Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB...Anyone have EGR counter they're not using?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
streetrover
Hi,
I've recently done a V8 swap, and my center longitudinal is so crammed with oil cooler lines, modified shift linkage and such that I'm thinking of re-routing my speedo cable. An EGR counter and some cable customization would allow me to extend the length of the speedometer cable.

Thanks,
Bob
beer3.gif
euro911
Go to Speedhut and get a GPS speedo idea.gif

I had them modify the 'artwork' to eliminate some of the tick marks on the face so it would look more like the OEM gauges ...
streetrover
Wow...those are cool! And what a super-easy installation! Tell me...how accurate is the GPS speedo? Does the needle jump around or is it nice and smooth?

Bob
euro911
Um ... I haven't installed it yet busted.gif ... just like a lot of other cool stuff still sitting here in boxes dry.gif

A couple of other guys out here have installed theirs, maybe they'll chime in.

I guess I can toss it in my truck and check it's operation idea.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 1 2014, 08:25 PM) *

Go to Speedhut and get a GPS speedo idea.gif

I had them modify the 'artwork' to eliminate some of the tick marks on the face so it would look more like the OEM gauges ...

What model/size did you get ?
streetrover
This is as close as I could get to the stock gauge without any $custom$ modifications. I think it's pretty close.
IPB Image

Now to save up $325!
euro911
This is what I ordered, Jim. They charged an additional $10 to eliminate every other tick mark. They "forgot" to eliminate their advertisement logo at the bottom dry.gif

Click to view attachment
streetrover
Hmmm....I measured the hole in the gauge cluster and by my tape it measured 4 3/16" so I thought the 4 1/2" gauge was required. huh.gif $10 extra to eliminate the extra tick marks....that's not bad!
euro911
I took the advice from those who've gone before me and ordered the 4". Don't forget there are rubber gaskets that the gauge(s) slide into too. You can always wrap the circumference of the gauge housing with tape if it fits too loosely.

Jim PM'd a question about repainting the face, and I replied:

I unscrewed the front bezel and the clear face plate, exposing the black gauge face below. I'd like to blot out the "Speedhut made in USA" lettering at the bottom.

Maybe I'll blot out the 'MPH GPS' lettering as well and use some white transfer letters to make it read VDO ? idea.gif

If NHS normally repaints gauges, I don't think they'd have any problems. Just make sure it operates correctly before modifying it. Disassembling it to paint the face may void the warranty confused24.gif

I have a set of Paul's (spunone) silver gauge bezels, so I ordered my GPS gauge with the silver bezel. Study your current set of gauge(s) and order to best match them. Early gauges have the silver dot at the needle pivot ... late gauges have the black dot. I guess one could glue a real silver dot on it to really make it look even more like an original silver dot gauge idea.gif

EDIT:

I couldn't wait to find out. Here's mine modified with a silver dot on the pivot smile.gif

Click to view attachment
streetrover
WOW... that is freakin' FANTASTIC! Just beautiful! beerchug.gif
Chris H.
I'm just installing mine and you will have to do some tape wrapping to get the 4" to fit but as Mark shows it's the closest to stock. The 4.5 is a little too large for the stock look. I'll post some pics later today if I can.

Actually here are some pics. You have to use the rubber ring but the speedo seems to fit perfectly that way. No taping. The 4.5" tach is SLIGHTLY small but we'll figure that out. The only issue I see it that the gauge is very shallow. I might need to trim the depth of the plastic (I have a later gauge holder, '74 and earlier are metal).

Some grainy pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
streetrover
VERY NICE! biggrin.gif And it looks like a super-easy install! Was there a threaded plastic sleeve you used to cinch the gauge in place? I noticed your numbers look VERY VDO-ish....do you remember the font style you ordered from Speedhut?
Bob
euro911
Not sure if that was directed to Chris, or me.

I went back and forth on their site and finally ordered the 'Century' font. The numbers are thinner than VDO, but out of their offerings, Century appeared to be the closest to VDO.

If you call them and provide a pic, maybe they can print the numbers in a BOLD style?

Yes, there is a screw-on cinch ring on the rear.

Tim (timothy_nd28) did the bright white LED lighting upgrade to my set of OEM VDO gauges, so I'll have to see how they compare. I might need to upgrade the lighting in the Speedhut to match them confused24.gif

And no, Tim ... I still haven't gotten around to installing them hide.gif

... and Chris, do you still have the side-shift stuff and front inner motor mounts available?
ConeDodger
I have one somewhere in my storage garage...
Chris H.
Bob,

The font I used was Eurostyle. It's more like the 80's style Porsche font. And yes the gauges are screw-on. Very nice setup.

Mark,

You mean the stuff I have been promising to sell you for like 1.5 years but never did and just didn't respond but you've still been cool about it? I still have the stuff and I'll definitely sell it to you. Honestly I think my primitive recesses will not allow me to sell it off until I drive my car with the new setup to make sure I don't hate it. I'm about 2 WEEKS from driving it and then it's all yours. Just installed the gauges in the pod.

BAM:

Click to view attachment

If I did it again I MIGHT go with just the standard tach like this:

Tach

I got the revolution with the lights and everything. It's cool, but I like the old school style. BTW they WILL ADD a redline if you ask.

euro911
Chris, is the tach a 4" or a 4.5"?

If I need a 4", this is what I'd order

Click to view attachment

If 4.5", then this one

Click to view attachment

'Century' font to match the speedo, but I'll also need to check to see if I'll need to modify the 'tick' marks
Chris H.
4 1/2. that's the one I have now. It's slightly small for the opening BTW so you do have to run some tape around the ring. I cut a piece of electrical tape in half so that there were enough threads exposed to screw it in to the housing. Took some wrapping but it looks good now.
76-914
To answer your earlier question. No they do not jump around and the response time appears to be instant. I'm not quite sure yet as my eyes are having some difficulty adjusting to the G load. wacko.gif You will choose whether you prefer an instant start up read small battery drain or delayed about 15 seconds with no drain. There are very few times that I need to see the speed within 15 sec's of starting it. shades.gif Also, you can order those Speedhut gages with or w/o the silver dot. poke.gif No need to put pasties on, Mark. lol-2.gif
euro911
Yes, they offer a choice of needle styles and buttons, but their 'silver dots' look cheesy and really don't match the OEM ones.

This speedo is going in the 'BB' ('75) for now, so it don't need no pasties, but it may go into Dianne's car at some point and I'll want it to look like it belongs there shades.gif
Jeffs9146
An EGR counter and some cable customization would allow me to extend the length of the speedometer cable.

I have an EGR Counter you can have! Just pay me shipping! PM me your info and I will find out the shipping from NorCal to SoCal!
euro911
Hmmm ... I'd approach the post above mine with some caution.

The wording looks quite similar to the scams you can read about on the Bird board idea.gif

Maybe you can post some pix of the 'requested product', Willie confused24.gif
Chris H.
agree.gif Take Jeff's free one...nothing good can come from "willie".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.