Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holly fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
eimc
Iam running a holly red fuel pump on my 914-6 race car . It's a 2.2 with 40mm webers.I had hesitation problems after about 4 laps at pittsburgh grand prix. I cleaned the idle(progresion) jets( 4were clogged) started the car and it sounded ok. As I was checking in the trunk for fuel leaks I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Then I checked the fuel pressure at the regulator and it was 3 pounds . Checked both fuel filters and cleaned , blew air in all lines to check for restrictions and everything ok. Mounted another holly red fuel pump and ran for 10 minutes and it was hot to the touch also and fuel pressure would not go above 3 pounds. I presume pressure should be 6 to 9 pounds ? Anyone have any opions? Thanks Paul
Matt Romanowski
I have a Holly blue pump and it's always hot. I thought it was going bad but maybe they just run real hot?
vintage914racer
I have a holley blue and it is also hot to the touch after a session on the track. I think it's just he nature of these pumps.
eimc
QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 3 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Iam running a holly red fuel pump on my 914-6 race car . It's a 2.2 with 40mm webers.I had hesitation problems after about 4 laps at pittsburgh grand prix. I cleaned the idle(progresion) jets( 4were clogged) started the car and it sounded ok. As I was checking in the trunk for fuel leaks I felt the fuel pump and it was hot. Then I checked the fuel pressure at the regulator and it was 3 pounds . Checked both fuel filters and cleaned , blew air in all lines to check for restrictions and everything ok. Mounted another holly red fuel pump and ran for 10 minutes and it was hot to the touch also and fuel pressure would not go above 3 pounds. I presume pressure should be 6 to 9 pounds ? Anyone have any opions? Thanks Paul

What pressures would you run ? Yhanks Paul
slivel
QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 4 2014, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(eimc @ Aug 3 2014, 04:21 PM) *

What pressures would you run ? Yhanks Paul

I run A Holley Blue and two regulators. The first regulator is a Holley 4.5 - 9 psi bypass type located near the pump and I return the unused fuel to the tank to keep it and the pump cool. The second regulator is in the engine compartment and is a Holley 1 - 4 psi non-bypass type that is set to 3.5 psi. This works well with my Webber 46's.
Steve
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
J P Stein
I put a Facet pump in with no regulator. (noisy sumbitch)....fully expecting it to be a temporary thing. It was still there when I sold the car 12 years later.
Bog simple is good.....cheep too. 40 mm Webers with 4.5 psi of pressure with no problems. The pic is about 8 years into its life.

Click to view attachment

ETMracing
What do you all use for thread sealant on fuel items?
stownsen914
QUOTE(ETMracing @ Aug 11 2014, 05:05 PM) *

What do you all use for thread sealant on fuel items?

I just did some research on this after having an issue with a pressure regulator not sealing properly at the NPT fittings. I ended up choosing a thread sealant that Earl's sells. Some said that teflon tape and liquid sealant were OK, others said not. The Earl's stuff is meant for sealing fittings for fuel and oil applications on car plumbing, so I figured their stuff should be a good choice.
campbellcj
I can't remember if I used the special sealant goo or regular teflon tape...but years later I have zero leaks. I'm running a Holley Red with no regulator. I used to have a regulator and gauge but my mechanic/builder removed it saying it was unnecessary with this pump and my setup. This is the low pressure (6-7psi) pump designed for carbs; with the Blue pump (11psi) you definitely need a regulator, or a different pump.
jd74914
I've used both regular teflon tape and pipe dope; both work fine. I'm a bigger fan of teflon tape because it's easier to take off the fittings if you are reusing them and is dry at application.
brant
AN fittings seal on their matting face

BY DESIGN

no tape necessary

J P Stein
IIRC, I had 3-4 NPT connections....the rest were AN. I used tape on the NPTs but was damn careful not the let any teflon hang over into the joint. The fuel block was downstream of the filter.
campbellcj
Likewise - tape only on the pipe threads. Brant is right about AN fittings. Good ones fit precisely and don't leak without any tape or goo.
ChrisFoley
I generally avoid using teflon tape on oil and fuel fittings due to the possibility of getting some into the line.
I use Permatex pipe sealant where I don't use tape.
ETMracing
Sounds good to me, I knew the AN lines should seal tight but I have not switched over to them yet..just use NPT now. I will try some purposed Sealant again but if not I might work with some Tape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.