Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saw a 914 Today (pics)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I'm going to see a local 914 tomorrow. It's a 74, and I suspect that it's probably a 1.8 because it doesn't have chrome bumpers or the 2.0 emblem.

It does, however, have gold letters on the decklid and "2.0L fuchs". So, who knows what it really is - lots can happen to a car in 30 years.

Asking price is a thousand dollars.

-Rusty IPB Image
Rusty
back view. More pics tomorrow.
Lou W
Sounds like a good price, Not bad looking, what are you gonna do with it? IPB Image
mattillac
looks like a new quarter panel got put on at some point. what are your plans for the car? racer? driver? beater? parts sacrifice? IPB Image
Rusty
I dunno. Depends on chassis condition. She couldn't even tell me if it had carbs or FI.

It also depends how much they stick to the asking price. I'm not interested in buying a parts car.

2K in paint will give me a 2k car.
skline
If he was new, I would beg him to reconsider even going, he would be sucked into a trap that there is no escape. Once you buy one and drive one, your desire for one is never ending and the money you will spend will put you in the poor house and cause your wife to leave taking the dog and kids with her. Its like a country song.
spare time toys
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 22 2005, 08:32 PM)
Once you buy one and drive one, your desire for one is never ending and the money you will spend will put you in the poor house and cause your wife to leave taking the dog and kids with her.

Well she aint left yet. IPB Image
skline
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 22 2005, 05:45 PM)

Well she aint left yet. IPB Image

Mine didnt either, she told me if I bought another 914 she would divorce me, why do you think I am looking for another one?
Trekkor
Nice score. If it runs, drive it home immediately.

For $1k, that's a screaming deal, I know people willing to pay $850 to have a roller shipped cross country.

KT
Hammy
Don't part it. IPB Image
xitspd
KT,

Can't go wrong for $1000.00. I have paid much more for much less!

Dan
xsboost90
it looks like it DID have the chrome bumpers, just not on the front anymore. Check it out good and make sure its not a bucket o rust.....good buy for a G.
Rusty
I know it doesn't run. The story is "it's a fuel pump or a relay or something". IPB Image

Yeahhhhhh.

I'll bring my box of relays, some tools and maybe the battery out of Elwood.

-Rusty IPB Image
jim912928
if it is a 1.8...alot of folks will think it's the fuel pump or relay when in fact the flapper in the MAF is stuck shut...cause the fuel pump doesn't go on until that opens via turning the motor over and air opening it up! So, to check the fuel pump out take off the air cleaner, turn on the ignition and push the flapper open with a screwdriver or something..should hear the fuel pump hum away!
Trekkor
Convert it to a SIX... IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
push the flapper open with a screwdriver or something

I used to take the black pastic cap off the top of the air flow meter and move the flapper from there. You can watch it move while it runs, too. Whoopee do IPB Image

KT
Rhodes71/914
Better bring your 12v air compressor.

If it's not nasty with rust take it home.
Rusty
Okay... I went to go look at the 914.

Is the car restorable? Yes. But it would require someone who really loved it. The car is a 74 1.8. It was originally Ivory. It's currently phoenix red, and has some traces that it spent part of it's lifetime as a metallic blue car. Engine lid is a replacement piece, resprayed.

The good: front trunk, floorboards, driver's side long and door jams seem very solid. Both suspension consoles look pretty good, but couldn't check suspension ears. Car is pretty complete, less the spare tire and rear valance. Front windshield appears original, and is in very nice shape. Transmission shifted smoothly, and seems leak free. Cowl area seems pretty rust free.

The bad: Paint - pictures tell that story. The car was tapped in the passenger rear corner. The repair seems like it was done correctly, but there is a small buckle in the trunk floor at the corner. Would require some TLC to make right. Rear lid has the flat spot from negligent closing. Bumpers need replacing, or someone with a bit of plastic filler and can of Wurth black. Broken passenger door handle (exterior). Crappy window tint. Rear window a touch loose. Needs a battery tray & support. The Fuchs are fakes - the chrome is starting to peel on them.

The ugly: This car has serious wiring issues. 30 years of hack jobs like replacement horns, alarm systems and remote starter buttons have made this wiring less than desirable. The fuel injection is a big freaking mess, and would require someone with more experience on a 1.8 than I have to get it going. The passenger side long has serious rust problems, and the door gap isn't right. There is a hole on the top of the hell-hole that will require some cutting to fix.

I brought my Optima with me, but never took it out of the back of the Jeep. Too many wiring issues for me even to begin to start screwing with it.

Restorable? Yes, but probably not by me. I just don't have the time to screw with it. If I get it, I'll part it out.

-Lawrence
Rusty
Ooops. Previous pic was my fishtank.

VIN tag. Matches front trunk numbers.
Rusty
Cut up door panels. Aftermarket alarm. Some red LED above headlight switch. Surface rust around pedal cluster. Accel pedal bolts rusted pretty bad. Floorboards aren't too bad, and could be used as patch pieces. Overspray on center console. Seats & backpad are good as cores. Dash cracked, but not horribly.
Rusty
An interesting remote start button... I think. IPB Image
Rusty
Door gap is good, but the jackpoint itself seems weak. Lift points on the drivers side seemed solid.
Rusty
pic
Rusty
Positive terminal looks like an octopus. Some spray on crap on the firewall. Long has hole.

Fuel injection pieces are everywhere.
Rusty
I think the rear trunk torsion bars have already been cut.
Rusty
Basically solid, but there is a bit of bondo in the corner on the floor. Needs to be hammered out and welded. Pretty straightforward repair.
Rusty
A bit of surface rust, but solid.
Rusty
Surface rust. Would clean right up... or be an excellent donor piece.
Rusty
Carpet peeled back to reveal original ivory paint.
Rusty
pic
Rusty
pic
Rusty
Repair here is doable. I, and many people here, have repaired worse.
Rusty
pic
Rusty
pic
Rusty
pic
Rusty
Just a picture.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Jan 23 2005, 10:44 AM)
This car has serious wiring issues.

i bought a complete wire harness for my car for $100.
with some practice, you can put it in in an hour.
that in itself shouldn't hold anybody back !!!

IPB Image Andy
Rusty
I won't cut this car if someone is interested in buying it to repair and drive. You'd need to bring 4 bolt wheels with good tires to move it.

-Lawrence
boxstr
Lawrence are you buying the car for $1000.00 ? Just curious, it looks pretty bleak as far as rust is concerned, It looks more like a parts car. Soryy that is my opinion.
CCLINCAMPCOUNSELOR
Rusty
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 23 2005, 02:21 PM)
Lawrence are you buying the car for $1000.00 ? Just curious, it looks pretty bleak as far as rust is concerned, It looks more like a parts car. Soryy that is my opinion.
CCLINCAMPCOUNSELOR

I won't pay a thousand for it... just not worth all the hassle for me.
skline
Well, I could fix everything but the tires. IPB Image Tell him I will give him $400.00 for it. The tire repair will put me in the poorhouse.
Rusty
Do you really want it? I can broker/buy it for you, if you're serious.
skline
No, not really, its geographically undesireable. The shipping it out here would make it not worthwhile. Besides, I got a line on a few out here locally.
John
I almost hate to ask.

Where is it, and how little will they take?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.