Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saw this 1975 914 FS near my house today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Cuda911
Today as I was driving around town I saw a black 1975 914 for sale on a small used car lot.

The dealer has no idea what he has. He thought it was a 1971 911!!!

He said that it is owned by the Weseloh family. Weseloh owns a large Chevy delarship here, and I believe some other dealerships as well.

He says he is selling it on consignment for Weseloh, and Weseloh wants 22K.

(Obviously, he is dreaming. I think it's a 5-6K car, maybe, tops).

I checked the car out... pretty bad, but someone here may find it of interest. I didn't start the car, but apparently it runs.

Here's some pix.

Cuda911
Some more pix:
rhodyguy
22k? blink.gif the dealer is going to get very tired of washing it for eternity. flag.gif
mepstein
$3k max
Cuda911
I had a good conversation with the dealer, showed him all the key items regarding the car, told him what year and model it is, showed him how to take the targa off (he didn't even know the top came off), etc. Hah, wait 'til he needs to fill it up and can't find the fuel filler!

I also told him that there was absolutely zero chance the car would sell for 22k or anywhere near that.

He was just spouting the number given to him by the seller.

Here's some obvious issues:

- I have no idea what motor is in it.
- The carb conversion looks to be poorly done.
-Paint is OK at best
- Interior recover is OK at best
- Dash has one of those plastic covers, so I assume is cracked beneath
- Front turn signal lenses have been replaced with cheap aftermarket
- Battery in trunk
- Home-fabricated rocker panels
- Targa top sanded smooth and painted, and done poorly
- I found a bunch of receipts in the glove box for rust repair in 1995. Hard to tell what may have been painted over or otherwise covered up.
-Note the door pulls. Second 914 I have seen this week with kitchen drawer pulls. When did that mod become popular?

This car will be a nightmare for most buyers, but maybe someone who is looking to play around with it might want it for the right price, or for misc parts.

Curious, what do you guys think it's worth? We have a vote for 3k from Mepstein. I see 600 to 800 for the wheels. Blaupunkt radio is worth maybe $100. Tail lenses - $100. Rhody, you seem to be the King of Salvage... what else on this car?
mepstein
$400 for the wheels if they're real, $200 if repros,
less than $3k to someone who knows these cars.
Cuda911
Yeah, I agree. Well, I'll keep an eye on the car, I go by there at least a few times a week.

Dang, when I first saw the car as I was driving past, I was hoping to score a good find. I've never seen a 914 in the used car lots around here (there's a cluster of about 10 or 15 of them, and I'm always looking to see what they have).

Of course, any thoughts of a good score evaporated within the first six seconds of looking at the car. When I asked the dealer how much and he said 22, I'm pretty sure that I literally laughed out loud.
scotty b
5K IF it's solid. Otherwise I'll second Mark 3K pending pics disassembled, on a lift and sandblasted
JeffBowlsby
The wheels are repops.
Cuda911
^^^ Are they? What tipped you off to that, so I can be aware in the future?
Mike Fitton
I think the seller meant $2,200!!
championgt1
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 6 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Center cap says American eagle or something similar.
Cuda911
^^^ Yeah, I know the caps are not correct, but any center cap can be put on, even if they are real Fuchs.

"I think the seller meant $2,200!!"

You know, it's very possible that the guy consigning the car told the place "22" and the dealer assumed he meant 22K, when he actually meant 22 hundred. I may stop in again and ask.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 6 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Find a photo of real 2.0L Fuchs and compare...the detail differences jump off the page, very different quality and look.
914runnow
My .02 on it......
#1-SSI ht xchngrz....1.7/1.8
#2-exhaust either newer or repainted
#3-Cheapo rear shocks..
#4-new/replaced carpet..
#5-the sail vinyl is missing...
#6-a Cali car would have the 'bumperett's.....
Sooooo all n all...points to a once attempted resto....

some observations though..
the tranny is wayyyy to clean..
possible rebuild..(check for oil under car)..
same with the motor...heads are really clean..
I guess some doc's on stuff would be grand...
And get it up in the air....
get the VIN off the car and the engine #...

Is all of the injection stuff still avail??
AND drive it for Giggles!!
Have fun...my take would be 4 to 5 G......
yeah would need to see it in person...
but quite a bit has been done to it..
Cuda911
914runnow: Just to be clear, I have zero intention of buying this car. Just figured some here would find the listing of interest, to see what's on the market.

Jeff, you are correct. I made this image with side-by side pictures. Quite a few detail differences once they are seen right next to each other (bottom image is a wheel from the car in this thread):
Cuda911
Here's the VIN tag:
boogie_man
We worked on that roach in a small area for the owner of Weseloh some time ago. When I went to back it out of the wash rack the trans linkage crapped it's biscuits then got towed to a local mechanic where it sat for another coon's age as the owner swore the trans was new. He bought it sight unseen from the Northern Bay area (Frisco) for a stupid amount of money like 15k as when I went to the local dealer when they were here in town to pick it up. I thought it was pretty trick too until I got up close to it and saw what Cuda saw lol. It also had a "frenched" custom mini truck
antenna in the left fender we fixed for him, also installed a correct antenna and dash cap for him. RUN !!!! It's that bad.
Larmo63
There is a blue 914-6 that I'm seeing around here in San Clemente. 914s are pretty rare to see, even here in the OC. I see one or two about once a week. I always get a little excited when I see one on the road.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 7 2014, 10:27 PM) *

There is a blue 914-6 that I'm seeing around here in San Clemente. 914s are pretty rare to see, even here in the OC. I see one or two about once a week. I always get a little excited when I see one on the road.

That would be me. I drive to San Clemente every morning for work.
Cuda911
Ha, when I saw that post, I figured it must be you, but didn't want to blow your cover.

Hey, they did a FANTASTIC job on my windshield replacement, if you are still interested in doing yours.
Larmo63
I drove up next to you last week taking picture of your car. LOL. You probably thought I was/am some kind of lunatic although I gave you a thumbs up!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.