Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: How much is an early 911 or 912 chassis really worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I've had a LOT of offers for my '65 911 engine. One person who is interested has several early 911/912 bodies and might be interested in working out some sort of deal involving my engine as part of a trade. I've always liked what Magnus Walker is doing with early 911's and see this as a chance to build something similar. What is the going price for a decent early 911/912 body?

We aren't talking about a "232" car or a potential concours car. Basically, a semi-stripped roller.
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 7 2014, 05:27 AM) *

I've had a LOT of offers for my '65 911 engine. One person who is interested has several early 911/912 bodies and might be interested in working out some sort of deal involving my engine as part of a trade. I've always liked what Magnus Walker is doing with early 911's and see this as a chance to build something similar. What is the going price for a decent early 911/912 body?

We aren't talking about a "232" car or a potential concours car. Basically, a semi-stripped roller.

Rust ? confused24.gif

A nice SOLID LWB complete roller minus drivetrain IMHO 10-15K given the current market. Maybe more depending on what model, interior shape etc etc etc. Your engine is worth a good bit more than that to the right guy.
gandalf_025
I sold an early 65 long block earlier this year for just over 10,000.00
The case was cut to hold 2.7 P/C's many years ago.
It had 2.7 Euro S Pistons/Cylinders but everything else was early 65.
The case was cast in 1964.

There was a lot of interest in buying it at first but it took time to find someone to come up with the cash. Everyone had something they wanted to get rid of to throw into the deal, but cash took longer.
Not sure how strong the Frenzy for early parts is ? But all of a sudden I'm not getting takers on a solex air cleaner for 1800. that is missing the snorkel
I sold one for 2200. earlier in the year easily.

I'd go for cash and spend it as you like. Just my 2 cents.
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 7 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Rust ? confused24.gif

A nice SOLID LWB complete roller minus drivetrain IMHO 10-15K given the current market. Maybe more depending on what model, interior shape etc etc etc. Your engine is worth a good bit more than that to the right guy.

That's what I'm thinking. I would like to put a 3.0 or bigger in it and give the car a mild "outlaw" look.

Rust is my biggest concern. I know you are concerned too since you know where it would be coming for paint and body work! happy11.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 7 2014, 06:43 AM) *

Rust ? confused24.gif

That's what I'm thinking. I would like to put a 3.0 or bigger in it and give the car a mild "outlaw" look.

Rust is my biggest concern. I know you are concerned too since you know where it would be coming for paint and body work! happy11.gif

Job security.... No concern here. rolleyes.gif IMHO if your going the outlaw route, get an 80's SC and backdate. No, it won't FEEL Like an early car, it will feel better. Galvanized, already setup for a 915. Would be cheaper to replace the nose hood and fenders than the whole floor, rockers, nose, fenders, rear seats, rear firewall......... and the SC already has " RS " flares shades.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 7 2014, 10:46 AM) *

Job security.... No concern here. rolleyes.gif IMHO if your going the outlaw route, get an 80's SC and backdate. No, it won't FEEL Like an early car, it will feel better. Galvanized, already setup for a 915. Would be cheaper to replace the nose hood and fenders than the whole floor, rockers, nose, fenders, rear seats, rear firewall......... and the SC already has " RS " flares shades.gif

Interesting thought. I know the SC's are a "better" car. I do like the look of the SWB cars, though.
buck toenges
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 7 2014, 06:46 AM) *

Rust ? confused24.gif

Don't mean to hijack but can you elaborate on resto modding a sc body wise? Sort of singerizing it? metal work and reproduction pieces. Can you get most body panels in metal? How do you handle the back bumpers?

Thanks,
Buck
Cap'n Krusty
What's a "232" car?

The Cap'n
monkeyboy
I believe he is referring to the 64 cars. The first 232 911's were the production run that were sold as 1964 model year.

The Holy Grail of early 911's to some collectors.
billh1963
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Aug 7 2014, 11:19 AM) *

I believe he is referring to the 64 cars. The first 232 911's were the production run that were sold as 1964 model year.

The Holy Grail of early 911's to some collectors.

You got it
Cap'n Krusty
Thanks. While they're rare, and consequently expensive, they're also lacking the substantial improvements (refinements?) of the 1965-1966 cars.

The Cap'n
scotty b
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Aug 7 2014, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 7 2014, 06:46 AM) *

Rust ? confused24.gif

Don't mean to hijack but can you elaborate on resto modding a sc body wise? Sort of singerizing it? metal work and reproduction pieces. Can you get most body panels in metal? How do you handle the back bumpers?

Thanks,
Buck

You take a short hood car, throw out the front end,and replace it with a long hood nose panel, hood, and either early fenders, or modify the late fenders for early t.s. housings. Nothing new, it's been done hundreds of times. Everything is available in metal unless you go RSR then it's fiberglass bumpers regardless of backdating or using a real, early car. Flares are available in metal or glass.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=back+dating+a+911
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.