Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Significant leak!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB620
So... I'm no mechanic but I'm thinking it's not supposed to look like this! I just recently brought my car back to life after many years of sitting. After driving a bit then parking I noticed a drip and this is what I found. Just what do you think is going on here??? Thanks in advance!
Mike Bellis
Looks like undercoating... Thick, sticky, weird pattern. Sort of looks like it's coming from the breather but kind of not.

Clean it and see where the leak is originating.
76-914
agree.gif Have you touched it. Looks like some stuff I had on a trans but it wasn't a leak.
rjames
agree.gif
A lot of it looks like paint. Clean it up and see what's left.
JB620
Ok sounds good, I'll try that first before completely freaking out.

JB620
Ok, cleaned it up a bit- as much as I could reach squeezing up and under the back end. What should I use to get into the smaller surfaces?
flash914
Check the oil levels Engine and transmission and go drive it to see if it comes back.
Gordon
SirAndy
Brake cleaner works wonder for cleaning that stuff ...
smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JB620 @ Aug 5 2014, 10:08 AM) *

If you're gonna completely freak out anyway, just do it now and get it over with ................

The Cap'n
JamesM
Is it up on the underside of the trunk floor as well? Based on where it is being thrown, i would guess gear oil leaking on to and being thrown from the CV, and then baked on from exhaust heat.

Dr Evil
That thick black stuff is not gear oil. Its tar or undercoating someone sprayed. It could be asphalt resurfacer. I see it on many transmissions, but that is not associated with a specific leak pattern.

Leaking stuff is what you should be interested in. Follow leak. Check levels.
stugray
QUOTE(JB620 @ Aug 5 2014, 01:33 PM) *

Ok, cleaned it up a bit- as much as I could reach squeezing up and under the back end. What should I use to get into the smaller surfaces?

UH OH!!! You made a clean spot! Now youre going to have to do the whole thing or THAT will drive you crazy..... shades.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 6 2014, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(JB620 @ Aug 5 2014, 10:08 AM) *

If you're gonna completely freak out anyway, just do it now and get it over with ................

The Cap'n

The Cap'n of the head demons has spoken. Sound therapy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.