Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 in Tangerine Life Long Pursuit!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Been looking for a 914-6 my whole life, well maybe since I was 16! Used to drive by a '70 914-6 in silver throughout the '70's even when I had a '73 914 2.0 just would get out of my car and walk around it and just dream (price tag on it was $10,000 in 1981. Now I am guy who grew up watching my uncle start up his '65 vette and peel rubber on his way to work. This was along with my 2 older brothers and that is what started us on our quest for owning our own sports cars. The opening scene in the movie Le Mans was similar to what we viewed every morning out in New Rochelle, NY when we visited my fathers family even though it was a '65 vette it made the same impression on us. I found this 914-6 out in West Virginia, it first showed up on The PCA website in January 2012 and was probably under priced, well the seller got spooked with all the responses and requests and withdrew the for sale ad. Lucky for me I was one of the first to respond and got several pictures, email and phone number. I stayed in contact with the owner over the next 2 years via email and received an email this past January saying he was ready to sell and wanted me to have the first shot at it. Wow! We agreed on a price and I flew out to Dulles and was told not to rent a car because he was going to pick me up at the airport (remember we never met before!). It was a 45 minute drive back to his house in WV and guess what there was not one minute of silence even though he was a Florida Gator and I was a Univ. of South Florida Bull we really hit it off, I could tell he was really happy I was getting the car. When we reached his driveway it took 5 minutes to get back to his Pole Barn which was situated on 10 acres, the barn had 2 racecars (corvairs) and a mid 80's Carrera that was showroom condition plus the 914-6. We shook on the deal and he did not want a deposit (imagine that!), oh, and he said I could leave it in storage as long as I needed and just bring a check when you pick it up. This guy was old school, you know a handshake meant everything to him (you know I wanted to give him a deposit and get it in writing!).

The car came with the original 2.0 engine but currently has a '76 911 2.7 installed and it is awesome!! My '71 Targa is not getting any attention lately, just the minimum to keep the fluids moving through. Needless to say this purchase was almost fairytale like because it is hard to believe that this car is sitting in my driveway.

Car is original paint (90%) tangerine, has 7" x 15" all around in original RS finish, interior is original carpet, I added the houndstooth (thanks to some earlys911 members)inserts also came with original Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM, steering wheel (in storage) and tool kit. It is a great car and the most photographed car (at intersections) I have ever owned. I will be bringing it to French Lick in 2015 hope to see you there! Enjoy the pictures! Forgot! all 4 fenders have been rolled to accommodate the wider rims, it was very well done.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
SKL1
That is a VERY nice find. Wondered how you got those wheels under the stock fenders... I've got the original houndstooth seats in my '71 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sure you'll enjoy that, especially at around 5K rpm...
mepstein
Mike - Congrats! Your car looks great. I have never seen rolled fenders that fit that size tire and wheel look so perfect. Really looks like it's oem. Enjoy! Mark
A big congrats! Dreams do come true. Enjoy in good health.
worn
QUOTE(396 @ Aug 3 2014, 06:30 PM) *

A big congrats! Dreams do come true. Enjoy in good health.

agree.gif drive the holy heck out of it and wash at every chance. Way cool!
GeorgeRud
Any chance you might bring it to Garold Shaffer's picnic in Portage, IN in a couple of weeks? I think folks would like to see it as well!
mgp4591
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2014, 08:28 PM) *

Mike - Congrats! Your car looks great. I have never seen rolled fenders that fit that size tire and wheel look so perfect. Really looks like it's oem. Enjoy! Mark

Great looking car- glad it's yours! What size tires do you have on those wheels? The look is perfect! smilie_pokal.gif
Cuda911
Wow!!! Great car... congrats!!!!!
914Sixer
Really nice ride!! I like your comment about the seller. I am an old Texas Boy and that is the way I work too. Your hand shake is your word.
pete000
I can see why the guy got bombarded with responses when he first listed it !

Fenders look "Pulled and rolled" in order stuff that much rubber in there...

Nice score !!
rhodyguy
REALLY NICE!!

bcheney
I love stories like this...congratulations...I am a Gator and would have done the same thing for you! Enjoy this car and we would love to see it at the Tropical Ramble III down here in FL this November.
wndsnd
Beautiful Car!

John
Cairo94507
Mike:
Stories like this restore my faith in people. What a beautiful car and terrific way to come into ownership. Best wishes and many happy miles. Michael
Java2570
Mike - that is absolutely beautiful!! I hope to see that at an event soon!! Jon
Alapone
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Aug 4 2014, 08:56 AM) *

Mike - that is absolutely beautiful!! I hope to see that at an event soon!! Jon

ohhh man that car is awesome. congrats
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 3 2014, 06:58 PM) *

Any chance you might bring it to Garold Shaffer's picnic in Portage, IN in a couple of weeks? I think folks would like to see it as well!

Trying to work that out, hope to make it!
scotty b
Awesome find Mike. that'll make one hell of an addition to the stable smile.gif
Krieger
WOW!
JmuRiz
What a great car...but why hold out on the engine bay.

If it's 1/2 as nice as the rest of the car we'll all be drooling even more!
TJB/914
Mike,

Congratulations, beautiful 914-6 and color. pray.gif

I met Mike at Parade in 2013 and bought a radio from him, Mike is an outstanding 914er. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
SirAndy
first.gif
rgalla9146
MMMMMMMMMM Orange !
Proof that factory style flares are not the only way to look outstanding !
relentless
Congratulations on an early Christmas present!
gereed75
very nice car. I was also lucky enough to have a great transaction from a real square guy on a really solid six. Amazing in life what can make you happy huh??

oh yea, love the houndstooth! I think it would look really great on my light Ivory car hmmmm...............
jfort
great car. great story. thanks for posting. I bought my six from Jim Chambers in Ashland Oregon sight unseen and shipped it to Ohio. It, too, has been a great car. thank God for honest 914ers.
gms
I saw Mike's car a couple weeks ago, it is a beautiful survivor having most of it's original paint. very nice score Mike!
t collins
Wow, that's a real beauty!
porbmw
It's pretty well all been said, already.
But man...it is a NICE looking car!
boogie_man
Wow !! awesome find and congrats on an nice car. beerchug.gif
Harpo
WOW, I'm envious. Beautiful car
JRust
Wow congrats man! Absolutely sweet to find & own a six like that.
dw914six
agree.gif Welcome to the amazing 914-6 circle. Its a fantastic looking car. smilie_pokal.gif I love the seats. I have the same in my 6.
PanelBilly
Have you ever thought of adopting another child. I'm a bit older than the other kids, but I'd call you Dad from the start.

Can I borrow the car tonight , Dad?

Nice find
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.