Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA Classifications
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Hey guys,
I need to figure out what class Huey really should be in. We've been running GT2 for the hillclimbs, but there's no way he should be in GT2.

Believe it or not, other than safety (cage, seats, harness) and minor tweaks, the car is fairly stock. The biggie is the 3.2 engine and steel GT fender flares.

- It's got bigger front torsion bars and rear springs, but those are usually fairly free.
- Brakes are bigger
- Trans is stock
- bumpers are FG, but the rest of the body panels are steel or stock - including roof.

its fully street legal and registered. I just can't see how it's GT2 (other than I guess the engine)...which is the same class as a Porsche Cup Car!! seriously... a sequential gearbox 997 cup from the factory is the same class as a street legal and registered 914???

thoughts or advice? What would it be in SOLO, or Time Trial? Or Club racing?? The hill climbs accept classes from most of the above...

Thanks

brant
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 31 2014, 02:03 PM) *

Hey guys,
I need to figure out what class Huey really should be in. We've been running GT2 for the hillclimbs, but there's no way he should be in GT2.

Believe it or not, other than safety (cage, seats, harness) and minor tweaks, the car is fairly stock. The biggie is the 3.2 engine and steel GT fender flares.

- It's got bigger front torsion bars and rear springs, but those are usually fairly free.
- Brakes are bigger
- Trans is stock
- bumpers are FG, but the rest of the body panels are steel or stock - including roof.

its fully street legal and registered. I just can't see how it's GT2 (other than I guess the engine)...which is the same class as a Porsche Cup Car!! seriously... a sequential gearbox 997 cup from the factory is the same class as a street legal and registered 914???

thoughts or advice? What would it be in SOLO, or Time Trial? Or Club racing?? The hill climbs accept classes from most of the above...

Thanks

I really don't know the current scca rules
but I well know the 1967, 1972, and 1981 scca production rules
the stock motor was a 2.0/6
so anything above 2.0 is probably going to put you into a wild class

whether that big motor is a stock big motor or a fire breathing twin plug...
that is the preference of you... but since its still not a 2.0 its probably going to fall in a BIG, special, and not stock class according to old scca rules.

back when I used to run pca club racing rules, I had a cam in my street 2.0/4
it bumped me into GT classes.... just the cam
because the stock classes didn't allow a cam
and the GT classes did
(even though I had a stock 2.0 with a cam and all of 105hp)

same thing with displacement for PCA
it is either a stock displacement or a GT class car

I know PCA has more loop holes now with their displacement rules
not sure if modern SCCA does or not.

I actually like vintage rules for just this reason
keep the displacement stock and then (my club at least) do what you want with compression and cams within that stock displacement. Of course I enjoy high rpm small motors even though they have less torque. and most vintage clubs allow just that... modified stock displacement motors.

brant
naro914
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just because I choose not to tweak the car to the max doesn't mean it doesn't fall into the class that allows me to do it all... Yes, in PCA it would be GT4...just like Papa Smurf. Same displacement engine, but one is stock and one has about 360 hp...

Was just curious if there was some TT or Solo class that it would fall into that we could run as...I can't seem to find it.
koozy
There are quite a few SCCA guys on www.AXPaddock.com and a bunch of PCA autocross 914 guys. You may get an answer on there. You need to register to get on the forum but it doesn't cost anything. It is a small group of folks but many decades of SCCA and PCA racing experience on there.
Joe Ricard
Sounds like SSM which is a pretty stout class. any DOT tire such as the Hoosier A6 in as big as you want. Got to calculate the min weight without driver.
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517
gms
Like you are seeing and as those here have written, race car preparation rules are generally based on what displacement a car was manufactured with (for the production classes)

The SCCA usually puts cars in classes according to performance in stock configuration.
When the 914 was first introduced in 1970 it was placed in the (now defunct) C-Production class. Back then the 914's nemesis was the Datsun 240Z which has a stock displacement of 2.4L (and it is water cooled). 914/6s were only allowed to build higher compression engines and use more radical cams, unfortunately so were the Datsuns.

Most European manufacturers would build their engines to fit in the GT class of IMSA and FIA which required engine displacement to be under 2.0L (in 1970).

I have seen 914world members successfully compete in SCCA but for the most part they were running purpose built race motors of original displacement with every legal enhancement to the chassis and suspension.

I have heard that NASA (http://www.nasaproracing.com) has a class based on dyno HP, this is nice because you don’t have to build high strung engine of a certain displacement.
naro914
The good news is for the hillclimb, I can and usually do win in GT2 - 3 for 3 so far...unless Cory Friedman shows up with his 997 Cup car!!

He ran the first event back 2011 and holds the mountain record, and of course...he's in GT2...

So not fair....
naro914
But I get it...our other car Papa Smurf would run in SCCA GT2 also. In PCA Club Racing, we run GT4. On paper, it should be very competitive in GT4 - probably in SCCA GT2 too. Haven't had a chance to run it really yet as we've been chasing an oil starvation issue. I htink we have it sorted out now, so we'll see.

For PCA Autocross, Huey is actually very competitive, even though I've added a lot of street comforts (carpet, some sound deadening, etc). Never really went the weight loss route with this car. We use it for a lot of weekend drives and fun stuff now..... But...I can usually compete or be in the ballpark for FTD in most PCA autocrosses we run.

So he's not a purpose built or excellent at anything, but is very good at most things. I really can't complain....this car is SUCH a blast to drive!

Click to view attachment
Heater Guy
I run ITE in Golden Gate Region SCCA Club Racing.

ITE- Improved Touring E

Here are the rules:

The only IT rules that apply to ITE are those listed below.

1. Any tub chassis production vehicle running DOT tires.

2. Preparation rules: International Sedans may modify the floor pan/ rocker panel sections.

3. Cars must meet or exceed the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations.

No HP requirement, motor, aero weight,etc.

That's it. everything else is open (GO Crazy and build a monster).

Your region may call this class something else, GGR calls it ITE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.