion035.gif Could you give some details of how you made it? If one of my wheels should happen to have a crack in it...

Buy a wooden top stool from IKEA. Shorten the legs about 4 inches so that the top of the wheel is a little lower than the arm of the couch. Throw the wooden blocks for the stool top away. Go to the hardware store and buy nuts and washers to fit the stock steel lug bolts. Center the wheel on the stool and drill the 4 holes for the lug bolts. Deburr the holes, then paint the top of the stool with a very thick coat of silver paint. Wait for it to partially dry, then take a paint brush and wipe the top of the stool in a circular motion. This will make the metal top of the stool look like a used brake rotor. Paint the tire mounting surface black and bolt the rim on the stool. Then get a 17 inch circular piece of glass and some silicone rubber disks to stick to the rim to insulate the glass. The center cap hole is filled by a 356 emblem that was no longer usable, but you can put whatever you want in there.

Phoenix914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Buy a wooden top stool from IKEA. Shorten the legs about 4 inches so that the top of the wheel is a little lower than the arm of the couch. Throw the wooden blocks for the stool top away. Go to the hardware store and buy nuts and washers to fit the stock steel lug bolts. Center the wheel on the stool and drill the 4 holes for the lug bolts. Deburr the holes, then paint the top of the stool with a very thick coat of silver paint. Wait for it to partially dry, then take a paint brush and wipe the top of the stool in a circular motion. This will make the metal top of the stool look like a used brake rotor. Paint the tire mounting surface black and bolt the rim on the stool. Then get a 17 inch circular piece of glass and some silicone rubber disks to stick to the rim to insulate the glass. The center cap hole is filled by a 356 emblem that was no longer usable, but you can put whatever you want in there.

Thanks for the great writeup. It almost makes me hope I find a bad one. Almost.
scotty b
the word " Reel " implies the wheel is a self winding or hand crank system. You are all 914 owners. We all know none of you made the damned thing an actual working unit dry.gif . Please revise all postings to read " wall mounted hose holder "

TIA and as always...... have nice day smile.gif
larryg

Am having 4 spoke fuchs polished and discovered a crack. Am sending it out to see if it can be safely repaired. Thoughts?Click to view attachment

Thanks for advise everyone, much appreciated. Larry
green914
popcorn[1].gif
DblDog
Wall mount it, use it to wind up the air hose in your man cave...impress your friends!
naro914
QUOTE(DblDog @ Jul 31 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Wall mount it, use it to wind up the air hose in your man cave...impress your friends!

and put a hand crank on it just to piss off scotty b
smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 11:16 AM) *

smile.gif

DO IT !! I dare you !!!! mad.gif If you really want to prove me wrong make it solar powered and motorized. Or better yet, do all that, and tie it into your smart phone so you can wind and unwind it from across the globe. Yeah that'll show me slap.gif

mellow.gif
naro914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 31 2014, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 11:16 AM) *

smile.gif

DO IT !! I dare you !!!! mad.gif If you really want to prove me wrong make it solar powered and motorized. Or better yet, do all that, and tie it into your smart phone so you can wind and unwind it from across the globe. Yeah that'll show me slap.gif

mellow.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Thanks! I was having a crap day, now I can't stop laughing...
lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
mskala
Sell it to AA so they have a pair of cracked ones. Whoever found that AA
post, well that says a lot.
Java2570
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2014, 11:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Damn, Clay....I really like that table idea!!
zymurgist
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 30 2014, 05:41 PM) *

I have one bolted to my garage wall that I use as an extension cord reel.

I would suggest you use that one for the same purpose and get a new one.

agree.gif
Mark Henry
I have one...bolted to my shop...yep a hose reel.

Local shop (mike914) gave it to me for free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.