Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slooooow Wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I checked the wiring to see if everything was good and it appears to be. Wipers start out slow and gain a little speed but not much. High speed is just barely working. Nothing seems to be binding underneath. Not excited about pulling gas tank and air box.
saigon71
It may be your motor, but before pulling the tank & air box to replace it, drop your fuse block underneath the dash. Pull the relays out and clean the connections. Take a small screwdriver between the prongs and bend them out slightly so they make better contact and test your wipers again.

I had intermittent problems with my wipers, then read a thread on 914world with this suggestion. It fixed everything. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Clean and greased 40 year old wiper linkage also helps.
Rand
Two kinds of lube. One on your moving parts. The other on the glass, ala RainX. Amazingly, the right use of RainX and you don't want wipers.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 2 2014, 08:50 PM) *

Clean and greased 40 year old wiper linkage also helps.

agree.gif that and pull the arms off (and chrome cape & nut) add a few drops of oil to the arm shafts.
partsman
I recently replaced my switch and there was a noticeable increase in speed....just thought I'd mention it
Cap'n Krusty
Remove the arms and the circlips that hold the shafts in position. Lube the shafts with a good quality penetrating oil. Run the wipers. Put nuts on the shafts to prevent mushrooming. More than one nut may be prudent, if they'll fit. Gently tap on the shafts, knocking them downward into the threaded housings. Keep lubing them until they move freely. When they're loose, shut off the wipers, pull the shafts back out, and reinstall the circlips.

The Cap'n
914Sixer
I got a round to the wipers today. I did pull the arms and let the wiper run with out them. No noticeable difference. A new problem cropped up when I put the arms back on. They stop about the 3/4 position. I reset the switch and mounted the arms again. They the wipers went below the windshield. Kept moving the arms to different positions with similar results. I will do as the Cap'n says and lube the shafts with PB Blaster tomorrow. As an added bonus I found that one of the ears on the fuse block was broken off. So there is an another job to add to the list. Probably going to get a JWest block and be done with it. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.