Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 87.5mm pistons in 911 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bam914
I bought a 2.4L six about a year ago. It came out off a 72 T. I put it in my 914 got it running and took it to the dyno. I took the MFI off and put 40 webers on it. It made 160whp that seemed high to me for a 2.4. On my final pull the throttle stock when I put the clutch in. The adjusters pushed thru the rockers. So I decide to remove the engine. Well I pulled the heads off and found big domes on the pistons. Then I measured the bore and it came up 87.5mm. I looked in Bruce Anderson's book and found a engine listed in there with 87.5 pistons but with a 66mm stroke. Does any body know anything about these pistons? The are made by Mahle. Two of the cylinders need to be replaced. They broke between the head gasket ring and the inside bore. Any info would be great.

Blake
sixnotfour
Mahle for spec race group. I have the same set and the same thing hapened to one cylinder.
Just get another biral cyl. 2.2 or 2.4 cylinder and have it bored, Thats what I did anyway, you could have some nickies made . Hope this helps IPB Image
cnavarro
I have actually made 87.5 Nickies since the birals cannot support such a large bore structurally. EBS did the pistons for the guy. From what I heard, it worked great. I have these on the shelf ready to go, if it comes down to getting new cylinders.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.