Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd 914-6 GT Fuel Line configuration...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
Saw this picture of what was listed for sale as a genuine factory 914-6 GT car. I noticed the picture of the engine compartment shows a odd fuel line crossing over the carbs. Whats up with this ? Why would they do this? I do not see how the flow would allow for it to do anything. I know stock 911 and 914-6 engines do not have this configuration.

idea.gif
monkeyboy
Can't say it's original, but it looks like a return fuel system. Keeps the fuel cooler in the lines, and helps with vapor lock.
rhodyguy
Unrestrained battery too. In the lower right of the picture it looks like the fuel filter is in the compartment?
SirAndy
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Aug 1 2014, 03:36 PM) *

Can't say it's original, but it looks like a return fuel system. Keeps the fuel cooler in the lines, and helps with vapor lock.

agree.gif

Looks like it's setup to use the return line to the tank to keep the fuel cooler ...
smile.gif
914Sixer
Battery hold down is setting in the middle of cooling shroud.
bdstone914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2014, 04:01 PM) *

Unrestrained battery too. In the lower right of the picture it looks like the fuel filter is in the compartment?

You can see the battery hold down clamp in the middle of the fan shroud.
brant
return lines are slightly superior
especially for track use
especially in hot climates
especially at altitude
brant
picture
larryM
can't be a return line - look at it - all it does is balance the psi across the "back ends" of the 2 manifolds, using a pair of non-std inlet/outlet banjos

maybe the "mechanic" did not have the correct banjos?

anyway - a return line is not necessary on a carb'd car - at least 300 million cars have been built without such - the fuel pump is internally relieved at about 6 psi, and that solves the problem

of course - if one incorrectly installs an injection pump instead of a low psi carb pump , you DO have to get rid of a helluva lot of psi & flow

Eric_Shea
Yes it can and it is. Check the diagrams on how to route one... as stated above, it's a very competent and effective modification to keep the fuel cooler.
pete000
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 2 2014, 10:52 AM) *

Yes it can and it is. Check the diagrams on how to route one... as stated above, it's a very competent and effective modification to keep the fuel cooler.

Does anyone have the diagram how to route the fuel lines using this method?
I assume it involves the return line at the fuel pump.
racerx9146
Larrys right, balance line. If you returned the fuel with carbs you would need some sort of flow restrictor on the return to make sure the bowls filled, never seen it done.

Daron

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 1 2014, 09:25 PM) *

can't be a return line - look at it - all it does is balance the psi across the "back ends" of the 2 manifolds, using a pair of non-std inlet/outlet banjos

anyway - a return line is not necessary on a carb'd car - at least 300 million cars have been built without such - the fuel pump is internally relieved at about 6 psi, and that solves the problem

of course - if one incorrectly installs an injection pump instead of a low psi carb pump , you DO have to get rid of a helluva lot of psi & flow

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 2 2014, 11:59 AM) *

Diagram? You run the outlet of the left carb to the return pipe in the chassis .................

The Cap'n
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 2 2014, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 2 2014, 11:59 AM) *

Diagram? You run the outlet of the left carb to the return pipe in the chassis .................

The Cap'n

With the fuel pressure regulator downstream of both carbs.....
brant
The orange car is mine. No such thing as a balance line. Show me a car made today without a return. Cooler fuel equals more horse power. And the fuel doesn't care if it approaches the needle/seat from the front or back.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Aug 2 2014, 01:20 PM) *

Larrys right, balance line. If you returned the fuel with carbs you would need some sort of flow restrictor on the return to make sure the bowls filled, never seen it done.

Daron

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 1 2014, 09:25 PM) *

No he's not.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 2 2014, 12:59 PM) *

Grady had posted a few in Pelican.
pete000

Grady had posted a few in Pelican.

I found the thread on Pelican, interesting reading. I wonder why Porsche did not set up the cars this way from the factory?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.