Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: From Fuchs to Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Going to a 195x65x15 from 195x60x15. Just a little bit larger diameter. The big experiment is using tire beads, well, actually air soft pellets stolen from my son.

The good - Installation at NTB was cheap, $10 to mount the tire with tire beads.
The bad - well, no bad. I drove the car up to 75mph and it was as smooth as ever.

Aircooledtechguy had suggested this before. I'm a fan.
speed metal army
More details! Did you have a nagging balancing problem? How many airsoft pellets? Etc..
mepstein
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Aug 3 2014, 09:40 PM) *

More details! Did you have a nagging balancing problem? How many airsoft pellets? Etc..

Yes, Both the oem steelies and set of Fuchs with the 60's had a shake ~50-70. I still haven't checked the wheel bearings but so far, so good. 3.5 oz per tire.

*a real test would be for me to ditch the wheel weights on the older tires and drop in the beads. If that cures the shake, I'll really know its a winner.
ldsgeek
I've used the beads for years on my motorcycles and will never go back to weights. The only problem is with wider tires, they can't correct for much lateral imbalance, but the 195s should be fine.
bandjoey
Is there just one size air soft and what are they made of? Where did you buy these? This might be a cheap fix for that 50-70 shake. Did u do the rear tires too?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 4 2014, 10:34 AM) *

Is there just one size air soft and what are they made of? Where did you buy these? This might be a cheap fix for that 50-70 shake. Did u do the rear tires too?

I've heard you have to use the higher quality airsoft beads, the cheap ones disintegrate.

Like to know the details as well smile.gif
stugray
But if you have a blow out on the highway at speed, you might be accused of shooting airsoft guns at other drivers.... :-)

Although SOME of them deserve it...
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2014, 09:32 PM) *

Yes, Both the oem steelies and set of Fuchs with the 60's had a shake ~50-70. I still haven't checked the wheel bearings but so far, so good. 3.5 oz per tire.

*a real test would be for me to ditch the wheel weights on the older tires and drop in the beads. If that cures the shake, I'll really know its a winner.

So you HAD a shake and now you don't or confused24.gif ? It got better?

mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 4 2014, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2014, 09:32 PM) *

So you HAD a shake and now you don't or confused24.gif ? It got better?

Had a shake with 2 other sets of wheels and tires. No shake on my limited 20 minute test drive. Tires are new.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 4 2014, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 4 2014, 10:34 AM) *

I've heard you have to use the higher quality airsoft beads, the cheap ones disintegrate.

Like to know the details as well smile.gif

These a good quality but not top quality. Low quality from dicks or walmart are not very round and jam in the gun. I have no worries about the plastic actually breaking apart. My son is into air soft so we have plenty of pellets in the house. These were a pellet weight he no longer uses so they were the ones I used. He buys from shortyusa.com. They are online but have an outlet in their warehouse in Newark de so mostly we just stop in when were nearby.

I did the rears as well.

I have pellets in the tires on my gt build but have not driven the wheels.

There's lots if info online, I just figured I would add my real world experience. I will update the thread if I'm less than satisfied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.