Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you guys move a tub?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Here's the scoop....

In the next 2 to 4 weeks my new race car tub goes to Jerry Woods for fitment of oil lines, drive train, tranny cooler, and the fabricating and placement of the Woodward power steering rack.

It's being rolled over with the suspension bolted in and the stock steering rack in. Once the Woodward rack is measured, cut and fitted...then pulled....the old rack doesnt fit anymore.

Anyone have ideas on how to move the tub back to the body shop? My trailer is a 24ft Haulmark...plenty of room...just how do you move the tub around without a steering rack....

She't going back to be painted after the final fitting and welding of parts.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill P.
skline
The only way I could think of would be on a trailer. If you have a rotisserie you could move it on that in a driveway but from one place to another, a trailer is the only way. Get yourself some of the funiture dollies from Harbor Freight to put the car on once of the trailer.
VegasRacer
Wheel Dolly
neo914-6
Wheel dollie?
J P Stein
Were it me, I'd build a 4 wheeled dolly.....a big SOB.
2 sheets of 3/4 ply sandwiched over 4 X 4 s.......lotso screws & glue. 4 big casters from HF .....2 of which swivel.
4 pads... 2 X 6 under the doughnuts.....piece of cake, but 150 (or so) bucks
McMark
Construct something that will go between the tie rods. You'll have to push on the wheels to "steer", but at least the wheels won't wander independently. A piece of bar stock and some bolts should suffice.
Gint
My first thought was the same as Mark's. Make a temporary one piece tie rod.

Got some old stock tie rods? Any kind of welder and a piece of mild steel stock? It doesn't have to be pretty.
McMark
Actually, all-thread and a couple of old tie rods wouldn't need any welding. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
i agree....wheel dollies
nine14cats
You guys rock! IPB Image

Wheel dollies would be easiest....temporary tie rod would be somewhat easier to push up in my trailer....hmmmm.....I have choices!

I can't wait to move the tub!

Thanks all!

Keep the ideas coming.

Bill P.
spare time toys
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jan 23 2005, 04:28 PM)
You guys rock! IPB Image

Wheel dollies would be easiest....temporary tie rod would be somewhat easier to push up in my trailer....hmmmm.....I have choices!

I can't wait to move the tub!

Thanks all!

Keep the ideas coming.

Bill P.

Is the trailer ramp door? if it is just use a floor jack under the nose and lift it up enough to turn the car as you push it.
xsboost90
i was thinking a 2x4 w/ a hole in each end and some wire to tie it onto the spindle/tierod areas, kinda like the allthread idea to make the wheels move dependently.
736conver
I actually used bungee cords for awhile. Hooked from one ball joint, or in that area, to the other. I think it was like three of them. It work to get it out of the garage and onto the trailer. If you were just moving it around the garage I would go with dollies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.