Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where should the oil pressure sender wire be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I'm doing the prep work for my first ever engine removal (on any car).

I'm using the Pelican tech article and it says "Now, move over to the passenger side, and disconnect the oil pressure sender from the main wire harness. This should be a single green wire connected to the sender which sits below the sheet metal near the oil cooler." I see some green wires around the distributor, one of which appears to go down to a sensor that this on top of the engine, more in the center of the engine than the distributor (see green wire circled in red in the pic below). Is this the wire I'm to disconnect? It seems to be in a loom with other wires that connect to the coil and I don't see in the instructions where one is to remove those connections. So this makes me wonder why this one should be disconnected and not the others. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Yeah that should be the right connector. Pressure switch is right next to the dizzy.
dlee6204
There's also no point in disconnecting that wire for removing the engine. Now the oil temperature sender wire needs to be disconnected for engine removed and it is also on the passenger side of the car
doug_b_928
Thanks, Doug. So, that wire is in the same "loom" with other wires that connect to the coil, at least I think that's what I saw. So why only disconnect it from the pressure sender? I know the write-up is right, but I'm just confused based on what I'm seeing.
doug_b_928
We were writing at the same time smile.gif. That makes sense, no need to disconnect the pressure wire. But, a temperature wire.... mine is a 73 1.7. There isn't a gauge in mine that gives a temperature reading. There might be a warning light, I don't recall (haven't driven the car in 20 years). Would my car have said wire?
dlee6204
Yeah that "loom" is the ignition harness. Removing it is not necessary for engine removal. You disconnect the other end of that loom at the relay board. So I believe the article meant the oil temperature sender wire which is located down by the battery tray close to where the throttle cable comes through. This is only for cars with an oil temperature gage.
doug_b_928
Ah...excellent...now it all makes sense. No gauge in my car. Thanks so much for the clarification. I love this forum!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.