Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8 Spoke Empi help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MecGen
Hello Group
I want to get a set of American Racing, Empi 8 spoke wheels.
I found them locally at a air cooled VW supplier, great price.
I used to talk with these boys a few hundred years ago and they were into the 914 scene, now not so much. They can't confirm these would fit a 914, do to the offset.
I am using a 195 tire with no clearence problems. I am worried about the center hole dia and offset. For a last resort I could buy one and try it but it is not refundable if it has been mounted/used. Not to mention the shipping.
Can some kind person confirm that these work, or someone that has them, take a couple measurements for me, or even better the American Eagle part # so I can ask the parts guy if it is the same.
Lots to ask from this forum newbi IPB Image
Thanks
Joe
d7n7master
I've had empi 8 spokes on my '73 for years with no problems.
Except - 195's will NOT fit in the rear due to insufficient fender clearance on the passenger side. - on my car.
Your's may have clearance. I've heard that their all a 'lil different from the factory.
jwalters
IPB Image I have a set of black 8's with 195-50 series on them with no clearance issues at all--they are used, but in good shape, tires have about 1k miles on them,,,can be yours---------cheap IPB Image
scotty b
I put these on my dads car with 195 60's and had to work the rear wheel wells a little to get a decent amount of clearance so 185 should be O.K.
MecGen
Cool
d7n7master = this is the look I am going for !! did you get them from a VW store ? I am concerned that AR made the same wheel for different cars, maybe not a one size fits all, I hope these would work.
jwalters = I can get them in Canada for $65usd new
your tire combo is a little wider then mine, 195/60,
Very interested, but I suspect shipping costs would kill the deal.
How much? PM me if you want, or my email
Thanks
Joe
Mueller
how much room do you have right now between your tires and the rear fender lip?

take one of your current rims off, measure from the hub (mating surface) to the outside edge of the rim(the rim, not the tire)

now do the same with the 8-spoke wheels if the shop will let you...if the measurement on the 8-spoke wheels is less, than your current rims and your tires are very close to the fenders, then the 8-spoke rims more than likely will rub with the 195's

most bug shops sell those rims for about $50 to $75 each new....personally I'd save my money and get some good quality rims like the 15x7 revolutions that are being advertised in the resource center IPB Image
d7n7master
Joe,
My car had rivieras on it when I bought it. I can't stand rivieras....
I got my empi's from a porsche junkyard. $100.- for all four. Took them home, checked them for runout and gave them a good cleaning/polishing.
I'm saving my slush money for Revolutions.
MecGen
Yeh the best way is to compare
My car is stored for the winter,and it is not easy access for me to try rims.
But I am interested in the resource center, where is it ?
I am going to run a search IPB Image
Thanx
Joe
Trekkor
My street set-up is a 195/50 on Riviera's.
Same backspacing as the Empi.
Only rubbed the driver's side rear. A little fender roll and we're good. IPB Image

KT
MecGen
Found them, Revolutions.yuk
not for me IPB Image
Joe
Mueller
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Jan 23 2005, 10:02 AM)
Found them, Revolutions.yuk
not for me IPB Image
Joe

whatever IPB Image ....I'd rather have a great quality rim than a cheap cast rim made from recycled Budwiser cans that is more at home on Herbie the love Bug....LOL

In the classifieds, someone back East is selling a set of 15x6.5 mini-lights that are perfect for a stock 914....you gotta like them, the american racing rims are copies of the original Mini-lights
MecGen
I looove Budwiser IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Jan 23 2005, 06:20 PM)
I looove Budwiser   IPB Image  

IPB Image

btw ... I have 8 spoke with Marshall 165 SR 15 on them ... without problems IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.