Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piston Ring sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
Just finishing, or at least trying to finish, assembling my 2.0L.

Ordered all the parts from Pelican everything looks good until I get to the piston rings. I ordered a everything online and it said one required. So I ordered one set. Arrg, it was one set PER CYLINDER! slap.gif

I want to autocross in 2 weeks...should have looked at EVERYTHING when I received the order. Will know better next time.

Oh well I'll just get started sizing these ones until I get the rest. Cylinder is .03mm over 94mm and the ring gap is already .025-.027 inches on both compression rings? Shouldnt they be at least close to spec out of the box?
toolguy
.03 mm is only .001 inch. . which would add .00314 to the circumference/
but your ring gap for new rings exceeds wear limits. . generally should be around .014 - .020 max
check the manual for your engine
cwpeden
Thats right, Wrong rings or bad batch, from Goetze
Mark Henry
Did you really expect a full set of Goetze rings for $22.50?
The cheapest set of rings are Grant and they are around $45., Goatze sets are always sold per cylinder and price should have been the tip off.

My guess is your barrels are over spec and bell mouthed. Push the rings down to the middle and see if the spec changes, then try again at the bottom of the cylinder.
On the flip side a study I read said an over spec ring gap may cause no more blow by than on spec rings.
cwpeden
Thanks Mark, I didn't really look at the price, hence the Stooges smilie. Kinda like going to Costco, its the total that matters.

According to my mic. the barrel is 3.701-.702 where i'm setting the rings. The used rings are .020 inch gap. Hmm, I'll call Pelican on Monday.

Really all I need is 2 top compression rings for a 2.0. Anyone wanna overnight some to Western Canada? confused24.gif Or could I just go to the local VW shop and use VW parts? The only diff is is the second ring right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.