Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Jake Raby, is this your official eBay store?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hey Jake,

Looking at this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raby-Aircooled-Tec...116&vxp=mtr

Another member passed on the link. Looks like an "almost" direct replacement for the Web Cam 86a. Want to make sure I'm not buying a knock-off. I know Web Cam heat treats their cams, and it were reground I could be in a load of trouble if it wasn't treated again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted here as I figure another member may jump in first with info.

Randy
Mark Henry
It's a raby cam made by WEB
The type 4 store is now run by LN engineering that's why it's out of Momence, Illinois.
Mark Henry
That cam has a poop load of exhaust lift, I'd find out what it's best for, don't guess.
RoadGlue
Yeah, it does have more lift than the 86a.

Wasn't guessing, but going off some previous motors that others have had good experience with using the 86a.

96 x 66 1911 with 1.8 heads, 2.0 valve sizes, dual valve springs, some flow work, port matched to intake manifolds, rebuilt 40 IDFs... though we're still mucking around with C/R. If I get the piston tops and CC ceramic coated, then I may go up to 10:1... otherwise I'll keep it more sane.

Think I should flow-test the heads too before picking out a cam?

Not looking to reinvent the wheel. There's nothing particularly oddball about this build, so was hoping to just follow others lead. You know, bahhhh sheep. ha!

Randy
rhodyguy
what is your plan for lifters?
VaccaRabite
RAT cam requires RAT lifters or ceramics (and good luck finding them). Using the wrong lifter will kill any cam.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 2 2014, 07:11 AM) *

RAT cam requires RAT lifters or ceramics (and good luck finding them). Using the wrong lifter will kill any cam.

I would double check , these might be the ones ?

http://type4store.com/parkeized-lifters-set-of-8.html

you can send a message (on this new website) to make sure ?

Bill D.
rhodyguy
those be the ones. more cash on the burn pile.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 2 2014, 08:17 AM) *

those be the ones. more cash on the burn pile.

Price is about right, most likely scat lube-a-lobe with parkerizing.
aircooled.net uses scat-lube-a-lobe.
WEBCAM uses a 2 pc lifter with a circlip.

all around the same price.
RoadGlue
I'll use whatever Web Cam recommends. I don't see why Raby's lifters are required if he's using Web Cam's cams built to his spec. The hardening coating/process is exactly the same, so nothing to stress out about. ;-)
RoadGlue
The Type 4 Store lifters are cheaper (ears perked), so I'm sending an email now. Thanks guys.
Jake Raby
Yes, the Type 4 Store is no longer mine. (thank goodness)
Selling parts is too boring for me, now all we sell are turnkey engines. LN is doing a good job with the store, they are much better at selling parts than I was.

Matching cams and lifters is key, no matter what parts you may be using.
stugray
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 2 2014, 10:24 AM) *

I'll use whatever Web Cam recommends. I don't see why Raby's lifters are required if he's using Web Cam's cams built to his spec. The hardening coating/process is exactly the same, so nothing to stress out about. ;-)

I can say from my experience that is not true.
I ordered a Raby cam & lifters, messed with the geometry for months and decided that the cam I got would not work for me.
I ordered a webcam instead, installed it and am running with it.

The difference I noticed was that after weeks of turning the engine and measuring valve geometry (albeit with less than full strength springs), there was zero noticeable wear in the coating on the raby cam.
When I received the webcam, just measuring it with a micrometer marred/disturbed the coating more than the raby cam.
So I dont know if it makes a difference in the long term use of the two cams, but the final coating on the Raby cam did NOT appear to be identical to the webcam coating.

I still have a perfectly new raby cam & lifters on a shelf gathering cobwebs.
I chose to buy webcam lifters with the webcam, and did not try to use the raby lifters.
Jake Raby
Web ground my cams. What happened after that, only I know.

Over time I developed over 65 cam grinds. Some were based from standard web masters, others were not.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 2 2014, 08:37 PM) *

Web ground my cams. What happened after that, only I know.

Over time I developed over 65 cam grinds. Some were based from standard web masters, others were not.

Thanks Jake! I've used a few of your grinds now, and have been very happy with them. Appreciate you chiming in.
RoadGlue
I heard back about the lifters. Looks like the parkerized lifters are the way to go! Cheap compared to what Web Cam offers too. Ordering a set now.

"Nicole Klimzak nicole@lnengineering.com via sonic.net
8:06 AM (2 hours ago)

Randy,

I checked to spec sheets to see if Jake used to carry the 9600 and he did, so yes the lifters we carry would work as he only ever used and continues to purchase the parkerized lifters through us.

Thanks,
Nicole Klimzak
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
125 Gladiolus St. | PO Box 401 | Momence, IL 60954 | Phone (815) 472-2939 Fax (413) 280-9041
RoadGlue
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 2 2014, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 2 2014, 10:24 AM) *

I can say from my experience that is not true.
I ordered a Raby cam & lifters, messed with the geometry for months and decided that the cam I got would not work for me.
I ordered a webcam instead, installed it and am running with it.

The difference I noticed was that after weeks of turning the engine and measuring valve geometry (albeit with less than full strength springs), there was zero noticeable wear in the coating on the raby cam.
When I received the webcam, just measuring it with a micrometer marred/disturbed the coating more than the raby cam.
So I dont know if it makes a difference in the long term use of the two cams, but the final coating on the Raby cam did NOT appear to be identical to the webcam coating.

I still have a perfectly new raby cam & lifters on a shelf gathering cobwebs.
I chose to buy webcam lifters with the webcam, and did not try to use the raby lifters.

Thanks for this info. Jake's last post made it sound like he did do some voodoo work once the blanks were ground to his spec. He orders the parkerized lifters from LM, so unless he does something to those after the fact, I should be good to go.

Interesting stuff!
RoadGlue
Just a quick shout-out to the folks over at LN Engineering (AKA Type4Store.com). Really professional and their customer service is top notch. Their PayPal system was being fussy and Nicole there went beyond what I expected to help out. Email replies and calls were answered right away.

Highly recommended.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.