Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still working in electrical gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I got all the dash lights working except the high beam indicator light. Swapped it out the the turn signal light indicator bulb. Bulb and holder are good. I did not think to put a meter on it and flash the turn signal switch from low to high. Duh ! I did swap the headlight relay out with another good working one and got the same result. I am thinking the new TS switch is not sending the signal to the light, however it does flash from low to high beams. Defective wiring in switch or bad wiring in plug harness ?

Adding this to the continuing list of little @##$$%@. dry.gif

Mike Bellis
The high beam indicator gets power from one of the high beam fuses. If the high beams work, you should have power on the wire, when the lights are on.

The wire is only about 1 foot long or so and easy to trace.
Hank914
I was wondering about that hi beam light also. Mine works, but very very dimly. Do the bulbs slowly fade out or just die? The green bulb in the speedo us super bright, but not the hi beam blue.
timothy_nd28
Make sure the gauge cans are grounded
lsintampa
I know this is an old thread.... but I found it because I had the same issue.

In my case the issue was simply that you can't see that blue light in daylight. Since you can't see it inside the can, the only way is to set high beams on in a dark place. It most likely was / is just fine.

beer.gif
914werke
Resurrection, So troubleshooting inop driving lights it dawns on me that they should only work if on low beams, so I flip the stalk and sure enough they were on High the whole time...DOH!
Problem is the High beam indicator isn't working ...as it should~
Pull the gauge and check the bulbs & grounding ...all good.
Hmmm idea.gif
Rob-O
As stated above, the small lens inside the gauge ends up aging to a non-transparent black color over time. Used to be blue back when new. I changed mine using the plastic tabs from ‘hanging file folders’ that I picked up at Staples. I used the red for the low fuel light (because those are all a weird whitish red color now). Yellow for turn signals and green for running lights and blue for high beams. Some of the pieces I doubled up the thickness. For instance on the fuel lamp I put two pieces of red in the gauge. Just one piece looked okay from the outside but when the light came on indicating low fuel it looked pink.
adolimpio
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Oct 3 2018, 10:53 PM) *

As stated above, the small lens inside the gauge ends up aging to a non-transparent black color over time. Used to be blue back when new. I changed mine using the plastic tabs from ‘hanging file folders’ that I picked up at Staples. I used the red for the low fuel light (because those are all a weird whitish red color now). Yellow for turn signals and green for running lights and blue for high beams. Some of the pieces I doubled up the thickness. For instance on the fuel lamp I put two pieces of red in the gauge. Just one piece looked okay from the outside but when the light came on indicating low fuel it looked pink.

I had the same problem. Lamp was ok, but lense had become opaque over time.
DRPHIL914
interesting as mine has never worked since I bought the car but this may be why! , getting ready to swap out my gauges with Tim's LED set I have soon so I will find out soon enough if its wiring or not.

sometimes these resurrected threads are very timely!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.