Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche crash in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}
Not sure this will work... There was a Mooney single engine plane crash in a San Diego parking lot today. The passenger was killed and the pilot seriously burned. Why is this of interest to this forum? That Mooney had a Porsche engine...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 31 2014, 08:44 PM) *

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}
Not sure this will work... There was a Mooney single engine plane crash in a San Diego parking lot today. The passenger was killed and the pilot seriously burned. Why is this of interest to this forum? That Mooney had a Porsche engine...

Nope, pic didn't work... mad.gif
laflaur
Rob, I believe the plane in question had the Porsche engine removed and replaced with something else a couple of years ago.."2004, the aircraft's original Porche PFM 3200 (217 HP) engine was replaced with a Continental IO-550 (280 HP) engine as part of a ($120K) conversion package to align the aircraft with the Mooney M20R Ovation. "Firewall forward” was all replaced as new!"
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Jul 31 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Rob, I believe the plane in question had the Porsche engine removed and replaced with something else a couple of years ago.."2004, the aircraft's original Porche PFM 3200 (217 HP) engine was replaced with a Continental IO-550 (280 HP) engine as part of a ($120K) conversion package to align the aircraft with the Mooney M20R Ovation. "Firewall forward” was all replaced as new!"

You're probably right John. I just ran the N number and it's registration lists it with the original Porsche reciprocating engine...
pvollma
Here's a nice write-up on the Porsche-engined Mooney if you're interested:

Mooney PFM

Once Porsche decided to pull out of the aircraft engine business, an aviation shop in Florida was set to convert the bulk of the fleet to a regular aircraft engine. However, a hurricane struck while the Mooneys were awaiting conversion, and most if not all were completely destroyed.
GeorgeRud
I'd always heard that the Porsche Flugmotors actually didn't perform as well as the Continental/Lycomings, so the project was terminated.
'73-914kid
For some non-Porsche aircraft info, I'm actually working on composite parts for Mooney, converting door frames and bulkheads from riveted sheet metal to one piece composite frames. Was kinda weird to see the pictures of the plane crash, and to see the luggage door open and look at the door frame I'm working on..

Anywho, carry on with the Porsche flugmotor convo.
tomrev
I got to ride in one when they first appeared; was interesting how "911"y the plane sounded, as well as seeing how different the engine really was from the auto version.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 3 2014, 11:10 AM) *

I'd always heard that the Porsche Flugmotors actually didn't perform as well as the Continental/Lycomings, so the project was terminated.

They were heavy, under powered and had a funky mount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.