Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to help a fella out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tweet
So, I'm trying to help someone out with their 914. I don't want to rewrite forum history so I'm reaching out to ya'll. I have looked extensively, but have not been able to find threads on the proper installation of the trunk lock, upper latch, lower latch, etc. Specifically though, the correct orientation of the trunk lock installed. He is having trouble with his trunk. I'm pretty sure he probably did not install something correctly. I would like to send him some good visuals and some instructions. Thanks in advance for the help.
Dan
SLITS
Define problem ...

not latching down?

not locking?

not unlocking?

etc.,
tweet
The trunk is not opening. I have already sent him plenty of information on how to open it. Now I would like to send him information with pictures so he can confirm that he installed everything correctly, so he doesn't repeat this problem.
SLITS
I'll try to get some images.

Most probable is the little tit on the backside of the lock cylinder is broken off or it is mounted in the wrong position. It won't release the latching mechanism if this happens.

Ok,

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tit is installed vertically in the unlocked position. When you lock the trunk, it is in a horizontal position.

Taking images of the assembly is impossible without removal of the latching mechanism mounted to the body bracket.
tweet
This is my suspicion as well. He doesn't know why it won't open, so I would like to send him some good reference pictures, for after he gets the trunk open. Who knows maybe the cam snapped or bent. Maybe it's just oriented the wrong way. This way he can compare his to a photo. Thanks for the input.
SLITS
Images added to original post.
tweet
Yes, everything has to be uninstalled. That is why I am looking for pictures of just the trunk lock installed without the the bottom receiver in place. Thanks, for the pictures it's a good start. Maybe someone has a picture of just the trunk lock only in place from one of their build projects.
rhodyguy
more pictures. the little metal post on the back of the button should be at about 1 o'clock when looking from the rear of the car to hit the release lever. has he tried gently leaning on the center back edge of the hood while pushing the button? the little bump stops on the outer corners might adj a bit too high making the release lever hard to work. he may have to go thru one of the r trunk plastic cups with a pile of extensions to unbolt the lower latch assembly to get the lid up.
tweet
I sent him just about every known method of accessing the trunk by different methods. That was just earlier today, so I have to wait to hear back from him. I told him it can be manually released once you pop out the targa cups, remove the weather strip, undo the trunk hinges, drill a small hole in the trunk floor, etc. he is just going to need patience to do it. But after he gets it open, he needs to figure out what went wrong, ergo pictures of the trunk lock orientation. It's just easier to see a picture sometimes than have someone describe it. A picture is worth a thousand words.
rhodyguy
why mess with the hinges or anything other than the button assembly? wacko.gif . pop the cups into the trunk. both of them. the extensions and a navigator with a flashlight looking thru the other hole will make short work of it. if he goes the extension route tell him to duct tape the extension connections.
tweet
I agree, but I am not familiar with his skill level. That would be my approach as well. I just wanted to give him all of the options available and let him figure it out. Not everyone has the extensions to undo the bolts, so they can go with the bent wire/hook method. I even told him if he has a project car to check for holes in the trunk floor and go from the bottom up. I guess any method is viable as long as you don't use the hammer and screwdriver approach as some have in the past. smash.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(tweet @ Aug 5 2014, 01:56 PM) *

I agree, but I am not familiar with his skill level. That would be my approach as well. I just wanted to give him all of the options available and let him figure it out. Not everyone has the extensions to undo the bolts, so they can go with the bent wire/hook method. I even told him if he has a project car to check for holes in the trunk floor and go from the bottom up. I guess any method is viable as long as you don't use the hammer and screwdriver approach as some have in the past. smash.gif

Once it is open, tell him to take the pin assy off the trunk lid, after marking it's exact location, of course.

Once you can press it into the lock receiver and have it pop up with the key, THEN you put it on the lid, and hopefully it will work after that. Much easier to see/feel what's going on with the lock and pin that way...
RFoulds
I once had a trunk lock that was rotated 90 degrees out. Maybe its as simple as rotating the lock until the keyhole, unlocked, is vertical.
rhodyguy
silly ? time. he has tried the key in the lock? open is slot verticle. locked is 90* ccw to the left, slot horizontal. $15 worth of HF extensions and he's in biz.
Eric_Shea
Taking images of the assembly is impossible without removal of the latching mechanism mounted to the body bracket.

You could get in the trunk with a camera. I could shut it and you could take some pictures. I'd let you out. I promise. blink.gif
tweet
B
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2014, 07:22 PM) *

You could get in the trunk with a camera. I could shut it and you could take some pictures. I'd let you out. I promise. blink.gif

I love this place. Now we're locking innocents in trunks. But to be fair, leave some emergency rations, in case you forget to come back for him. beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif
tweet
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2014, 06:54 PM) *

silly ? time. he has tried the key in the lock? open is slot verticle. locked is 90* ccw to the left, slot horizontal. $15 worth of HF extensions and he's in biz.

From what he said, he has tried the key, but the trunk lid won't open when he depresses the button.
mepstein
the extension suggestion is really the way to go
tweet
Porsche really should have had the foresight to include a simple emergency release cable. After all they put two cables in for the engine lid and front trunk. But I guess they would rather sell replacement locks and master keys.
rhodyguy
just checked. when in the locked position the little arm on the back side of the cly rotates off of the plunger arm on the latch housing. as mentioned the cyl is prob in the wrong orientation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.