Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Oil Leaks-Deep Sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Stark 01
Hello everyone, I'm a first-time poster here and an owner of my first 914, which is a converted race car (done in the 90s). I'm going through the car to get it ready for racing next year and decided to see if I can minimize some of the oil leaks because it is leaking a little too much for my comfort.

I need information on the deep oil sump that came on the car, I think it is a SCAT design. I saw oil leaking from the bottom round plate, and oil coming through the mounting screws in addition to the edges of that round plate that holds the drain plug.

-I removed the round plate/drain plug and gasket. I was expecting to see the pickup and screen when I removed that but what I found is in the picture. It can spin in place but doesn't come off. The oil gets in between this plate and the sump housing, and I think that's where the oil is getting out.

-How do I remove this part to look at the pickup and screen? Should there be another gasket between this piece and the sump? What is it's purpose??

I tried searching the internet, including this site and can't find a DIY article (but I admit my search skills suck)

-Can anyone take a look at the picture and give me advice on what I need to do?
The 914 is a 1973 Body with I believe to be a 1.8L
Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
That piece should come right off. Maybe the screen is stuck on the pick up tube? See who else chimes in. I run a tuna can style sump and there is no screen. When I had a VW bus in the 80s that had a sump like yours. Just trying to go off memory.
Good luck.
stugray
Good to see that the PO was using brad Penn racing oil.
Yes that piece should come right off.
You shouldn't have to pull hard enough to bend it.
Stark 01
OK, based on your advice here I dared to put a flat-head screwdriver to it and gently pry it down, to reveal the screen and pickup tube. Thanks for the encouraging words.

My next objective is to remove it and inspect the gasket that seals it to the stock oil pan. I'm also getting drip-down oil from above this sump and I want to find out where it is coming from.

Yes, I bought the 914 from another 914 racer that has another that he built, so he was a trustworthy person to buy an old car from. When I went to his house to look at this car, I saw a bunch of empty Brad Penn quarts lying around the garage...that made me feel good!

Does anyone know where to get replacement gaskets for these SCAT-type oil sumps?
hedfurst
This may interest you, I had a similar deep-sump.
It was leaking from the top of the sump where whatever mechanism was used to remove/press it from the casting-mold had made a small hole.
Took me a while to figure that one out!
Filled it with J&B.
Stark 01
Yes, that does interest me. I found a small pin-sized mark or hole on the top. I will investigate it and fill it if necessary. Thanks!
Stark 01
After draining the oil and removing the SCAT, I still find oil leaking from above.
The only repair manual I have is the Haynes, which I find next to useless.

Does anybody know what seal this might be coming from? here's my best pictures:

Click to view attachment
Stark 01
And this:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.