Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake tube differences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
I am trying to put the FI back on my engine and I have gotten to the point where I am mocking up manifolds and plenum.

Here is what I know. I have a bigger 2.0 plenum, I have a motor that I was told is a 2.0 that has been rebuilt.

I have 4 bolt intake tubes, but they hit the engine tin, and look like they are too long for the plenum. I am guessing those are for a 1.7. Not sure.

What intake tubes do I need. Are they 2.0 only, or did the 1.8 use the same plenum as the 2.0?
JamesM
2.0, 1.7 and 1.8 all have different plenum and runners.

2.0 heads/runners are 3 bolt, plenum has the throttle body vertical.

None of the stuff is interchangeable.

Are you heads 4 bolt or 3 bolt?

monkeyboy
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 6 2014, 10:17 PM) *

2.0, 1.7 and 1.8 all have different plenum and runners.

2.0 heads/runners are 3 bolt, plenum has the throttle body vertical.

None of the stuff is interchangeable.

Are you heads 4 bolt or 3 bolt?

Four bolt.
Mblizzard
If they are 4 bolt then you don't have 2.0 heads.
TheCabinetmaker
He might have a 2.0L Mike. 2L bus heads have 4 bolt intake.

What's the #on the case?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2014, 03:54 AM) *

What's the #on the case?

I forget that people put the bus engines in the 914! headbang.gif

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2014, 04:54 AM) *

But the Bus 2.0 did not use the 914 intake manifolding, so that doesn't really matter.

If you want to use the 2.0 plenum, you can either get 2.0 intake runner pipes and re-drill the mounting holes, or you can get some 1.8 intake runner pipes and cut them off shorter so they fit with the 2.0 plenum. The 1.7 pipes are a smaller diameter than the others.

--DD
monkeyboy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 7 2014, 07:24 AM) *

But the Bus 2.0 did not use the 914 intake manifolding, so that doesn't really matter.

If you want to use the 2.0 plenum, you can either get 2.0 intake runner pipes and re-drill the mounting holes, or you can get some 1.8 intake runner pipes and cut them off shorter so they fit with the 2.0 plenum. The 1.7 pipes are a smaller diameter than the others.

--DD

Perfect. Thank you.

The case is an EC case. I know it's not original to the car. It has been blown up earlier in it's life.

The heads are stamped from GEX as well. The motor had been purchased in the mid 80's and left next to the car where it was when I bought it all.

It had no induction on it. Since the car was originally a 1.7 this may be why the project never got any farther.
r_towle
from what I remember, the angle of the 1.7/1.8 intake runner tubes are different enough that they dont line up with the 2.0 plenum properly.

I believe you will need the correct 2.0 liter intake tubes, drilled out for your heads, to make everything line up properly.

Rich
TheCabinetmaker
The 1.8/1.7 runners will fit on a 2l plenum Rich. I've done it. They don't line up exactly, but they will work.
JamesM
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2014, 11:11 AM) *

The 1.8/1.7 runners will fit on a 2l plenum Rich. I've done it. They don't line up exactly, but they will work.

They would have be be hacked a bit as they are completely different length, and the 1.7 are smaller diameter.
JamesM
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Aug 7 2014, 06:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 7 2014, 07:24 AM) *

--DD

Perfect. Thank you.

The case is an EC case. I know it's not original to the car. It has been blown up earlier in it's life.

The heads are stamped from GEX as well. The motor had been purchased in the mid 80's and left next to the car where it was when I bought it all.

It had no induction on it. Since the car was originally a 1.7 this may be why the project never got any farther.

Most Likely a 2.0 bottom end with 1.8 heads (or worked 1.7 heads) Pictures of all the components you have would help us identify what you are working with as between all the bus and 914 configurations out there, many options are available.

If what you have is indeed a 914 2.0 plenum, easiest option would be to get 3 bolt runners and drill them to 4 bolts (though given their price i hate hacking up 2.0 injection bits.

Another (and possibly better option if you dont currently have an entire system) Is to pick up a 1.8 l-jet system as that will bolt right on (4-bolt) and should be more adaptable given the unknown motor internals. D-jet takes a bit of tweaking if everything isnt exactly stock and matching.

You can pick up entire 1.7 d-Jet systems dirt cheap (also 4 bolt) however if the bottom end is indeed 2.0 then it will require some tweaking to run correctly, and the super small throttle body and intake runner diameter will choke the crap out of your power (i speak from personal experience on that one)

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 7 2014, 02:43 PM)

They would have be be hacked a bit as they are completely different length, and the 1.7 are smaller diameter.

You are correct. They require cutting and they are smaller. However, they work just fine when installing a 2l plenum on a1.7.
monkeyboy
I'm actually going Megasquirt. I have all the sensors mounted to the 2.0 plenum and the injectors are ready. I just ran info an issue bolting up the intake tubes last night.

Since my car came with no induction at all I pieced together the parts. Apparently some of my 2.0 parts aren't really 2.0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.